Advertisement
  • (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Sup mappers, I'm just curious. Rate Topic: -----

#1 Guest_KanNabiS

Posted 11 July 2005 - 09:15 PM

So does the latest news from SID affect you guys?

What are your thoughts?

#2 Guest_=BAND=Squad Leader

Posted 12 July 2005 - 02:37 AM

I've been totally awol for a while now, so I'm not quite sure, but as I understand it, there isn't a huge change. I'm sure SID (FS?) will give us more information before the release.

My guess would be that MX will be focused on more terrain based, large maps, to accomodate vehicles, for example, sands/riyadh type maps. I'm pretty sure that there will also be maps like what are in ut now such as abbey or casa.

#3 Guest_KanNabiS

Posted 12 July 2005 - 02:39 AM

Thats what I was thinking. If they didn't put vehicles on any of the maps that currently exist it wouldn't break my heart. But with all new maps for the vehicles and still have our traditional urt gameplay this could be a diamond in the rough.

#4 User is offline   Shminkyboy Icon

•   former FS member   
    Mapper
  • Account: shminkyboy

Posted 12 July 2005 - 03:52 AM

My reaction?

OMG ut:mx is gonna be fooking COOOL.

considering that

a) there's the ET stuff that wasn't available to q3. (ET's terrain/skybox/fog stuff isn't really native q3a, ydnar only hacked some of it in for q3a when he did the ET-era versions of q3map2)

b) animated models==as many "func_trains" (so to speak) as you want. this in itself is huge. we can only have 1 func_train now.

c) physics! vehicles RAWK!

d) better lighting. plus who knows what seckiness they added to the code. they can do alot more with ET now, you know. they couldn't really do as much with q3a codewise. (having close relations with ID software AND Splash Damage isn't the same as mom handing out cookies to the kids on the block you know)

I get to play with stuff that was just not doable in base q3a is what it sounds like, can't wait to see it!

mostly i would say the biggest change would be in how a mapper visualizes the level, ie- do i want a small fast urt level or a bigger level with vehicles? do i want a tdm/ctf level? a bomb level? or a nice old school Survivor level? yeah, I'd call "mode specific maps" a HUGE change, right now its "one map plays all" which kinda doesnt work, there's not many levels out there that are well suited for all modes, they're usually good for ctf and shit for ts or vice/versa with bomb ftl and c&h being the afterthoughts. (imo ftl cah and bomb ALL would have done much better if there were maps specificly made for them, and there simply wasn't, at least in the 3rd party scene, everyone built maps for ts or ctf and shoehorned the other modes in. i'm not suprised those modes never did well because of it.)

imo there were at least 2 SID levels that were released before their time, and paid for it by not being as popular on the servers as either one of them could have been.

revolution (an objective game mode level in a game with no objective gamemodes when it was released!)

sands (a vehicle freindly level with no vehicles when it was released!)

both of those levels would have prolly done well in their originally concieved forms, had they been new with the release of urt:mx, rather than released when they were on q3ut, considering that bomb mode and vehicles will now prolly exist in the same game :P

GG SID/FS!!!! (yeah for once it's not sarcasm either)

#5 Guest_KanNabiS

Posted 12 July 2005 - 12:10 PM

The thought of a ut_sands2 with vehicles just makes me salivate... :lol:

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   rednex Icon

• Account: rednex
  • Main tag: [Laus]

Posted 13 July 2005 - 10:12 PM

imo there were at least 2 SID levels that were released before their time, and paid for it by not being as popular on the servers as either one of them could have been.

revolution (an objective game mode level in a game with no objective gamemodes when it was released!)

Actually I remember we used to play those maps a lot back in the 2.0-2.3 days. I'm not sure why we quit, but I think it's a combination of fewer players (especially on Sands) and quite a few changes to gameplay, weapons and the maps themselves. But we sure did have a lot of fun :)

#7 User is offline   Tacro (old) Icon

• LocationPortugal

Posted 14 July 2005 - 04:21 AM

Actually I remember we used to play those maps a lot back in the 2.0-2.3 days. I'm not sure why we quit, but I think it's a combination of fewer players (especially on Sands) and quite a few changes to gameplay, weapons and the maps themselves. But we sure did have a lot of fun :)

The problem is now days players only play 3/4 maps... in TS for example... we have Casa, TurnPike, Abbey2 and Uptown. If they see a map sligtly larger they freak out... i remember playing Sands 2on2 back in beta 2.0-2.3 and everybody was having a blast. Can you imagine Sands in a 2on2 now days? I can't because it won't happen.

Anyway, a map i think that has a good combination for TS/CTF/TDM and even bomb (the map doesn't have bomb) ut_alleys.

Sorry for the off-topic...

#8 Guest_KanNabiS

Posted 14 July 2005 - 10:50 PM

Yea but 2vs2 on sands with jeeps... :twisted: :idea: Now we're talkin! :D/

#9 User is offline   |NV|S (old) Icon

• LocationSanta Clarita, CA

Posted 16 July 2005 - 06:33 PM

/me dusts off ut_Pointblank

#10 User is offline   Shminkyboy Icon

•   former FS member   
    Mapper
  • Account: shminkyboy

Posted 17 July 2005 - 02:24 AM

o/

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942