Urban Terror Forums: Could it be possible to see the auths on a server's page? - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Could it be possible to see the auths on a server's page? Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   SilverFoxZ Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: silverfoxz

Posted 18 July 2013 - 12:57 PM

View PostNikki, on 17 July 2013 - 06:11 AM, said:

Because it's none of your business who is playing on a public server. Unless you administrate the server in question, there is NO NEED for you or anyone else to know. If you're that nosy, maybe you should apply for NSA down here, I heard they like stalking people too.

If FS added a mute function you could just mute those people, wich i personaly never experienced and just learn to not give a damn about what people think about your alias in a videogame.
I raise komodo dragons in my spare time

#12 User is offline   thelionroars Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: thelionroars

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:28 PM

View PostSilverFoxZ, on 18 July 2013 - 12:57 PM, said:

If FS added a mute function you could just mute those people, wich i personaly never experienced and just learn to not give a damn about what people think about your alias in a videogame.

/playerlist

to get the right number

/ignore <player no>

to mute them client side. Already implemented.

#13 User is offline   Nikki Icon

• Account: nikki
  • Main tag: diRf!

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:04 PM

View PostSilverFoxZ, on 18 July 2013 - 12:57 PM, said:

I think this argument would be better suited for:

View PostBrainie, on 18 July 2013 - 06:04 AM, said:

It lets you know who you could be playing with, who would you like to play with, and so on. I hate when I come on a server and there's already an asshole on it. It's also a good way to judge the level of people on the server. If you feel there's too much good or bad people on it, you might want to select on that fits with your experience.

----------------------------

It's just a question of good sense lol. If you do something, do it at all or don't do it. In this case they stared to show us the nicknames used on the server so I don't see why they shouldn't show everything at all (including the auths). They shouldn't show the nicknames if we follow your argument.

This is when I start to question if you think before you speak. A nickname is just that - a nickname. It's either widely known or not known at all. Now if we want to go with your argument and list everybody's auths, why not just throw a huge banner up that says "ADMIN PLAYING HERE, NEED TO HIDE YOUR CHEATS BETTER".

We're passed the 4.1 stage you know (and for god sake). It's time to have a nickname (auth), to assume it and to play with it. Hiding yourself means you're a complete paranoiac or you have an oversized ego or you want to be a pain in the ass (annoying people behind a kido-nickname). We're on a game, just a simple game.

And since we want to revisit people being nosy vs people with legitimate concerns, let me just go ahead and requote some old threads here:

View PostbeautifulNihilist, on 23 April 2013 - 09:15 PM, said:

I have no idea how anyone plans to catch hackers with their auth names showing.

View PostYAY5637, on 24 April 2013 - 12:51 PM, said:

The problem is, how are you going to spec the cheater, he can always see your real name and get suspicious if you join spec (Only "advanced cheaters") and disable his hack/disconnect

View Postn1n, on 24 April 2013 - 06:25 PM, said:

well guess what, i am this QA rebel that agrees that auth names on the scoreboard should be optional, because it does not encourage people to use auth at all. if you can't be incognito if you wish so, and have to log out and still being able to join almost every server, then why bother using auth at all. there are absolutely no benefits.

what is the point of looking for cheaters on jump servers? can anyone see the point?
on public servers? for admins there is absolutely no difference if they get a cheater report with the player name of auth name, you'd have only alias a little bit deeper in the logs.

as an admin- i do respect players privacy and their right to anonymity. with all the risks involved, i just don't like the idea of making my server a police state.

PS. imagine a cheater using auth and get caught. that would be just hilarious.

So now that we've had to revisit the concerned administrators (and this was only SOME of the responses), why don't you tell me how your paranoia of needing to know who you're playing with in case they're asshats (GASP!) overrides concerns of administrators. Speaking of being concerned over having asshats on servers, I recall one of the more recent times I actually had to ban someone for doing so and it was you on a pugbot server. Tell me what some no-name on some random pub is going to do to the point of needing someone else's auth name? Come whine on urt.info where they don't care about what people do on pubs? No. It will still follow the same hierarchy as before and any server admin that has more than 2 brain cells will know how to get the information in seconds, with or without the auth name. Telling people to logout will only work for so long until they enable notoriety, then people essentially wont be able to logout if there's certain servers that will actually use it (to be honest, I don't think many will be using it anyway)

There is no other way to spin this. Unless you're an admin on the server, you're just being too god damn nosy.

**For the record, your sense of entitlement in thinking you need to know everyone's whereabouts at all times seems a bit more egotistical than admins wanting to stay hidden or even players that just want to alias and be left the hell alone.

This post has been edited by Nikki: 18 July 2013 - 05:16 PM

#14 User is offline   Brainie Icon

• Account: brainie
  • Main tag: psyp.

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:00 AM

Anyway this was a suggestion addressed to the website developers and not to you especially.
Psychologic People - Team Canada - Psychology in Urban Terror
ClanBase Writer and Referee - Ask me if issues

#15 User is offline   don Icon

• Account: don
  • Main tag: GlaD-

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:05 AM

indefensible position? better deflect

lmao
GlaD-don
Past teams:
Partners in Terror | The Dark | Team Terror | Noobs Gone Wild | Xor | Blight Gaming | Area 51 Gaming | Team Lzuruha | Besserman6 | Console | No Care Bears | Zing | Pro5 | American Idols | Team Canada | No Defiance | Unlimited Gaming
<3 to the people who built and sustained the North American competitive community over the years. xil, r, vex, icu, bos, .e, '`|v|~, iF, -x-, ill, un, xor, glad & all the rest. thanks for the games

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#16 User is offline   Nikki Icon

• Account: nikki
  • Main tag: diRf!

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:50 AM

View PostBrainie, on 22 July 2013 - 01:00 AM, said:

Anyway this was a suggestion addressed to the website developers and not to you especially.

View Postdon, on 22 July 2013 - 01:05 AM, said:

indefensible position? better deflect

lmao

^lold

Mine is a suggestion as well - I suggest to either make it less invasive or at least leave it alone.

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942