For a bright Future.

#11 User is offline   Nounou Icon

•   former FS member   
    Concept Artist
  • Account: nounou

Posted 30 May 2014 - 10:45 AM

View PostMr.Yeah, on 29 May 2014 - 12:29 PM, said:

You never cratered in Quake3, did you?

with 10 damages max it's pretty hard to lemming. So that's just something you rarely consider.

I don't remember how higher it was in q3, probably not much.

#12 User is offline   lurf Icon

• Account: lurf

Posted 09 June 2014 - 04:17 PM

Completely agree with OP. Have been arguing this point for years now. Urt stands out because of the movements mechanics. Uptown does this best. In fact, Uptown is the only reason I still play urt (just played a game after about 2 years of absence). It would be very cool if this side of the game would be developed further.

I understand there are some technical issues involved with verticality, but I can't imagine they can't be overcome.

#13 User is offline   shoushou Icon

• Account: shoushou

Posted 10 June 2014 - 06:26 PM

Well, there are some reasons why verticality isn't a good thing in Urban Terror, and the person who did the comparaison with Quake is right :
- Compared to Quake, the damages you take from falling, whether it's because you fail your jump or because you get hitted during it, is way too high to make those huge jumps usefull. While jumping, you have a disadvantage of position.
- Compared to Quake, we have also some dispersion while firing, and this dispersion is much higher when you are jumping. So even if you are the best aimer in the world, you still have a disadvantage because of your jump. And of course, I'm not even talking about the fact it's harder to aim while jumping, because you're moving, usually fast.
- Limited Stamina. Won't explain, it's kinda explicit.
- Harder to go up and down. In Quake, you can use some weapons to jump higher. In UrT, there are no such things. We could use some ladder, but the ladders in actual gameplay are way too slow. Using ladders with same physics as CS one could be a good thing in urt.

#14 User is offline   KarlMariaSeeberg Icon

Posted 10 June 2014 - 09:00 PM

in my opinion only people capable of jumping from g3 to laundro in and back are qualified to partake in this discussion ...
everybody else is just a walker not having an idea what advantage you actually can gain using jumps.. .
if you don't like uptown, you are basically hating urban terror.

#15 User is offline   shoushou Icon

• Account: shoushou

Posted 11 June 2014 - 12:32 AM

That topic was serious until then, please stop trolling KMS ...

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#16 User is offline   KarlMariaSeeberg Icon

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:06 AM

well, the way i see it you were the one who started the trolling:

View Postshoushou, on 10 June 2014 - 06:26 PM, said:

there are some reasons why verticality isn't a good thing in Urban Terror

and to be honest i really think that people who feel the need to question vertical gameplay in urt better know what they are talking about..

but i think it says a lot about the relevance of this very forum that you can complain about vertical gameplay without being laughed at by the majority of the players around here

for the sake of keeping this thread on track:

- the high fall damage isn't a reason to complain, it's a reason to practice more, for those who can jump the fall damage isn't an issue .. "While jumping, you have a disadvantage of position." really, that's like stating that while walking you have the disadvantage of position or while existing having the disadavantage of position .. that's not a point that's simply redundant .

- wow .. movement penalty.. one might think you're trying to convince fs to lose the movement penalty .. (maybe you are a jumper at heart after all), that's what i am talking about when claiming there is a strategic aspect to jumping .. you are discribing a situation where you attack using a high skill jump, that's of course not gonna end well if you are up against amish or any decent shooter .. this might be news to you but if a clan moves on a map looking for their opponent vertical gameplay can of course give you the upper hand... and we are strictly speaking league gameplay here.. on a public server your argument would be invalid anyway (no need to explain this any further)

- you need to learn to except boundaries ..

- cs one?

to those who would pass the acid.. aeh uptown jump test: help me out here..

This post has been edited by KarlMariaSeeberg: 11 June 2014 - 09:10 AM

#18 User is offline   KarlMariaSeeberg Icon

Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:38 AM

i don't see valid points here, i see someone who's attacking a core feature of the game but by comparing urt to quake he sounds like someone who wants to unleash urt's jump features .. that's contradictory

i think jumping should not be an easy thing to do, modern shooters rely on the mere time you are willing to spend on the game in order to have access to new features (you even get rewarded for failure), in urt you have to be willing to learn, willing to gain skill, you can play urt for years and still be a walker, like xiuxiu, as far as i am concerned urt's learning curve is one of the reasons it's addictive... and i guess same can be said about quake but i am wandering off the topic

thinking about xiuxiu and alike you have to recognize that it is important to have a walljump limit and to have stamina, everything else would just break the game for those stuck to the ground..

right now urt is a well balanced game: you got your average noob or lazy long time player covered (walking an shooting) and for those willing to learn the depth of the mechanics offers a whole new dimension.

if you changed that you'd break the game for one of those two groups..

i am starting to repeat myself..

in the end as you can see, xiuxiu, i do care about your well-being in-game.. i hope you can appreciate that..

This post has been edited by KarlMariaSeeberg: 11 June 2014 - 01:33 PM

#19 User is offline   Pez Icon

• Account: pez
  • Main tag: strayA#

Posted 11 June 2014 - 01:59 PM

View PostKarlMariaSeeberg, on 11 June 2014 - 11:38 AM, said:

i'm sorry but are who are you to be talking down to people? you say others don't have a opinion because they can't do certain jump or something silly; just remember its not just about you around here. A bit of common curtsey towards others opinions would be great. <3

On a happier note i think happyday has hit the nail on the end, at the moment jumping is very predicable and no matter how good you are at a jump a leg shot will instantly impede you; therefore jumping in competitive games where the aim is very good is less viable. Now we could take steps to strengthen the advantage jumping gives you or keep it the same.

This post has been edited by Pez: 11 June 2014 - 02:06 PM

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942