• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Custom model shader missing Rate Topic: -----

How to create a custom shader for a external model

#1 User is offline   brunoric3d Icon

• Account: brunoric3d

Posted 01 July 2013 - 03:28 PM

Hi!

I've a misc_model of almost my entire map coming from 3dsmax, my idea is to create the materials/textures in 3dsmax (separating objects into different misc_model that needs some different kind of shader, the problem is that when I include my model in Radiant, not even the texture that I used inside 3dsmax is loaded. Some time ago I saw a post explaining some good practices on how to name the materials in 3dsmax so Radiant recognizes the shader, textures, etc, but I couldn't find it anymore... So my question is, how can I create a shader specifying the only texture needed for a entire model? Do I need to use "_remap"?

I've seen many tutorials about shaders and some examples, but most of them don't include models, just brushes.

Thx!

UPDATE

The material name in 3dsmax was poiting to the wrong file, now its showing in the editor, but when I try to compile, its not creating the PRT file, from the console:

--- AddTriangleModels ---
Loading Model:models/urbantec/urbantec06.3ds
WARNING: Model models/urbantec/urbantec06.3ds unable to generate brush - Case 2. urbantec/parede
WARNING: Null or empty shader name
WARNING: Couldn't find image for shader missing

This post has been edited by brunoric3d: 01 July 2013 - 06:30 PM

#2 User is offline   NulL Icon

•   former FS member   
    Level Designer
  • Account: null

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:26 PM

You need to name your materials in max with q3 conforming texture/shader names. eg textures/ut_turnpike/01_graywood

Posted Image

#3 User is offline   brunoric3d Icon

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:01 PM

Humm, right. I got it to show inside Radiant, but when I compile it, the console says:

The shader must reflect the material name? And about the folder hierarchy, my model is inside ...\models\urbantec\urbantec.3ds, the textures must be inside this folder or they can be outside? Like ...\textures\urbantec\parede.jpg

Thx!

#4 User is offline   brunoric3d Icon

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:03 PM

I wish I could have some map with custom models to get the idea, cause all the examples that I have are made only with brushes... Do you know where I can get?

#5 User is offline   NulL Icon

•   former FS member   
    Level Designer
  • Account: null

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:04 PM

The textures can be anywhere that the engine can see them, ie anywhere under q3ut4.

Also export to ase not 3ds.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   stratege2 Icon

• Account: stratege2

Posted 12 July 2013 - 05:40 PM

The material name in 3dsmax was poiting to the wrong file, now its showing in the editor, but when I try to compile, its not creating the PRT file, from the console:

--- AddTriangleModels ---
Loading Model:models/urbantec/urbantec06.3ds
WARNING: Model models/urbantec/urbantec06.3ds unable to generate brush - Case 2. urbantec/parede

So my question is, how can I create a shader specifying the only texture needed for a entire model? Do I need to use "_remap"?

Hi !

I don't use 3DSmax but blender so i cant help you about export or stuff in exportation.

But when you export your .ase or .md3 you need write the path like "models/mapobjects/mymodel/mymodel.jpg" (like NulL).
Export model in a folder with this path "q3ut4/models/mapobject/mymodel" check if you can see your model with texture on gtk.

the textures must be inside this folder or they can be outside?

As you want, just change the path in 3Dmax.
But its easier if you put all textures and models in the same folder : if you want make a package model.

After you can make a shader with your texture for exemple :

models/mapobjects/str_models/str_models
{
qer_editorimage models/mapobjects/str_models/str_models.tga
//qer_trans 0.90
surfaceparm nolightmap
q3map_clipmodel
{
map models/mapobjects/str_models/str_models.tga
}

}

And dont forgive the shaderlist.txt :tongue: .

- _remap isn't cool, i prefer make a models clean and not always fix the texture.
- And why use .3ds format in gtk radiant :blink:.

And btw i re-make a map and i used a nice shader models : http://urtrepo.fr/dl..._savare_urt.pk3
Look the model in "vogt/evil_egg", i think its a great exemple.

PS : Sry I m NOT a pro in English.

This post has been edited by stratege2: 12 July 2013 - 05:58 PM

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942