• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Urban Terror 4.3 Rate Topic: ***** 1 Votes

#261 User is offline   Azle Icon

• Account: azle
  • Main tag: .aCe.

Posted 09 April 2016 - 07:25 AM

View PostFrankie V, on 08 April 2016 - 11:26 PM, said:

In 4.2 with the correction hits, collision, now occurs 100% of the time that increases hits by the once lost 15% but at the same time increases the player being hit 15% more times than they did in 4.1

And we clearly see the difference in the competitive stats. The best division 1 players use to deal between 2500 and 3500 damage over 20 minutes on the 4.1, and today the average is between 2900 and 4000.

This post has been edited by Azle: 09 April 2016 - 07:26 AM

Azle
Visit http://urtimes.info for Urban Terror News !

#262 User is offline   szejdi Icon

• Account: szejdi
  • Main tag:

Posted 09 April 2016 - 11:21 AM

So is this thing out yet?

#263 User is offline   KarlMariaSeeberg Icon

Posted 09 April 2016 - 11:42 AM

View Postszejdi, on 09 April 2016 - 11:21 AM, said:

So is this thing out yet?

good one
if you don't like uptown, you are basically hating urban terror.

#264 User is offline   Biddle Icon

• Account: biddle
  • Main tag: fr.

Posted 10 April 2016 - 11:44 PM

View PostFenix, on 08 April 2016 - 11:19 AM, said:

Since with the, hopefully future/near, release of HD you are basically killing the 4.x branch I don't see any drawback in making the source code available to the open source community to gain benefits from contributions. Speaking clearly, we aren't talking about revealing classified stuff here, it's still a > 10 years old videogame we are talking about, and probably no one will give a damn about it, but it could be worth trying.

You clearly have a valid point here. On a FrozenSand POV, we do not recruit anymore Dev Members to work on UrT 4 branch. Code wize, only Barbatos (or one or the other coder keen to get a specific feature implemented, or just to help out) devotes some of his time on getting 4.3 done. Our concerns, objectives and motivation are only directed to HD and on Unreal Engine 4. Therefore, yes, after 4.3 is released, we wont be working more on any quake3 engine Urban Terror version. Making at that point the code available to the community is, I beleive, a smart idea. That's just my opinion.

#265 User is offline   killspree Icon

• Account: killspree
  • Main tag: ds`

Posted 11 April 2016 - 02:21 AM

Yes that is a great idea!

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#266 User is offline   KroniK Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: kronik

Posted 11 April 2016 - 06:06 PM

View PostBiddle, on 10 April 2016 - 11:44 PM, said:

You clearly have a valid point here. On a FrozenSand POV, we do not recruit anymore Dev Members to work on UrT 4 branch. Code wize, only Barbatos (or one or the other coder keen to get a specific feature implemented, or just to help out) devotes some of his time on getting 4.3 done. Our concerns, objectives and motivation are only directed to HD and on Unreal Engine 4. Therefore, yes, after 4.3 is released, we wont be working more on any quake3 engine Urban Terror version. Making at that point the code available to the community is, I beleive, a smart idea. That's just my opinion.

The tricky bit is separating the code from the assets. 99% of all the assets are copyrighted by the FS members who made them. The code is owned by the devs who wrote it as well, and so that also might end up causing the open sourcing of that to never happen, however I do hope it does happen at some point once HD is is rocking and rolling.

#267 User is offline   Fenix Icon

•   former FS member   
  • Account: fenix

Posted 16 April 2016 - 09:36 AM

View PostKroniK, on 11 April 2016 - 06:06 PM, said:

The code is owned by the devs who wrote it as well, and so that also might end up causing the open sourcing of that to never happen

This is not true. FS is a company and to join FS you need to sign a contribution agreement so all the contents belong to FS and not to the original author. And I can tell you that 99% of the source code of Urban Terror is composed of line of codes produced by people that joined FS after the signing of the contribution agreement (and I'm one of them). Also no one will give a shit about it (but that's just my point of view). I recalled this argument just for consistency sake, but I believe it's already very late for doing so since back then when I was in FS many people were interested in doing dev for UrT, now very few people as far as I can see so probably there won't be any development at all. I personally lost interest in doing development stuff for this game, even though I play since v3.7 I believe (and I'm not taling just of the game, that was pretty clear a couple of years ago).

#269 User is offline   Fenix Icon

•   former FS member   
  • Account: fenix

Posted 16 April 2016 - 06:21 PM

View PostBarbatos, on 16 April 2016 - 11:40 AM, said:

This is only the case since 2010. All previous contributors remain owners of their code by law.

No, 99% of Urban Terror's code is not composed of contributions made after 2010. Not even close to 40%.

As far as I remember 4.2 branch was not a continue of 4.1 codebase, but maybe I remember wrong....anyway was just trying to make a point here Posted Image

#270 User is offline   Solitary Icon

•   former FS member   
    Programmer
  • Account: solitary
  • Main tag: GlaD-

Posted 16 April 2016 - 08:38 PM

In terms of open sourcing the 4.x branch, I think if that is to occur it should be after the community has transitioned to HD.

This community has seen enough division due to different versions of the game (4.1 vs 4.2). From that experience we should take away that:
  • Releases should never be made prematurely.
  • At some level the community must be consulted. We are the audience. A lot of us would have told you that the 4.2.01 animations were not at the level of quality expected.

The transition from 3.7 to 4.0 was seamless and quick. The transition from 4.1 to 4.2 was a painful experience due to a prematurely released product. I sincerely hope that lessons were learned.

But, until HD is ready the small fixes to 4.x are welcomed.

This post has been edited by Solitary: 16 April 2016 - 08:39 PM

• (30 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942