• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Difference in powersliding .009 Rate Topic: -----

#12 User is offline   Primeee Icon

• Account: primeee

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:57 AM

Bladekiller, I can assure you if you run the tests yourself you will see what we are on about, regardless of the key combinations ect, the issue is still there. before you could slide down stairs, off low / high platforms ect, now its made it almost impossible to perform simple rushes and tactics that were avaliable in 4.1.1

#13 User is offline   n1n Icon

•   verified user   
  • Account: n1n

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:39 PM

yep BladeKiller, it was only my guess ;)
okay then, must be something else.

about that moving/strafejumping/bunnyhopping or [power]sliding- everyone has their own technique i guess, but if you don't hold any forward/direction key while sliding you loose the ability to steer and to keep the speed for a longer distance.
i do think it was kind of a glitch if you could fall from a low obstacle and slide with that ease at 4.1. it's just harder at 4.2, you have to make a pre-jump for sliding, as for me i'd say this would be more challenging than before, more effort means you'd need more skills, more predicting, at a price of dynamics.

but of course i don't think anyone from the devs would like to loose that dynamics, it also feels "goofy", shiftless, like playing a new FPP after years of urt only, you'd miss something, feel uncomfortable maybe :)
so i hope for you guys it'll get tweaked to work just as it was.
<sXe>

#14 User is offline   beautifulNihilist Icon

•   verified user   

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:03 PM

I just tested every spot in this video and others that I used to use the same way and what rYuuJiN and Prime are saying is absolutely the case for me as well.

I'm a gunner much more than a jumper and I notice my jump-and-glide skills vary greatly depending on my mood.
I do not have a knack and feel for the physics so much, and when I'm not moving as smoothly as other times I assume I'm just not taking deep enough breaths.
To me everything felt like there was more friction than in 4.1 and I wasn't sure that was a bad thing, but when you point this out I notice there is a great deal of mobility lost and in a specific way.

#15 User is offline   BludShoT Icon

• Account: bludshot
  • Main tag: [T]

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:45 PM

4.1 felt really perfect, and it was that perfect feel that kept people playing it over other games so I think it would be an awesome idea to try to make 4.2 movement be exactly like 4.1 even if we're down to talking about tiny tiny differences. I am no amazing jumper but even I would use the "slide down stairs" tactic fairly regularly, so I think people will notice.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#17 User is offline   n1n Icon

•   verified user   
  • Account: n1n

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:00 AM

View PostbeautifulNihilist, on 03 January 2013 - 09:03 PM, said:

[...]To me everything felt like there was more friction than in 4.1 and I wasn't sure that was a bad thing, but when you point this out I notice there is a great deal of mobility lost and in a specific way.
exactly the case, more friction, felt the same

View PostBladeKiller, on 03 January 2013 - 11:12 PM, said:

n1n I can steer with my mouse while sliding and I don't lose any speed over the 3 fingers pressing movement keys method because I am still sprinting so I get full speed. But this is beside the point. If it feels wrong it is wrong. It is intended to be the same as it is in 4.1 so the more you can show the differences the better like Bludshot said. It is important to get the small details right.

no, you'd have to press only "forward" and steer with the mouse, if you only press crouch it's impossible to steer the model while sliding as it is just stuck on the vector you have "shot" yourself into ;) and yes, i am also using a sprint script so i'm always sprinting (+button8). sounds confusing, maybe we'd have to test it somewhere, i guess not the right place here to argue :D

and i also agree with BludShot, rYuuJiN and beautifulNihilist that it's wrong and needs a fix, it was just my own "what if"s running through my fingers. as usual.

This post has been edited by n1n: 04 January 2013 - 12:01 AM

<sXe>

#18 User is offline   Primeee Icon

• Account: primeee

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:05 AM

There isn't really any more evidence of the issue needed, the video shows the difference and issue that is currently at large, its making the switchover from 4.1.1 to 4.2 slightly difficult :P

#19 User is offline   Driller Icon

•   community admin   
  • Account: driller
  • Main tag: uJ|

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:46 PM

Should be on the to_do_list with high priority, good video rYuuJiN.

#20 User is offline   rYuuJiN Icon

•   clan leader   
  • Account: ryuujin

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:45 AM

View Postn1n, on 03 January 2013 - 07:39 PM, said:

i do think it was kind of a glitch if you could fall from a low obstacle and slide with that ease at 4.1. it's just harder at 4.2, you have to make a pre-jump for sliding, as for me i'd say this would be more challenging than before, more effort means you'd need more skills, more predicting, at a price of dynamics.

Ye, making the game more challenging is definitely worth it. So here is a small suggestion by me. Reducing the distance of the current powerslide, it will make the decision of when and where to strafejump more important so that you can't simply extend your miscalculated steps by a long and easy powerslide.

Not a real fan of comparing with other games, but since It's quake4, it fits the genre. In quake4 the powerslide is shorter which gives it more a role to just make smart slides to go faster around corners or get the right timing for a strafejump. In UrT powerslide is currently being used as a massive extension after a strafejump.

Since the introduction of the long powersliding, the strength and matter of a good master of the strafejump has been faded. That's why I think by making the powerslide distance shorter, the strafejump might actually be more important again and the game will be more challanging.
a thing of beauty is a joy

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942