• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The long anticipated list Rate Topic: ***** 1 Votes

#61 User is offline   rYuuJiN Icon

•   clan leader   
  • Account: ryuujin

Posted 26 January 2014 - 07:13 PM

Urban Terror is a game, games are meant to be played fair. The rules are clear, there is no need for moral questions.
a thing of beauty is a joy

#62 User is offline   kenchu Icon

•   clan leader   
  • Account: kenchu
  • Main tag: NED|

Posted 26 January 2014 - 07:33 PM

Luckily this time there arent a quadrillion people defending the people on this list :D

I see an improvement!

#63 User is offline   dennisn Icon

• Account: dennisn

Posted 27 January 2014 - 03:41 AM

Frankie V, thanks for the info. I was coming at it from a theoretical perspective -- I don't think there is a great way of preventing cheating, that doesn't catch false-positives. But I guess there are decent ways (perhaps statistical methods that log shooting accuracy, perhaps monitoring movements that track people through walls that should otherwise not be visible, etc), and I guess people will probably be allowed to dispute accusations against them.

I've never been a fan of "security by obscurity" though. I don't think it's necessary. I think you can probably have decent anti-cheating mechanisms, and still keep it all open-source.

#64 User is offline   ziptie Icon

• Account: ziptie
  • Main tag: tR|

Posted 27 January 2014 - 04:12 AM

View Postsneakers, on 24 January 2014 - 02:51 PM, said:

Frankie V wrote that having more than one auth account per person is grounds for suspension.

Played clean for over 7yrs, no demo's, no complaints, only installed and checked out the .015 hack to verify it was fully op to protect out servers at that time (knowing the capabilty of a working new hack is our best defense). did this on our priv server in my clan 24/7 (it was active for all of 15sec's for verification then disconnected and deleted it) and it bit my in the ass. Doesn't matter, nobody will ever get a demo of me using a hack in game to cheat, bc i don't, there was several ppl in our server at the time that can verify this, if anyone from FS wants to discuss it with me and verify facts, i'm more than willing, as well i created an additional auth account solely for clan related alias purposes, doa.blaze was from my old clan Dogs on Acid, kind of conflicted with our new clan PlayUrT 24/7. Hence the additional accnt.

PS: and for statistical purposes, i'm nearly one of the worst players in competition or in pug/pub servers, IF i cheat you would think i should top the charts... i rarely do. =/

This post has been edited by ziptie: 27 January 2014 - 04:16 AM

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/C27bzJl.png[/IMG]
Owner/Founder Play Games 24/7. Clan

#65 User is offline   JRandomNoob Icon

Community Moderator

Posted 27 January 2014 - 04:15 AM

Disclaimer: Not a coder, no access to source anyway, might have misunderstood some parts.

Anticheats — at least the kind of anticheats that work — do not attempt to emulate human decision-making; rather, they directly scan the memory used by the game for foreign code injections. The actual reliability of the results can vary depending on the specific implementation (I think it was PunkBuster that was attacked by people using byte sequences that matched known cheat signatures as their avatars on popular gaming forums), but it has nothing to do with what you’re thinking. Basically the UrT anticheat is an inseparable part of the gamecode that sits there looking over your shoulder and then telling Frozen Sand if it finds anything suspicious; when you score high enough you’re rewarded with a ban.

The auth being shut down between .015 and .016 had nothing to do with the auth itself, this remained as secure as ever, the problem was that the source leak made public the code used for obfuscating the anticheat reports, making it trivial to always send a “clean” report. This incident should make it clear why open source is fundamentally incompatible with such anticheat. There’s no way to force a piece of software to do something against its user’s will it they can just rip out the disagreeable parts and compile a custom version. A good thing in most situations, but not here.
dswp.de
Beginner’s Guide to Urban Terror (woefully out of date)
Daily Deadnade (Last updated September 9, 2016)

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#66 User is offline   KarlMariaSeeberg Icon

Posted 27 January 2014 - 04:30 AM

View Postziptie, on 27 January 2014 - 04:12 AM, said:

.. if anyone from FS wants to discuss it with me and verify facts, i'm more than willing...

i would not wait for them to approach you, it's in your best interest to get in touch with them .. i'd use irc, they don't read their emails on a regular basis ..
if you don't like uptown, you are basically hating urban terror.

#67 User is offline   ziptie Icon

Posted 27 January 2014 - 04:54 AM

View PostKarlMariaSeeberg, on 27 January 2014 - 04:30 AM, said:

i would not wait for them to approach you, it's in your best interest to get in touch with them .. i'd use irc, they don't read their emails on a regular basis ..

tnx for the info, much appreciated i'll def do that, however i don't know what their irc address is...

#68 User is offline   KarlMariaSeeberg Icon

Posted 27 January 2014 - 04:57 AM

look here:
http://www.urbanterr...ntact-the-team/

#69 User is offline   ziptie Icon

Posted 27 January 2014 - 12:36 PM

in irc waiting for a reply, i'll sit there awhile, gtg to bed atm, but anyone wants to discuss this further hit me up there, tnx!

#70 User is offline   KarlMariaSeeberg Icon

Posted 27 January 2014 - 01:23 PM

View Postziptie, on 27 January 2014 - 12:36 PM, said:

in irc waiting for a reply, i'll sit there awhile, gtg to bed atm, but anyone wants to discuss this further hit me up there, tnx!

be there every night, this will take time.. i can assure you

• (9 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942