• +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

What GFXcard is best?

#1 Guest__iCeCold_

Posted 04 May 2004 - 11:59 PM

Hiya guys! :)

I played UT for 3 months now, I used to play CS before that (I like UT allot more tho). I want to play with better resolution, however. I have a old GeForce4 MX440 card which is only 64 mb. I want to buy a new card with at least 256 MB, and I have about 110 euros for it (maybe 10 more). I may buy the Radeon 9600 256 MB, but I also saw Radeon 9200 and GeForce FX5200 for about the same price (but also cheaper! :)).

What do u guys think, should I buy one of these cards?? or maybe another?

I have one more question too...I saw there`s for instance a Sapphire Radeon 9600 256MB and a Club3D Radeon 9600 256MB? what`s the difference??

I hope you can help me with taking the choise! ;)

_No Where To Run_
_iCeCold_

#2 User is offline   mrp (old) Icon

• Locationuk

Posted 05 May 2004 - 12:33 AM

I have one more question too...I saw there`s for instance a Sapphire Radeon 9600 256MB and a Club3D Radeon 9600 256MB? what`s the difference??

I hope you can help me with taking the choise! ;)

_No Where To Run_
_iCeCold_

Different companies taking advantage of the same chipset .. the speeds of each shouldn't greatly vary.. altho u might b better off paying that bit extra for the 9600XT if u decide that card ;x

tho personally im no expert :mrgreen:

#3 User is offline   Muffie Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: muffie

Posted 05 May 2004 - 01:10 AM

Go for a chaintech geforce fx5700 about 150 american dollars i'd buy one but my mobo doesnt support 4x or 8x agp, grrr i can't wait to buy my new setup.

#4 Guest_[PoD]Addicted

Posted 05 May 2004 - 01:23 AM

While the Radeon Family performs better over all than the current GF FX offerings with newer games.

The GF FX 5700 Ultra Performs better on Quake 3 , and therefore I felt I should get it for Urban Terror.

http://www6.tomshard...-charts-06.html

I can easily get 200 FPS most of the time if I wish, If I cap at 125 FPS it is steady on almost all maps, with the exception of Laneway2.

For best performance I uncapped it and just let it do its own thing and I am happy. So I see it go up to the 300s on Turnpike !

Great little card and it does not cost that much. Probably 150 US by now.

#5 User is offline   audioaxes (old) Icon

Posted 05 May 2004 - 04:24 AM

the memory size isnt the only factor in a card dude

256 MB in a 100euro [not exactly sure how much that translates to US$] card aint gonna do nothin; the bandwidth, pipes, and clock speeds of a card in that range will bottleneck that extra memory obsolete

a 128MB card would do just fine, however my knowledge is pretty limited in this price range so i cannot give the best specific suggestion

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   Oswald (old) Icon

• LocationWishin' I was in SoCal

Posted 06 May 2004 - 08:25 AM

anything that does not have the letters A-T-I on it.

#7 User is offline   mrp (old) Icon

• Locationuk

Posted 06 May 2004 - 01:29 PM

still looking for that nvidia sponsorship? :o

#8 Guest_Annihilator

Posted 07 May 2004 - 01:34 AM

Oswald and his anti-ati policies. I used to be a big nvidia guy but ever since I've gotten this ati 9700 pro my thoughts have changed. It's a pretty smooth card.

#9 User is offline   rashly (old) Icon

• Locationlong island

Posted 07 May 2004 - 03:49 AM

lol, the alternative is better with static clipping planes, brilinear filtering, lowered precision (fx12 or fp16 when the app asks for full precision), sub par ps20 performance (compared to ati), high noise, high power requirements, crappy aa, and lieing pr reps?

man, please. the only things the last generation nvidia gpus had over ati were linux support, 3d glasses support, and af quality (not performance). thank god the nv40 is closer to the r420 than the nv3x was to the r3x0 so we could start to see some competition.

put fanboyism aside when recommending a purchase.

#10 User is offline   L3mMinG (old) Icon

Posted 07 May 2004 - 08:17 PM

If you only got that much money to spare I would go for an fx5700 something. The ati cards generally perform better and nicer for directX but on most benchmarks the nvidia's come out way better for quake3's engine (openGL).

I got a geforce3ti200 and capped at 85 it doesn't drop below this almost ever, this is a different story in Enemy Territory, but oswald is probably right to play urban terror, ati is not ideal. The skybox is a bit messy and what it gains in 'niceness' will just go to waist as you're chasing through the maps mostly looking at your crosshair.

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942