• +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[SOLVED] TS spawn problem Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Nstar Icon

• Account: nstar
  • Main tag: [COD]

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:18 AM

Hi guys, nub mapper here, and I am completely flummoxed over TS spawns...
Posted Image
What is up with that. I've done everything correctly, based on this and advice from #radiant (quakenet). If it truly choses the spawn based on the greatest distance from the first randomly chosen spawn, then why would teams spawn right next to each other like that, when there is a better spawn point farther away?

This post has been edited by xoai: 24 September 2013 - 07:32 AM

#2 User is offline   J.English Icon

• Account: jenglish
  • Main tag: [SnP]

Posted 21 September 2013 - 09:25 AM

As far as I'm aware distance doesn't matter. It just randomly chooses a spawn point for that gamemode.

This is from the info in Radiant. You'd be particularly interested in the last two sentences:

You'd use the groups key in maps if you wanted to make sure a team will spawn together in a certain location,
so you might take 8 spawn points, give them all gametypes of "3,4,5,6,7" (all teamplays) and then assign all
the eight a group id of "1" then you might do another eight and make their group id all "2". UT will choose a
"group" at the begining of a round and spawn all members of "team" there. Normally you'd have at few groups
of spawns so you could have lots of potential team starting positions.

This post has been edited by J.English: 21 September 2013 - 09:26 AM

#3 User is offline   J.English Icon

Posted 21 September 2013 - 09:33 AM

This post has been edited by J.English: 22 September 2013 - 10:44 PM

#5 User is offline   Fleuv Icon

• Account: fleuv
  • Main tag: f8`

Posted 22 September 2013 - 10:47 AM

Intresting issue, I wonder why we don't documentate all kinds of issues like these.

Maybe a little off topic question but either I did like to know why red and blue spawns are randomly used by both teams. For example, when creating a TS spawn entity what use to be a spawn for the red team only. Than the blue team will also spawn on this entity but of course not both mixed together with the red team.

I discovered this issue a while ago but I never got on to it. I was experienceing this issue first at my map ut4_flymap where I had made spawn rooms with sentry guns also for TS. This didn't work that great for 50% of the rounds :)
~ Cheers

xF.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#7 User is offline   Nstar Icon

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:30 AM

sorry guys, never got any notifications, so i thought nobody replied D:

so, i ended up fixing my problem, so no worries... but, after testing, it seems one could make all spawns team:blue and have a perfectly running TS map without any red spawns... is that true?

also, the pic in OP is exactly how i set it up... according to the link... what i did was delete the red/S2 spawn and now everything just works... all 3 spawn points get used relatively equally.

i'll mark thread [SOLVED].... do we do that here?? lol

anyway, have another question, not sure if i should make a new thread, but here goes...

How the bejeesus do target_location's work... is los based on vis? if i get around to hint brushing will all my location problems go away?
and, is there a REALLY good tut somewhere out there on vis/hinting... all i've seen seems confusing at best.

thanks everyone for the help btw!!

#9 User is offline   Nstar Icon

Posted 24 September 2013 - 11:17 AM

View PostMarkinho, on 24 September 2013 - 10:38 AM, said:

Uhm, check this out for hinting, if you haven't already: http://www.custommap...ing_NuIL_method

AWESOME, thanks for that... so much easier to understand when i'm looking at examples in TP... i happen to know a bit about that map's layout :P

#10 User is offline   J.English Icon

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:35 PM

The target_locations just work as whichever you are closest to in-game.
You can avoid it by using trigger_locations which you use the trigger brush and designate the areas but of course is more time consuming but is more exact.
You can however, put in more target_locations in the corners of the areas you want it to be in meaning you need more but you can just copy/paste them.
I have a video here that shows just about all the common shaders and entities including things like how to make triggerable trigger_hurt if you so desire. If you watch excuse the terrible speaking -.-

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942