• +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

My first map (Carentan) Rate Topic: -----

RC

#11 User is offline   JRandomNoob Icon

Community Moderator

Posted 25 May 2014 - 07:41 PM

You can change the topic title by editing the first post. It’s not really necessary though, the title is not misleading, and — keeping the future in mind — on this forum changing the title also breaks all external links to it. If you want to specify the version, you could to add it to the topic description and edit it every time you release an update. (For the record, the correct version would be V1C (or v1c, or whatever capitalization you prefer), the very same one you’re using in the filename. Alpha/beta/RC versioning is just a convention, no big deal if you’re not using these designations.)
dswp.de
Beginner’s Guide to Urban Terror (woefully out of date)
Daily Deadnade (Last updated September 9, 2016)

#12 User is offline   Kolossus Icon

• Account: kolossus

Posted 25 May 2014 - 07:44 PM

I mentioned those as examples, jrandom, I didn't mean to say his choice was wrong lol

#13 User is offline   NulL Icon

•   former FS member   
    Level Designer
  • Account: null

Posted 25 May 2014 - 08:15 PM

Yet again I regret making the default final alpha value -1 instead of zero in the particle studio :)

Not bad for a first attempt, here's a few pointers for going forward:

That smoke effect really doesn't need 500 particles, you'd be surprised by what you can get from just 50 particles. Take a look at the particle system with r_showtris enabled and you'll see that the particles are only visible for 50% of their life span; in the particle studio's blending tab set the alpha2 value to zero instead of -1.

Don't use minlight in the worldspawn, it makes the map look bland, and you look lazy.

Learn how to use decals, whenever I see maps that don't use decals nowadays, they look super clinically clean; this map is in a war zone it should be dirty.

Whats the triangle count on those sandbags? I'm trying to work out why your map's triangle count is so high, I think you've spend something like 30% of your triangles on just those sandbags.

Is the skybox taken from one of the 4.x maps? If it was, you don't need to include the textures in your pk3 file.

#14 User is offline   kryta Icon

• Account: kryta

Posted 25 May 2014 - 08:28 PM

View PostJRandomNoob, on 25 May 2014 - 07:41 PM, said:

You can change the topic title by editing the first post. It’s not really necessary though, the title is not misleading, and — keeping the future in mind — on this forum changing the title also breaks all external links to it. If you want to specify the version, you could to add it to the topic description and edit it every time you release an update. (For the record, the correct version would be V1C (or v1c, or whatever capitalization you prefer), the very same one you’re using in the filename. Alpha/beta/RC versioning is just a convention, no big deal if you’re not using these designations.)

Hi JRandomNoob.

I have seen that is possible to change the post title and description editing the post using full editor, with normal editor is not possible or I can't to see the options.

Now I added in a post description field RC.

Regards.

#15 User is offline   kryta Icon

Posted 25 May 2014 - 08:33 PM

View PostNulL, on 25 May 2014 - 08:15 PM, said:

Yet again I regret making the default final alpha value -1 instead of zero in the particle studio :)

That smoke effect really doesn't need 500 particles, you'd be surprised by what you can get from just 50 particles. Take a look at the particle system with r_showtris enabled and you'll see that the particles are only visible for 50% of their life span; in the particle studio's blending tab set the alpha2 value to zero instead of -1.

Don't use minlight in the worldspawn, it makes the map look bland, and you look lazy.

Learn how to use decals, whenever I see maps that don't use decals nowadays, they look super clinically clean; this map is in a war zone it should be dirty.

Whats the triangle count on those sandbags? I'm trying to work out why your map's triangle count is so high, I think you've spend something like 30% of your triangles on just those sandbags.

Is the skybox taken from one of the 4.x maps? If it was, you don't need to include the textures in your pk3 file.

Hi NulL.

Thank you for your help, when I have free time I will try all.

I'm learning a lot!!

Here blender screenshot of sandbag.

Posted Image

Is there something wrong?

Regards.

This post has been edited by kryta: 25 May 2014 - 08:45 PM

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#16 User is offline   NulL Icon

•   former FS member   
    Level Designer

Posted 25 May 2014 - 09:07 PM

Near 500 triangles is a bit high, there looks to be many more edge loops than are really needed. The front facing side especially.

These:
Posted Image

#17 User is offline   rayne2 Icon

• Account: rayne2

Posted 26 May 2014 - 11:05 AM

Your sandbag models doesn't need more than 100 polygons, one i made long time ago has around 80.

If you're unsure how a model is made use a reference 3D model that has screenshot of the wireframe included, turbosquid.com is extremely helpful for that since most people there show wireframes of their models.

#18 User is offline   kryta Icon

Posted 26 May 2014 - 12:36 PM

Hi.

Oks, when I have free time I'll remove a lot of polygons of sandbag model.

Thank you.

This post has been edited by kryta: 26 May 2014 - 12:50 PM

#19 User is offline   kryta Icon

Posted 01 June 2014 - 11:43 AM

View PostNulL, on 25 May 2014 - 08:15 PM, said:

Hi NulL.

If I remove minlight in the worldspawn inside buildings are very darkness.

How can I do less darkness inside buildings?

Regards.

#20 User is offline   NulL Icon

•   former FS member   
    Level Designer

Posted 01 June 2014 - 01:37 PM

Light entities, or possibly radiosity (eg -bounce 99 when compiling) to bounce the sun light around inside the buildings. Probably a combination of both.

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942