Advertisement
  • (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Grappling Hook

#11 User is offline   JerryBeansMan Icon

Posted 07 October 2016 - 11:06 PM

I've always been fond of minsta+hook mode in quake2 based xonotic.
Makes urban terror feel slow when switching between the two.

Jerry, a bean soldier, believes he is the strongest warrior in the world, but his true abilities are still untested.

#12 User is offline   karnute Icon

•   community dev   
  • Account: karnute

Posted 08 October 2016 - 12:18 AM

View PostBladeKiller, on 06 October 2016 - 09:30 PM, said:

This sounds like the old grappling hook from Q2.

Yes, IIRC it was in Quake2, there were a mod with grappling hook that you could only use instead of the weapon. If fired upon a player it make continuous damage until released (and maybe moving the player). Also you could go up and down the chain (pressing jump or crouch) slowly while hanging of it by holding pressed fire button.
It could be a selectable (secondary?) weapon with the special ability to hook, pull, and swing, but while hanging (or wielding it) you cannot fire other weapons until releasing +attack button and switch weapon.

This post has been edited by karnute: 09 October 2016 - 12:39 AM

#14 User is offline   Magister Icon

• Account: magister

Posted 12 October 2016 - 07:00 PM

I have a strong opinion of this issue from my experience for many years playing a popular quake2/3 CTF mod which had an offhand grapple.

Please do not do this offhand grapple!

An offhand grapple drastically changes the gameplay in many ways and has very many unintended side-effects. It changes all existing maps and how they can be played, it changes how new maps are developed, it changes the speed and tempo of the game. It changes the style of the game into way more of an ARCADE style game instead of a game that is supposed to be somewhat loosely based on reality.

In my opinion this would be worse than just a waste of time and effort and would actually be detrimental to Urban Terror.

If a person wants to MONKEY ROPE around then I suggest go find another game that fits this style of play. I know what this looks like when you have an offhand grapple. Picture it in your head when you are playing on a server and there are maybe 7 or 8 grapples being shot out and across the map at any given time.

That kind of gameplay fits well with the style of classic arcade quake but not Urban Terror. I really hope I never see the day when I join a public Urban Terror server and there are grapple lines being launched all across my screen!

This post has been edited by Magister: 12 October 2016 - 07:02 PM

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#16 User is offline   Ikslorin Icon

•   verified user   
  • Account: ikslorin

Posted 13 October 2016 - 03:43 PM

BladeKiller, seems weird and a bit against current design, where no non-gametype specific item is only allowed on one player at a time... especially as a reward seems quite iffy to me.

The idea of either an optional item or secondary weapon, together with it working more like a whip than a gravity defying hook, similar to the whip in Lawbreakers, as suggested at some point earlier, seems to me to be a more fitting, interesting and skillful addition to the current movement systems.

This post has been edited by Ikslorin: 28 October 2016 - 06:59 AM

YouTube: youtube.com/ikslorin -|- Tweet, tweet: @ikslorin
Email: ikslorin[at]gmail[dot]com -|- Twitch: twitch.tv/ikslorin

#17 User is offline   Swiiitan Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: swiiitan
  • Main tag: wG*

Posted 13 October 2016 - 04:43 PM

I think that having a grappling hook like in Lawbreakers could be really cool, but maybe as an pickup on the map (as in Battlefield games for certain strong weapons).
Then there wouldnt be a spam of grappling hooks around, and The mapmaker could decide himself If and how many hookspawns He wanna Place on his map.
Ingame: Swiiitan
Clan: **Saft

#18 User is offline   Ikslorin Icon

•   verified user   
  • Account: ikslorin

Posted 13 October 2016 - 10:11 PM

Spawning them around the map seems like a possible compromise?

The question would be, exactly how much used they'd get except possibly on maps like Uptown. But I wouldn't be surprised, that if it was a gearitem or secondary weapon, then the meta could on one or more maps shift so heavily, that it's pretty much a requirement to pick when playing on them.

This post has been edited by Ikslorin: 14 October 2016 - 08:00 AM

YouTube: youtube.com/ikslorin -|- Tweet, tweet: @ikslorin
Email: ikslorin[at]gmail[dot]com -|- Twitch: twitch.tv/ikslorin

#19 User is offline   karnute Icon

•   community dev   
  • Account: karnute

Posted 14 October 2016 - 12:25 AM

View PostIkslorin, on 13 October 2016 - 10:11 PM, said:

Spawning them around the map seems like a very nice compromise.

The question would be, exactly how much used they'd get except possibly on maps like Uptown. But I wouldn't be surprised, that if it was a gearitem or secondary weapon, then the meta could on one or more maps shift so heavily, that it's pretty much a requirement to pick when playing on them.

The grappling hook could be an objective item in FFA games. So the unique way to have it is to kill the owner. At map start it appears in a random place. It gives advantage to the owner, but at the same time it makes him the objective of the other players, maybe the position of the grappling hook could be always marked in the minimap. Give points for time having the item to decide the winner.

#20 User is offline   Magister Icon

• Account: magister

Posted 14 October 2016 - 12:38 AM

About the proposed introduction of an offhand grapple by spawning it as a gettable item some place on the level, has Urban Terror ever had Powerup Items before?

This reminds me of classic arcade quake which had several powerup items that would spawn like yellow and red armor, runes, ammo boxes, etc. Remember how those locations became strategic points and it would change the map dynamics?

The introduction of Powerup Items really needs to be thought about for reasons even beyond this one specific example of an offhand grapple that's gettable from a map location.

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942