• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Urban Terror 4.3 Rate Topic: ***** 1 Votes

#102 User is offline   SailorMo-n Icon

•   league admin   
  • Account: sailormon
  • Main tag: sC`

Posted 26 January 2015 - 09:09 PM

Jus this: great! Can't wait to see how it looks and how it performs.

Thank you FS.

PS: Fun-fact -- some 4 years ago I purchased a GTX 460 and beefed up the PSU preparing for a new rumoured Urt release :P

This post has been edited by SailorMo-n: 26 January 2015 - 09:11 PM

Caco, ergo sum!

#103 User is offline   garcassgrinder Icon

Posted 26 January 2015 - 11:06 PM

ioquake3's VoIP support added to 4.3 would be awesome

http://ioquake3.org/...support-in-svn/

#104 User is offline   KarlMariaSeeberg Icon

Posted 26 January 2015 - 11:15 PM

View Postgarcassgrinder, on 26 January 2015 - 11:06 PM, said:

ioquake3's VoIP support added to 4.3 would be awesome

http://ioquake3.org/...support-in-svn/

haha.. this is so 2008

; )
if you don't like uptown, you are basically hating urban terror.

#105 User is offline   Psogen Icon

• Account: psogen
  • Main tag: FTK|

Posted 28 January 2015 - 05:59 AM

View PostBludShoT, on 23 January 2015 - 06:34 AM, said:

It's clearly a bad idea to attempt to use animations that exceed the design limitations of the engine the game uses. (That's not rocket science.) You should have fixed them the moment you realized that they exceeded the design limitations of the engine.

But imo, you loved your ideas about your animations more than you loved, or at least understood, urban terror. (Even though your animation ideas did not work out how you wanted them to due to engine limitations, and even just due to game mechanic and logic reasons; you *can* shoot while running in urt, this is not True Combat Elite or America's Army where your gun is held sideways against your chest while sprinting.) You were either unwilling to fix them (and I realize md3 is a nightmare to work with but that's how it is) or incapable (which I doubt), so it's too bad someone else couldn't have been found to do it. And I realize you and FS don't owe anyone anything, and you can do what you want, it's a free game.

I know you said the code just wasn't up to par to support your animations, but, the reality is that you must create the animations and maps and assets to fit the engine you are using, not the other way around - unless you are in the position to do that, which you weren't. The same thing applies in Unreal 4, but the ceiling is so much higher it shouldn't be an issue - but it still can be whenever devs ignore engine limitations.

Also I don't think you really knew, or prescribed to, the legacy of Urt (I know you didn't based on reading non-pro ideas you wrote about overhauling the bullet damage system) as a game that people worked very hard for years to tweak to be ultra suitable for competition. (So, in your defense, you might not have understood why your animations ruined the game and needed to be fixed - but you could have listened to urt veterans though.) [And apparently(?) euro's didn't find that it ruined the game, but, let's just say that I think the euro style of urt is more forgiving towards minor visual issues; ie: it is a clusterbutt of nades, rushing, and spam, so animation issues would be less noticeable.]

The last time Urt had player animations that did not exceed the design limitations of the engine was 4.1.

Imagine if the maps designed for 4.2 exceeded the design limitations of the engine. The maps would be unplayable and laggy. Would the map designers then just blame the engine, or would they say 'Oh yeah our maps are too open and too high poly, let's fix them'?

But I don't think there is any point in changing the animations for 4.3, I am not suggesting or lobbying for that. Anybody who is still playing Urt must be ok with them, so no need.

For me the last true Urban Terror was 4.1 (through no fault of most of the folks who did make lots of cool things and features for 4.2), but I wish you guys the best!

For the running animations, Frozensand did indeed allow running while shooting, but I think you are misunderstanding their overall idea on what their motto is "Fun Over Realism". They take a less reality based and physics based stance, but an ideal in trying to make Urban Terror more fun. I mean who can survive jumping off a cliff? Like honestly, if we were to take a more reality based approach to it, I think it would kill the fun in my opinion, so yeah.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#107 User is offline   killspree Icon

• Account: killspree
  • Main tag: ds`

Posted 28 January 2015 - 01:06 PM

View PostPsogen, on 28 January 2015 - 05:59 AM, said:

For the running animations, Frozensand did indeed allow running while shooting, but I think you are misunderstanding their overall idea on what their motto is "Fun Over Realism". They take a less reality based and physics based stance, but an ideal in trying to make Urban Terror more fun. I mean who can survive jumping off a cliff? Like honestly, if we were to take a more reality based approach to it, I think it would kill the fun in my opinion, so yeah.

why dont you just use the 4.1 animations they look cool they make the game urt now it just looks any wolfenstein omgwtfbbq!!!
or at least the possibility to get those animations io dont know if it is possible to have a menu like the outfits that can be changed??

This post has been edited by killspree: 28 January 2015 - 01:07 PM

#108 User is offline   killspree Icon

Posted 28 January 2015 - 03:44 PM

View Postm3t4l2, on 03 January 2015 - 10:55 PM, said:

Just put it on the Steam guys, that's all I'm asking for. :D

this is actually a good idea steam games get promoted and are put on steam when they get played enough this should be no problem for the game because it already has a good following.

That would also be a good way to get more players and promotion.
Think about it how can someone who has never heard about urt find this game i found it years agoo buy searching this in google: free online fps, urban terror should advertise more steam could get urt to a whole new level.

Keep looking forward.
(it's alway's more interesting to look at what you can acomplish)

#109 User is offline   SailorMo-n Icon

•   league admin   
  • Account: sailormon
  • Main tag: sC`

Posted 28 January 2015 - 07:39 PM

View Postkillspree, on 28 January 2015 - 03:44 PM, said:

this is actually a good idea steam games get promoted and are put on steam when they get played enough this should be no problem for the game because it already has a good following.

That would also be a good way to get more players and promotion.
Think about it how can someone who has never heard about urt find this game i found it years agoo buy searching this in google: free online fps, urban terror should advertise more steam could get urt to a whole new level.

Keep looking forward.
(it's alway's more interesting to look at what you can acomplish)

I would expect this to be be FS's strategy once they clear the IP issues with some of the current maps. I'd love to see UrT going a bit more popular, like used to be some time ago -- at least in the active/league/gtv community part -- and I can't imagine any other way of achieving something like that.

This post has been edited by SailorMo-n: 28 January 2015 - 07:41 PM

Caco, ergo sum!

#110 User is offline   killspree Icon

Posted 28 January 2015 - 07:50 PM

View PostSailorMo-n, on 28 January 2015 - 07:39 PM, said:

I would expect this to be be FS's strategy once they clear the IP issues with some of the current maps. I'd love to see UrT going a bit more popular, like used to be some time ago -- at least in the active/league/gtv community part -- and I can't imagine any other way of achieving something like that.

yes like i said i found this game by accident by searching google so urt could use some adv.
how can anyone know this game excists if they dont go out searching the web for free fps>?

• (30 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored link
https://www.urbanterror.info/members/donate/

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942