Login | Register 
Advertisement
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ping Issues. Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Crystalline Icon

Posted 04 December 2015 - 05:29 AM

What exactly affects Ping? I'm from Europe and, when playing on a Brazilian server, my ping's super high. Granted, it should be high nonetheless, due to how far away the place the server's hosted at is, but not as high as 230 or so.

If I get a connection with more mbps (I have around 30 now) will I get a better ping?

Does it have to do with the quality of the server itself?

Is it the ethernet cables/interfaces my hardware might use?

And no, I'm not downloading anything when I experience the aforementioned high ping, so it must be something else.

Any advice is appreciated.

#3 User is offline   thelionroars Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: thelionroars

Posted 04 December 2015 - 02:51 PM

Number of hops is not the whole story, the distance between hops is usually the most significant factor (speed of light latency is a b&%@#). You are going to get a lot of latency when the communication is between continents - 230ms round trip time from Europe to South America sounds about right.

There are only 2 things that could improve the ping between continents - choosing a different (shorter route) undersea cable for the communication and improved routing by the carriers it is travelling through (assuming the routing is not already optimal). You have no control over either of these, it's entirely up to the ISPs of yourself and the game server's provider and who they peer with.

This post has been edited by thelionroars: 04 December 2015 - 02:52 PM

#4 User is offline   Crystalline Icon

Posted 04 December 2015 - 05:29 PM

View Postthelionroars, on 04 December 2015 - 02:51 PM, said:

Number of hops is not the whole story, the distance between hops is usually the most significant factor (speed of light latency is a b&%@#). You are going to get a lot of latency when the communication is between continents - 230ms round trip time from Europe to South America sounds about right.

There are only 2 things that could improve the ping between continents - choosing a different (shorter route) undersea cable for the communication and improved routing by the carriers it is travelling through (assuming the routing is not already optimal). You have no control over either of these, it's entirely up to the ISPs of yourself and the game server's provider and who they peer with.

Hmmm, so there's not much I can do, apparently?

Frankie did comment on my question regarding ethernet cables, and my hardware's interfaces, and such. Do you think buying better cable would help? Gosh, I know how noob'ish this sounds, so just bear with me, haha. I'll mention one thing, though, I currently am using Powerline adapters to connect, but it technically still is a direct connection. Still, do you thing it'd be different if I had a cable directly plugged into the Modem/Router? Not that I can do that, given certain limitations, but regardless, I'm still curious.

#5 User is offline   Iye Icon

•   head moderator   
    Co-Chief Community Moderator
  • Account: iye

Posted 04 December 2015 - 07:57 PM

You have no control over either of these, it's entirely up to the ISPs of yourself and the game server's provider and who they peer with.

Oh yeah. i remember when my ISP decided to change my routing to the US and my ping on every US server was increased by 40.
Or when coget decided to drop UDP packets in the US/around boston IXP...

Anyways. Back to topic.

i suppose nothing will help you with an EU to SA connection. you get a ping of about 110 to NA east coast IXPs from germany, then add the fact that you need another connection to SA and you end up somewhere at 200+.

so assuming that your bandwidth to your ISP is above 1MB/s down and maybe .5MB/s up there is nothing you can do about that.

neither a better cable(hell, a better cable might get you ~1ms in your LAN, thats probably not even measurable in a EU to SA connection), nor swithching you dLAN (powerLAN) for a real ethernet cable will help that. Sure a dLAN can get crappy if there are a lot of electronics connected to your power line, something like power strip with a switch can already create interferences, but that is something you would notice as a stuttering connection, not a overall increased ping.

Hope that clarifies it.
Sorry for my bad spelling - I am still asleep. :)

|=| Iye's UrT Addon |=| Firefox Personas |=| Maps |=|
http://www.mediafire...vk3a602hcfg.jpg

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#7 User is offline   Crystalline Icon

Posted 05 December 2015 - 01:19 AM

Thanks for all the input, guys. I understand the situation, now.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942