• You cannot reply to this topic

FPS and the number of players Rate Topic: -----

Why the hit?

#31 User is offline   p5yc0runn3r Icon

•   former FS member   
    Engine Developer
  • Account: p5yc0runn3r

Posted 25 May 2013 - 08:50 AM

If the problem is with the player models, check your r_lodbias and r_subdivisions CVARS. These two effect geometry in players and in map respectively.
Mine are set to 2 and 90 respectively and do not have problems with FPS.
dmaHD developer | engine developer | crazy person

#32 User is offline   l3mming Icon

• Account: l3mming

Posted 25 May 2013 - 10:45 AM

View Postp5yc0runn3r, on 25 May 2013 - 08:50 AM, said:

If the problem is with the player models, check your r_lodbias and r_subdivisions CVARS. These two effect geometry in players and in map respectively.
Mine are set to 2 and 90 respectively and do not have problems with FPS.

Doesn't affect things in any way :(

Even running at 640x480 doesn't increase the FPS. In fact, my abbey demo drops down to 56 in exactly the same places as when resolution is at 1280x960 or something. Also, my MBP has the 9400M or the 9600GT card in it. Now in some situations there is a slight improvement with the 9600GT, but it's not as much better as the osx vs windows comparison in any way.

Shaders afaik tend to have an easier time when the resolution is down as well as copying the frame in memory in case quartz is messing things up, but it appears this has nothing to do with it. The spot in abbey where the fps drops reveals that nearly the entire level is drawn (r_showtris 1), but without any other players, I can even float up as spec to see the whole map and fps is still at a solid com_maxfps.

This post has been edited by l3mming: 25 May 2013 - 10:47 AM

#33 User is offline   l3mming Icon

• Account: l3mming

Posted 25 May 2013 - 10:53 AM

It's definetly player models, I started abbey again, added as much bots as possible. The fps dropped rather drastically, but the cpu also has to work the bots now, but the thing that really struck me is when I was watching the fountain (littered with corpses by now), I did a kick all. Now fps was slightly up again, but with each disappearing corpse from my view, the fps shot up a bunch until all corpses were gone and fps was back at solid 125.

Now somebody with knowledge of the inner workings of urt/q3 could maybe start looking what the problem there is (or could be in regard to osx).

I tried to disable bleeding, funstuff, visible items but these really don't change a thing.

Edit: just copied the whole thing over to linux and enjoyed 125 fps constant using the exact same config but upped the res to 1920x1080. I noticed the lastvalidrenderer stated SSE2 somewhere, maybe osx doesn't use that for openGL (although sse2 is a cpu thing).

This post has been edited by l3mming: 25 May 2013 - 01:29 PM

#34 User is offline   KarlMariaSeeberg Icon

Posted 25 May 2013 - 03:10 PM

maybe fs can convince ttimo to read this and respond .. his last post is from ocotober 2012 ..
if you don't like uptown, you are basically hating urban terror.

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942