• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Why are people not switching to 4.2? Rate Topic: ***** 1 Votes

4.2 pub servers are almost empty despite the 4.2 beta being default dl

#1 User is offline   limatss Icon

• Account: limatss

Posted 17 March 2013 - 03:55 AM

Newer is better, right? 4.2 fixes a lot of stuff, got new weapons and generally looks nicer. Why are so few playing it? I've been on 4.2 the last several months. There's basically one to three servers that have enough (human) players on at any time. Not much variety in terms of maps, game modes and opponents. I'm thinking about going back to 4.1 but I got used to the new and I think much improved hit detection.

Switching back would mean I'd get worse at playing both versions for some adjustment period. That does apply to all you slackers on 4.1 the other way around as well. The difference is, it's a change for the better, whereas for me it is, or at least feels like, a regression. That's how I see it anyway.

#2 User is offline   YAY5637 Icon

• Account: yay5637
  • Main tag: <PWC>

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:38 AM

I think its mainly because of the leagues, wich are still played in version 4.11, so people wont play 4.2 as much to not screw up their aiming in competition.

#3 User is offline   cyrus Icon

• Account: cyrus
  • Main tag: [PCC]

Posted 17 March 2013 - 02:42 PM

For what it is worth, I believe that I am noticing an increase in players over the last few months, at least on our server. I doubt that leagues have much to do with population on public servers.
I don't play competitively, but I find that there is almost no difference in the control (well, maybe a little bit of mouse sensitivity changes) between 4.1 and 4.2. I just copied my 4.1 config to the 4.2 install, adjusted mouse sensitivity until it felt the same as in 4.1 and started playing. Almost everything is the same control-wise.
I set 4.1 to use a different fs_homepath directory so that I could run both without any file or configuration conflicts.
I play a lot of both versions and I have yet to have WTF moment where something that has become habitual in 4.2 has screwed up my ability to play 4.1 effectively.
Here is the line in my start script that launches UrT 4.1 (linux). The important part for telling 4.1 to use a different configuration directory is the +set fs_homepath cvar.

schedtool -a 0 -e /home/<user>/UrbanTerror-41/ioUrbanTerror.x86_64 +set fs_homepath ~/.urt $*

Disorder... Chaos... Anarchy... Now THAT's fun!

#5 User is offline   kingbeowulf Icon

• Account: kingbeowulf

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:59 PM

From what I gather, and my own experience, is an unwillingness by many to use any software with and auto-download/update feature. That, in addition to the way Frozen Sand is (mis)managing the game's development.

The former may change - given Steam now being crossplatform - but the latter may be a hurdle not easily overcome.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   Randomness Icon

• Account: randomness

Posted 18 March 2013 - 12:55 AM

Well the lowest ping I get to any 4.2 server is 250, and most of them have ping limits on them so I can't connect anyway.

And I refuse to play with a ping much higher than that.
Randomness is everywhere...

#7 User is offline   beautifulNihilist Icon

•   verified user   

Posted 18 March 2013 - 04:53 AM

This was written when 4.2 was crash-happy, but most of this is still true for leagues:
http://www.urbanterr...2/1#entry336548

I play leagues a bit and the main concern between playing both 4.1 and 4.2 for many is AIM adjustment, not physics and feel.
Simply by having a slightly different shaped target that also moves quite differently makes instinctive aim difficult to adjust to. While this would be fine, we'd all just get used to it; this difference is also different between 4.2.xxx versions and has to be relearned all over again.
THAT is the major playing-difference.

There's still updates to the game that keep changing the way many things operate between versions making setting up a competition rather difficult when the very game we are competing in changes between games. 4.1 is still here, and it works.

I'd play a whole lot more 4.2 if there were more people playing. But right now I'd rather play 4.1 in many servers under 100 ping, than 4.2 in a few servers in >200 ping run in different languages.
I can't imagine the headache for some servers renters when they have to get their providers to update, and PROPERLY.
There are many people waiting for something they consider more stable.

Just start calling 4.1 "gay" until it catches on and people move to 4.2. It's pretty generally a bandwagon thing.
Don't forget the old sourpusses that want their old UrT 2.3 back and cling to 4.1 'cause it's the oldest UrT they can have. There are a great deal of them left, but they'll be out of college soon.

#8 User is offline   Muffie Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: muffie

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:44 PM

I'm still swaggin out in 4.1.1 because 4.2 doesn't feel anywhere near as smooth imo.
I tryout every new update for 4.2 and I'm waiting for a good update.
I love that they added the glock!
.:| Win10 x64 | AMD R5 2600 | 16Gb G.Skill cL16@3ghz | ASUS STRIX Vega 64 |:.

#9 User is offline   PureFilth Icon

• Account: purefilth
  • Main tag: [#!]

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:22 PM

Because I only got the files for 4.1.1 and 4.2.007 again about 4 days ago, and when I went to update 4.2.X it deleted the .pk3's and started downloading it all at like 30kb/s so I said to myself after half an hour "Yeah, *@!# this. I'll wait till the next release and download the whole thing from the site instead.".

I would have sat it out but after looking at the server list and seeing that 4.2 servers were still in such a sad state of affairs as last time I tried it I didn't bother, hoping on the next 4.2 release things will liven up at least for a week or so :)

#10 User is offline   Knightork Icon

• Account: knightork
  • Main tag: UTP|

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:43 AM

I guess there are only a few 4.2.009 players, cause most Servers still have 4.1...

I just filtered Serverlist and there are 77 Server with 4.2.009 and 311 Server on 4.1. This seems that Players will stay to 4.1 still u have more choice there to find a server that is good for you.

So the Question has to be: Why do not all ServerAdmins Update to 4.2.009 and that's an other question. I think there are many Mods / Plugins for 4.1 for example most old b3 Plugins. Most Serveradmin don't want to update their plugins for just an other beta, cause noone know if these plugins / mods will run with the next Urt Update not to talk about the final version in 2017 (just my opinion).

There are not so many "new" Features that Players and Serveradmins are interested in the 4.2.009 at the Moment, the only good point on 4.2 was the auth system for me. So i updated our servers to 4.2 and finally 4.2.009 since this day server is most time empty, cause the Bot Plugin of old 4.1 isn't working for the moment and all other b3 plugins i wrote for our servers also. I really think of downgrade ours servers again to 4.1 and wait for the final 4.2 but that would mean again 1 Server less on 4.2 Serverlist and 1 More on 4.1. That's the sad fact.

• (9 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942