Advertisement
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Loading order of pk3 archives Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   ArgusMagnus Icon

• Account: argusmagnus

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:25 AM

The engine does load the pk3 files in anti alphabetical order (z->a), right?
Is there a way to tell the engine to load a specific package first?

The reason for me asking this is because I want my app to support generating arenascripts (http://www.urbanterr...63-arena-files/) for any map. This works fine, but I cannot save the files to the original pk3 files because most servers check for modified pk3 archive (sv_pure = 1). So instead the arena files are saved to a seperate pk3. But it seems, that the arena files must be loaded before the corresponding map file (.bsp), otherwhise the maps do not show up in "Start Server", etc.
Of course, i could just save the file as zzzArena.pk3, but I would really like that choice to be the user's..

edit:
I got a second engine related question: If there are multiple "items" of the same type and the same name, for instance two shaders with the exact same name but in different files/packages and with different content, how does the engine decide which one to use? Does it just use the one that was loaded first or does it prefer ones that are in the same package as the map-file requesting the "item" or does it handle such situations completly different?

Just to clarify, imagine a filestructure like this:

SomePackage.pk3
{
    scripts/
    {
        someshaders.shader
        {
            textures/common/hallo {"ContentA"}
        }
    }
}

ut4_mymap.pk3
{
    scripts/
    {
        ut4_mymap.shader
        {
            textures/common/hallo {"ContentB"}
        }
    }
    maps/
    {
        ut4_mymap.bsp
    }
}

if ut4_mymap is loaded, which shader will be used, the one with ContentA or the one with ContentB?

This post has been edited by argusmagnus: 27 February 2013 - 10:31 AM

Experimental Map Manager for Urban Terror and other Quake 3 based games: ArgUrTMapManager
Fractal Image Calculator: Fraktalysator

#2 User is offline   ArgusMagnus Icon

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:40 AM

anyone? Have I posted this on the wrong forum?
Experimental Map Manager for Urban Terror and other Quake 3 based games: ArgUrTMapManager

#4 User is offline   ArgusMagnus Icon

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:36 PM

thank you :)
so I guess there is no way (which does not contain modifying the source code) to tell the engine to load a specific file first, except to give it a name starting with z's....

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored link
https://www.frozensand.com/

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942