• +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

HappyDay's Blog #002

Rebuilding Uptown's Geometry

#11 User is offline   Lecter2142 Icon

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:23 PM

View PostHappyday, on 26 June 2014 - 07:42 AM, said:

I don't know how the ue4 spectator system works, afaik it's not a decision I can make as a mapper (I might be wrong). If I could choose I'd let the spectators move through walls simply because it's more convenient.

Well it's not only about spectator. It's just that in any view you are you can move through walls (/clip and you can move through them, etc).

For your information, it is not convenient in terms of performance. The fact that the map is not closed is one of the reasons why some people are experiencing low FPS and a low game quality.

#15 User is offline   Lecter2142 Icon

Posted 28 June 2014 - 04:07 PM

View PostHappyday, on 26 June 2014 - 11:37 PM, said:

I don't really know what you are referring to. Are you talking about some console command to let you fly through walls? If so, that won't inherently affect performance at all. Only when you are inside/between the walls larger parts of the map might be rendered which of course leads to poorer performance but that's just the way this stuff works.

Okay forget the /clip. My point is the actual maps in UrT are not closed (you can go wherever you want in spectator mode, you can climb up in the sky for as long as you want, you can go through walls, etc. If you want to optimize the game so that it doesn't take too much resources from CPU, close them. Don't allow the spectator view to go wherever possible. Example: Quake Live. The maps are closed, you can't look wherever you want. Result: the game is optimized thus doesn't make some people's computers run out of breath.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#16 User is offline   Muffie Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: muffie

Posted 28 June 2014 - 07:00 PM

In the world of urbanterror, you can't exactly expect the world to be like ours, we jump and run faster then any game out there.

Yes sometimes that makes for an odd map layout, but if you took cod maps and played urt on them the flow wouldn't work, you'd be getting hung up on everything.
.:| Win10 x64 | AMD R5 2600 | 16Gb G.Skill cL16@3ghz | ASUS STRIX Vega 64 |:.

#18 User is offline   banksy Icon

• Account: banksy
  • Main tag: CMM|

Posted 29 June 2014 - 04:07 AM

I understand Uptown is loved for its gameplay, it's just that if Urban Terror/Frozen Sand want to attract a new audience with a new engine and get with the times, then realism is needed if you want to compete with other games!

I'm not saying, change the layout at all. Keep it the same, just make it real!

Happyday,

New idea for third story! It could possibly be an unfinished level. Say you make the room thats already there, but just give it concrete textured walls, and for the top of the second story where the vents are, replace the vents with pallets of bricks, and make it look like the third story is still being built. And for realism just chuck some plywood around.

#19 User is offline   banksy Icon

• Account: banksy
  • Main tag: CMM|

Posted 29 June 2014 - 04:26 AM

http://graphics8.nyt...SE1-blog480.jpg

http://www.google.co...start=0&ndsp=66

http://www.google.co...start=0&ndsp=65

^ Just that kind of look on the second story roof top, to make it look like the third story will eventually become a larger floor, and possibly serve a purpous
A similar look to CS:GO's Vertigo.

Sorry for double post :/

This post has been edited by banksy: 29 June 2014 - 04:27 AM

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942