• +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

UrT HD map destruction

#1 User is offline   dynomite33 Icon

• Account: dynomite33
  • Main tag: [SQD]

Posted 04 December 2015 - 03:26 PM

Do you think map destruction (a la Battlefield) would be a good addition to UrT HD? Maybe have it toggleable in server options for those who don't want it. Even destruction as small as removing fences and small walls would make the game a lot more interesting and making every match play out uniquely. It would also make the nade launcher more useful.
IGN : Ernst

Wo ist Schmidt?

#2 User is offline   Iye Icon

•   head moderator   
    Co-Chief Community Moderator
  • Account: iye

Posted 04 December 2015 - 05:01 PM

technically we already have that. (like you can create func_destructible with the options to be destroyed by 1-x HEs, 1-xHKs...) Its all manual mappers work (aka setting the parts of the wall up as different brushes and so on) though.
So i would say maybe, but definitely leave it to the mapper. Also i personally don't really think it would fit UrT.
I mean blowing a hole into a wall to get another route open, sure, but blowing up half the building? No. (except for the bomb explosion in bombmode maybe)

destroying a fence or a small wall? maybe. but that's the most i would want. A server Cvar would be a nice thing as well.

So most simple solution: keep it like it is right now, and we are all good. (maybe allow for an automated creation of fragments though)

This post has been edited by Iye: 04 December 2015 - 05:03 PM

Sorry for my bad spelling - I am still asleep. :)

|=| Iye's UrT Addon |=| Firefox Personas |=| Maps |=|
http://www.mediafire...vk3a602hcfg.jpg

#5 User is offline   BurakQuaresma Icon

• Account: burakquaresma

Posted 05 December 2015 - 01:14 AM

Maybe on some custom maps but for classic maps no. Also its not easy for a small dev group like FS to get that work well. Its time waste better focus on much more important things.

This post has been edited by BurakQuaresma: 05 December 2015 - 01:15 AM

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   Iye Icon

•   head moderator   

Posted 05 December 2015 - 01:26 AM

There is automatic fragment generation in Q3 UrT

i was referring to the mapper being able to select with parts of the wall can be blown out(aka not the whole wall being blown but it being destructible in "pieces") , sure they then get scattered in pieces.

#7 User is offline   Dark-knight Icon

• Account: darkknight

Posted 05 December 2015 - 12:52 PM

minus the gravity and travel time aspec. I think this would be amazing in UrT HD.

Simply amazing

This post has been edited by Dark-knight: 05 December 2015 - 12:53 PM

View PostbeautifulNihilist, on 09 September 2015 - 08:50 PM, said:

there are no flaws in Urban Terror, only features.

#8 User is offline   beautifulNihilist Icon

•   verified user   

Posted 05 December 2015 - 10:31 PM

Breathtaking.
I am a bit concerned about HD when we start moving towards projectiles rather than hitscan.

Most games have slow moving players where slow moving bullets aren't that big of a deal, and leading shots is based on bullet velocity.
Urban Terror has instead lightning-fast moving players where our hitscan weapons have to deal with leading shots based on player velocity.
If we make bullets too slow combined with fast movements, every single gunfight looks like a bad A-Team shootout with Matrix dodging.
Tribes: Ascend. Nobody ever takes a hit unless it's explosive or sniper round. Or something stealthy.
Battlefield 4. All bullets are slightly faster than thrown balled-up socks and it takes multiple headshots to kill.

I'm not against a tiny amount of it, but Urban Terror has been glorified laser tag with it's hitscan and no penetration gunplay. Even a small amount of either bullet travel time (and worse, DROP) or penetration drastically changes most every aspect of how the game is played.

Both penetration and projectile-bullets are treacherous in twitch shooters. People that memorize the maps need only to shoot at the wall where the choke points are.
With no penetration, any time you are hit you were on Somebody's screen for at least a frame.
You know that bitch who shoots you in the head every time you round the corner? Imagine if you didn't have to come around the corner.

Yes it all goes both ways and we all learn to adapt, but that's the point: It changes everything.
Yes Urban Terror is much smaller in scale to either of those games, and the comparison was never great.

There are many things to improve about Urban Terror that should come with HD. New-tech bullet physics is not high on my list, not if we want to have the same game.

#9 User is offline   Iye Icon

•   head moderator   

Posted 05 December 2015 - 11:19 PM

New-tech bullet physics is not high on my list, not if we want to have the same game.

True words being told. I do like bullet penetration. its a fun thing. but ballistics? That would be too much of a change imo. (i guess thats what "-gravity and travel time" was meant to say)

i guess i could live with the possibility of bullet penetration, but only with greatly reduced damage (aka -80%+), and only through very thin objects, or maybe wooden crates. Best option: just leave its usage entirely to the mapper.

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942