• +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

UrT 4.2 pros & cons Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   lebbra Icon

• Account: lebbra
  • Main tag: bw|

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:36 AM

FS is now at 005 release of 4.2 and still servers are as empty as intergalactic space...why UrT community doesn't like 4.2?
Personally I think 4.2 is the best release ever, but this is not the common feeling. I would like to understand reasons of this strange hesitation moving to the last version.

Pro:
- hit detection is greatly improved
- skin are nice and without texture bugs (at least no more than 4.1)
- auth system works
- many new interesting features and cvars has been added
- there are less cheats available

Cons:
- updater still has some problems
- release cycle is fast and unpredictable (a lot of 4.2.00x different server are now running)
- 4.2 is not used in official competitions

Some other significative pros/cons?
aka Dead f.S. - aka |CoN|-=V0l3ur=-, Playing UrT from 2001 - RedCap bot Developer

[img]http://www.dead.it/UrT/logop.png[/img]

#2 User is offline   docDude Icon

• Account: docdude
  • Main tag: =jF=

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:40 PM

Well, it's still a beta... And you can feel that it's one.
That's not a bad thing per se, not at all. New releases need intensive testing.

However, the majority of players are not interested in testing, they are interested in playing games. 4.2 is not as playable as 4.1 at the moment as it's subject to constant change. You need to update the game on a regular basis, you need to get used to new animations (then old animations and back to new animations), admins have to deal with server issues, game mechanics (like stamina regain, bandage speed) get tweaked, so on and so forth.

As I mentioned above, that's what betas are for.. and people interested in UrbanTerror and the development process can live with that and are happy to help out with feedback. Your normal casual gamer can't, though. Players want a game they can rely on.

That's the reason for the lack of player on 4.2 servers, imho.
My ambition is handicapped by my laziness.

#3 User is offline   phd Icon

• Account: phd

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:35 PM

Until 4.2.002 (and then .005) when you played the server would crash at unexpected moments.
If someone is going on an FFA server with a negev, shooting at 32 opponents standing there, spamming like crazy and waiting to be killed, that person doesn't care if the server crashes. That person just reconnects and starts shooting again.

However, consider a person having an organized matches, or only interested in more serious play in TS, bomb or CTF, that person gets totally pissed if the server crashes during a game.

That is why a lot of people went back to 4.1.1, until 4.2 gets more stable.

I think we are pretty close to it and as soon as 4.2 is polished a little bit, the transition will be a lot easier.

Another VERY IMPORTANT fact. A lot of servers are hosted by game server companies. For them, UrT is only a secondary game and they cannot keep up with weekly updates. So if you rent a server, you cannot install the updates yourself. So you have to wait and be stuck with an older version that crashes.
Once the 4.2 version will be stable, people will start to rent 4.2.00x servers and will start to use them a lot more.

(This is only my opinion.)

#4 User is offline   exception Icon

• Account: exception

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:07 PM

Teleport are so slow with 4.2
But I know Fenix is working on :)

#5 User is offline   ButterdBread Icon

•   verified user   

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:33 PM

View Postphd, on 09 November 2012 - 04:35 PM, said:

A lot of servers are hosted by game server companies. For them, UrT is only a secondary game and they cannot keep up with weekly updates. So if you rent a server, you cannot install the updates yourself. So you have to wait and be stuck with an older version that crashes.
Once the 4.2 version will be stable, people will start to rent 4.2.00x servers and will start to use them a lot more.

This is definitely a problem. At the moment, UrT 4.2 is beta, but as soon as it is stable and working these short update cycles won't work really. Game server companies won't update their servers every two weeks and it would split the players using all different versions of the game.

That's only my hypothesis of the future of course ;)

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   Thephoenix Icon

• Account: thephoenix

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:11 PM

the weird thing with people is that there are somes that say something, and others that says the opposite.

I explain myself :

4.2.00* is out :

- somes says "OMG hits are so good now!"

i go on another server : "OMG hits are very bad now!"
i go on another server : "omg, hits are the same!"

