• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Mouse Deceleration Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Nstar Icon

• Account: nstar
  • Main tag: [COD]

Posted 16 December 2013 - 07:25 PM

Hello all,

I recently was forced to make the switch from linux to awful, terrible, unholy windows...

When in linux, i used 3600dpi at .6 sensi and all was perfect. (.4 in 4.1.1, what's that all about?)
Now, in win7, i have my sensi at a point where it feels exactly the same as in linux, but I have a huge problem...
Short slow movements of the mouse are perfect, like correcting aim as the opponent jiggles about.
But, when I do my quick flick to 180, the crosshair barely moves and I have to pick the mouse up, replace it at the other end of the pad, and then slowly move it over to get 180.
Obviously this has gotten me killed enough times to bring on some srs rage.
First off, yes I have "absolutely destroy pointer precision" turned off in windows.
I have my logitech software installed for my mouse with all acceleration turned off.
cl_mouseaccell 0 etc etc...
i have applied the registry fix from searching google, and used the tool that tells you if input matches pointer and it does.
on the desktop, it works perfectly, if i flick the mouse sharply, even just a millimeter, it flies across the screen.

so, what is it about UrT that gives me mouse deceleration???
the other added bonuses of drastically reduced fps and screen tearing/flickering were just barely doable, but this is killing me.
why is UrT so much better on linux???

does anyone else have this problem?
i see lots of people with the reverse problem all over google for many fps games. they complain that mouse acceleration moves the crosshair way too far, too quickly, and people say to turn off windows acceleration. nothing i have done has made any change. If I have to give up all my muscle memory and start learning to play UrT from scratch I will be very upset. I don't know if I can be bothered, to be honest.

anyway, kind devs and fellow players, if you know of a solution please, please inform me of it, because I am dieing over here.

#2 User is offline   Nstar Icon

Posted 16 December 2013 - 07:37 PM

i found thisthread and will experiment for a while... results to follow

#3 User is offline   p5yc0runn3r Icon

•   former FS member   
    Engine Developer
  • Account: p5yc0runn3r

Posted 16 December 2013 - 07:39 PM

View Postxoai, on 16 December 2013 - 07:37 PM, said:

i found thisthread and will experiment for a while... results to follow

You have to use RAW mouse for those type of movements in Windows. Set in_mouse CVAR to 2 and restart.
dmaHD developer | engine developer | crazy person

#4 User is offline   Nstar Icon

Posted 16 December 2013 - 08:25 PM

View Postp5yc0runn3r, on 16 December 2013 - 07:39 PM, said:

You have to use RAW mouse for those type of movements in Windows. Set in_mouse CVAR to 2 and restart.

you sir, at least for today, are my favorite person in the world.

in_mouse 2 feels almost exactly like linux... a little less reliable (could be my flicks and placebo) but there is a 1:1 ratio between degrees turned and lateral mouse pad distance.

is that a new addition? I saw on other threads about -1,1,3 and tried those... -1 and 3 were same and 1 killed my urt almost.

anyway, thanks loads man!

#5 User is offline   karnute Icon

•   community dev   
  • Account: karnute

Posted 16 December 2013 - 09:47 PM

View Postxoai, on 16 December 2013 - 07:25 PM, said:

When in linux, i used 3600dpi at .6 sensi and all was perfect.

I am just curious about what configuration you used in Linux (Gnome,KDE,..., evdev in Xorg, etc.), because i have (in Linux) dissabled all the acceleration used in the normal desktop (with export SDL_VIDEO_X11_MOUSEACCEL="1/1/0", and xinput --set-prop mymouse "Device Accel Profile" -1, before launch UrT) and cl_mouseaccel 0 in game, but I have a feeling that very small movements make it bump too much... and lowering sensitivity makes mouse too slow in large movements.
Are there other cvars for linux mouse instead of in_mouse, etc.?

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   Nstar Icon

Posted 16 December 2013 - 10:15 PM

View Postkarnute, on 16 December 2013 - 09:47 PM, said:

I am just curious about what configuration you used in Linux (Gnome,KDE,..., evdev in Xorg, etc.), because i have (in Linux) dissabled all the acceleration used in the normal desktop (with export SDL_VIDEO_X11_MOUSEACCEL="1/1/0", and xinput --set-prop mymouse "Device Accel Profile" -1, before launch UrT) and cl_mouseaccel 0 in game, but I have a feeling that very small movements make it bump too much... and lowering sensitivity makes mouse too slow in large movements.
Are there other cvars for linux mouse instead of in_mouse, etc.?

Ahh, i completely forget the exacts of it all, but I was on archlinux with wmfs (no DE).
I used a small file with a single xorg.conf line killing mouse accel (something like 10.mouse in xorg.d directory).
IIrc, there is also a threshold setting in X11 that increases speed/acceleration after a certain threshold (hence the name :)... like you can turn off acceleration only until you reach a certain speed, and then it kicks in. but, that would be horrible for fps games, and sounds like the opposite of your issue.
I would definitely advise using xorg settings that are read on each startup as opposed to export SOME_THING="stuff"
also, i never touched any in_whatever cvars the whole time i played UrT on linux, so whatever the default is is what I used.
Idk if those defaults changed since .015 though.

hope that helps

#7 User is offline   karnute Icon

•   community dev   
  • Account: karnute

Posted 16 December 2013 - 11:49 PM

Thanks, I will try in a separate environment deleting q3config.cfg and without configuring any cvars, maybe I messed it up.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942