• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Complete Dynamic IP problem Rate Topic: -----

This guy is a complete jerk.

#1 User is offline   J.English Icon

• Account: jenglish
  • Main tag: [SnP]

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:12 PM

I present the usual problem of the dynamic IP and how it can be banned.
An FYI that this is on my Deathrun server operating on 4.1 (unsure if it works yet on 4.2. had issue on ammo collection)
This guy (Usually known as Canarillo_Brillo) pestered snp servers well over a year ago. In recent months he must have acquired an application that can change your ip completely.
This means every connection he makes has a completely different ip (ALL 4 parts) and showing hes all round the world. I do know for a fact he actually is somewhere southern Italy possibly Sicily. However, with his ever-changing IP address there is little we can do to prevent him. All we can do at the moment is annoy the hell out of him until he leaves or simply ignore(which he makes hard to do cause he starts causing trouble with other players).
Is there absolutely nothing that can be done in 4.1 that can stop this pest. I would understand banning is easier in 4.2 with the auth system enabled but for the time being honestly we can't take much more. He is the worst person I have ever come across in URT.

#2 User is offline   Noxtty8 Icon

• Account: noxtty8

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:25 PM

View PostJ.English, on 27 June 2013 - 01:12 PM, said:

I present the usual problem of the dynamic IP and how it can be banned.
An FYI that this is on my Deathrun server operating on 4.1 (unsure if it works yet on 4.2. had issue on ammo collection)
This guy (Usually known as Canarillo_Brillo) pestered snp servers well over a year ago. In recent months he must have acquired an application that can change your ip completely.
This means every connection he makes has a completely different ip (ALL 4 parts) and showing hes all round the world. I do know for a fact he actually is somewhere southern Italy possibly Sicily. However, with his ever-changing IP address there is little we can do to prevent him. All we can do at the moment is annoy the hell out of him until he leaves or simply ignore(which he makes hard to do cause he starts causing trouble with other players).
Is there absolutely nothing that can be done in 4.1 that can stop this pest. I would understand banning is easier in 4.2 with the auth system enabled but for the time being honestly we can't take much more. He is the worst person I have ever come across in URT.

mute by IP?, nothing's worse for people like him to be ignored and being unable to say a word. Disconnecting by himself would discourage him to comeback.

#3 User is offline   thelionroars Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: thelionroars

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:17 PM

Actually you can get a variant at the first octet within quite a few ISPs these days, because IPv4 addressing is so scarce. But it seems you're doing GeoIP lookups so they must be using proxies. There is nothing you can really do about it. If you do a RIR (APNIC in your case) lookup you can find the ISPs who own these addresses and inform them that their customers are probably compromised (assuming they are not public proxies).

#4 User is offline   Noxtty8 Icon

• Account: noxtty8

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:25 PM

View Postthelionroars, on 27 June 2013 - 04:17 PM, said:

lookup you can find the ISPs who own these addresses and inform them that their customers are probably compromised (assuming they are not public proxies).

What's the best they can do? If they ever do something

#5 User is offline   thelionroars Icon

•   QA member   

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:32 PM

View Postnoxtty8, on 27 June 2013 - 04:25 PM, said:

What's the best they can do? If they ever do something

They can inform their customers, and thus help reduce the amount of botnets which means less work for them longterm. I'm not sure how the reporting will be received, I only heard about one player using proxies like this while I was doing admin and it wasn't up to me to deal with it.

This post has been edited by thelionroars: 27 June 2013 - 04:32 PM

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   J.English Icon

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:53 PM

Well a lot of the time we can't ignore him because he disrupts the entire gameplay and then people just leave meaning the server gets dead. Within deathrun he will just block people regardless stopping them from getting past.
Is there any sort of computer Identification that Urt could get hold of that can be used against a person by coding it into the open source part of urt (into the binary)?
So instead of adding an ip I could also add some identification key that that links the person to the specific computer that cant be changed.
Thanks

#7 User is offline   thelionroars Icon

•   QA member   

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:57 PM

View PostJ.English, on 27 June 2013 - 10:53 PM, said:

Is there any sort of computer Identification that Urt could get hold of that can be used against a person by coding it into the open source part of urt (into the binary)?
So instead of adding an ip I could also add some identification key that that links the person to the specific computer that cant be changed.
Thanks

Yes - auth, which will link the player to their forum account. If enabled and used with a minimum notoriety level on the server, you will be able to keep it playable. You won't get rid of them permanently but it will make reconnecting much more difficult - they will need to have a new account registered with a unique email each time they get a new auth, and will need to have sufficient notoriety to be able to connect.

#8 User is offline   J.English Icon

Posted 28 June 2013 - 12:06 AM

yes but at this time its on 4.1.
Problem being is I run my deathrun server with a mod and lots of binary modifications as well so if I move to 4.2 I lose everything I've made.

#9 User is offline   thelionroars Icon

•   QA member   

Posted 28 June 2013 - 12:11 AM

View PostJ.English, on 28 June 2013 - 12:06 AM, said:

yes but at this time its on 4.1.
Problem being is I run my deathrun server with a mod and lots of binary modifications as well so if I move to 4.2 I lose everything I've made.

Sadly there is just nothing you can do then. IP and GUID is pretty much all you can ban on, and both are changeable in under a minute.

#10 User is offline   J.English Icon

Posted 28 June 2013 - 12:21 AM

is it possible to know the age of a qkey file? (of course modification necessary)
As in can I prevent a qkey that has been made like within an hour or day from entering?
Otherwise I'm going to add a crash command to crash his urt game everytime we see him join :D

This post has been edited by J.English: 28 June 2013 - 12:26 AM

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored link
https://www.urbanterror.info/members/donate/

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942