(personally in think hits are better but nevermind) so your 'pro' :" hit detection is greatly improved" can be a "cons" for some.

And it's only the example of the hits thing.

Anyway, here is maybe another little "cons" : auth system is not fully operational right now (i mean, ok you can auth but you can still easily cheat i think.. No? what is actually the use of that auth by servers/admins except that there are somes that activated the auth obligation?)

And here is a "pro" (my opinion) : 4.2 is not so very very different than 4.1. So.. As 4.1 was very good, 4.2 is still very good :-)

#7 User is offline   Wolfseye Icon

•   verified user   
  • Account: wolfseye
  • Main tag: FCDE-

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:37 PM

Game Hoster Companies always prioritize which brings most income to them. Compared to a new Update for BF3, an update of UrT is one of the things they might remember again in a week or 2, if you're lucky. I am with UrT for a long time by now, since 2.x (though long breaks in between). And over the years UrT has come from a Mod to a free stand-alone Game. But still, compared to box-office retail games, its impact is low on the Gaming scene. And there is the problem.

It would require someone to organize every new release and, before every new update, contacts the Gamehosters that they maybe even get the new files a bit ahead of time. Couple days or so. Of course that would require some effort. Finding the most common hoster companies that rent URT Servers, contact them and might get the expected reply from them, if at all. But since the FS team became bigger and bigger in the last couple years, there might be someone willing to do that.

That way Server Hosters would be updated ahead of time (compared to players) of a new Update and given a few days to update their Servers. But without notification (basically running after them) that wouldn't work. Hence its a lot of work.

Private Hosters (Clans, etc.) would just need to check for themselves since they are not usually hosted by a bigger provider and there might be no official person to be contacted about new updates.

#8 User is offline   phd Icon

• Account: phd

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:51 PM

View PostWolfseye, on 13 November 2012 - 12:37 PM, said:

It would require someone to organize every new release and, before every new update, contacts the Gamehosters that they maybe even get the new files a bit ahead of time. Couple days or so. Of course that would require some effort. Finding the most common hoster companies that rent URT Servers, contact them and might get the expected reply from them, if at all. But since the FS team became bigger and bigger in the last couple years, there might be someone willing to do that.

That way Server Hosters would be updated ahead of time (compared to players) of a new Update and given a few days to update their Servers. But without notification (basically running after them) that wouldn't work. Hence its a lot of work.

Private Hosters (Clans, etc.) would just need to check for themselves since they are not usually hosted by a bigger provider and there might be no official person to be contacted about new updates.

That will be a good idea once 4.2.x is stable.
I think IFS should continue to improve on 4.2 just as it is doing now.
We have seen a tremendous improvement of the 4.2 version in the last few weeks.

FS should continue to present 4.1 as the official release.
Have new players go in 4.1 and have plenty of server to have fun.
Have this community (everyone who cared to register to the web site and contribute to this forum) continue to test 4.2 and provide feedback to FS.

In 2013, when 4.2 will be stable enough.
When competing players in CB, UZ or FTW agree that 4.2 is competition ready, FS could reach GameServer Hosters and push 4.2 into full deployment.

(I think)

#9 User is offline   Mr.Magoo Icon

• Account: mrmagoo

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:18 PM

I love UT ! And I am so sad with 4.2 :-( Why ? Because 4.2 is UGLY !!!

Take a look a those dummy puppies supposed to be the players ! They are running like robots on drugs. No more testosterone, no more balls ! I feel like playing Zelda...

#10 User is offline   beautifulNihilist Icon

•   verified user   

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:51 PM

View Postphd, on 13 November 2012 - 05:51 PM, said:

In 2013, when 4.2 will be stable enough.
When competing players in CB, UZ or FTW agree that 4.2 is competition ready, FS could reach GameServer Hosters and push 4.2 into full deployment.

(I think)

Steam!
When we get it truly stable, we should advertise it in Steam!

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored link
https://www.frozensand.com/

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942