• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Grabclimbing ledges

#1 User is offline   KroniK Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: kronik

Posted 01 January 2016 - 06:53 AM

Hey guys,

One thing that I wanted to bring up is determining what allows a player to grabclimb on a given ledge. On the old 4.x we had lots of limitations and forced the mapper to use funny angles on any ledge they didn't want to allow the player to grabclimb.

On UrT HD, I would like to see some finer control over which ledges are climbable and which are not. I'm not sure if this could be set with a physics material or something similar, but there are several scenarios which I would like to be possible when making maps in HD.

The first is having a sharp 90 degree angle ledge which I don't want players to be able to climb. In 4.x you would have to set a slight angle to the corner so that the player couldn't get to that corner to be able to grab. I'd rather not have to use this sort of hack and actually be able to set that a ledge is not climbable. This mostly just comes into play with cosmetics for creating jump maps. Many landing platforms should not allow a grabclimb on the ending platform, but it would look funny if the angle of the ledge was something other than 90 degrees.

The second scenario I can see is having something like a round stick or horizontal flag pole that a player can grab and climb up on. Now with 4.x you would usually create an invisible caulk brush that had 90 degree corners that the player could grab. in this case, I think being able to climb rounded surfaces should also be allowed assuming the radius is something reasonable. But of course, not all flag poles and branches should be climbable so it should be able to be turned off as well.

The third scenario I can think of is of a steeply sloped ramp that has a top ledge that is greater than 90 degrees. in 4.x it was just flat impossible to make a ledge like this grabbable. I think it would be nice to allow a player to grab a ledge like this when the map maker wants to allow it.

Anyway, I was in the process of coming up with a theme/design for a bit of a test jump map I wanted to make with blender and UE4 and thought it would be cool to have a player jumping and grabbing something like tree branches or flag poles, and wanted to maybe have control of being able to let the player grab climb on those types of ledges.

Thanks for the hard work and happy new year.

#3 User is offline   killspree Icon

• Account: killspree
  • Main tag: ds`

Posted 02 January 2016 - 04:33 AM

View PostBladeKiller, on 01 January 2016 - 10:16 PM, said:

You could have put slick on any ledges you didn't want them to be able to grab in 4.x. In the cases of items that are not square you could have used player clip over them.

http://s-media-cache...b4e519fd1be.jpg

Didn't know about the slick but yes the "clip" or otherwise known as "the invisible wall" can be used, something that translates into unreal 4 and is something that is standard already inside the unreal 4 editor.

So you can in unreal 4 make an invisible wall anywhere you want that the player can grab or walk on.

These are basic things they will work out fine probably you will get to grips soon enough with the concept of creating collisions for custom meshes you created in blender because they are going to have none are a very basic one when importing your mesh to unreal 4.
When you talk about the character and the environment they both will have separate collision and have to interact, the bottom of the player will have a flat collision surface and can therefore balance even on a pointed collision surface from the environment.
With that in mind the environment collision will alway's have to be actual 3d geometry and can not be made like let's say the alpha channel on a flat 2d surface to create a branch from a tree.

Greetsz,

This post has been edited by killspree: 02 January 2016 - 04:55 AM

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942