Advertisement
  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

ut_mastermind -- Coming Soon (again) Rate Topic: -----

#1 Guest_=BAND=Squad Leader

Posted 14 February 2005 - 10:03 PM

I doubt many people remember the spectacular announcement of my soon to be released map in December, and that's a good thing. I was close to releasing it when I stepped back, looked at it, and puked. The layout was solid, but the texturing was pathetic. I'm not very good with textures, but I knew that I could do better than that.

So now it's back, ut_mastermind, a space station being used by a mastermind(woah) to capture or destroy all urban terror maps. I found it sort of funny yesterday when I was looking at the map, because it is in many ways a commentary on other maps. Funny that I conclude it then, right in the midst of controversy(ok, that was too strong a word) over what maps should be in ETUT.

The layout is fairly small but is detailed enough to provide a strategic game. I tweaked it a bit from where it was in December, but it, along with the framerate is what I've always been happy about with the map.

I was talking to Shminky this morning and he told me that it looked like a good Quake 3 map, but not an Urban Terror map. I've been thinking that myself while building it, but I guess that's what you should expect when building a space station for this game. In my previous texturing attempt, I tried to walk the line between an earthly environment and a space station and failed miserably. The second time around, I just thought, if I'm gonna build a space station, I'm gonna build a space station, not an office building in space, and if it looks like it should be in Quake 3, I'll live.

Huge thanks to MCinBigD, who gave me the kick in the pants I needed to get on with this.

Right now I'm polishing it up nice and shiny, so you should expect to see it ... when it's done.

Here are a couple screens, I'll give you the links because they're pretty large:

These screens are no longer relevant: check out the layout one and the two at the bottom.

#2 User is offline   illogical Icon

•   verified user   
    Retired Master Server Administrator
  • Account: illogical
  • Main tag: 6th|

Posted 14 February 2005 - 11:31 PM

My only criticism is that the wall, floor, and ceiling textures seem to tile a bit much. If that was what you wanted, then I'll just be quiet :-) Any chance we could get an overhead view of the layout?

#3 Guest_=BAND=Squad Leader

Posted 14 February 2005 - 11:42 PM

I don't see why not.

Here's the layout from far above, complete with flag and spawn locations. There is one route that you can't see because it's below another one.

http://home.comcast....93/mmlayout.JPG

As for the tiling, yes, it's intentional.

#4 User is offline   Hybridesque (old) Icon

• LocationBradford, UK

Posted 15 February 2005 - 08:36 AM

Why did you intend for the tiling to be so evident?

#5 Guest_=BAND=Squad Leader

Posted 15 February 2005 - 04:50 PM

I'm a huge fan of the Jedi Knight series; in fact, Dark Forces was the first FPS I ever played. When picturing what I wanted the level to look like in my mind, some of Jedi Outcast's levels came to the forefront. So I guess the answer to your question is that this is the realization of what I visualized.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 Guest_=BAND=Squad Leader

Posted 19 February 2005 - 05:34 AM

I'm to the point where I'm happy with the map. There's a good chance that it'll be released tomorrow -- stay tuned!

Posted Image

Posted Image

#7 User is offline   Hybridesque (old) Icon

• LocationBradford, UK

Posted 19 February 2005 - 07:31 AM

I'm not sure about the texturing still, doesn't feel cohesive as a map.

#8 User is offline   blackrayne (old) Icon

Posted 19 February 2005 - 03:34 PM

hey squad i love thelook man it reminds me of 50's 60' old movie space station:)

#9 Guest_=BAND=Squad Leader

Posted 20 February 2005 - 05:41 AM

The map is complete! I don't have any mirrors atm, so I'm hosting it on my ftp for the time being. I hope you enjoy it!

http://home.comcast...._mastermind.pk3

#10 User is offline   HELSEN (old) Icon

• LocationGermany

Posted 20 February 2005 - 03:28 PM

Hmm. Looks a little like a pushed up version from PADSpace to me :wink: .

But I will give it a try and insert it to our actual mapcycle (76th).
You can look ->here<- if its playing now.

Give you also an mirror. You can download it from the page of our actual mapcycle

->HERE<-

Greetings Avatar

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942