• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

What GFXcard is best?

#31 User is offline   Nadebait (old) Icon

Posted 19 May 2004 - 12:56 PM

Late reply, but both the msi and albatron 5700 ultras are good choices for a fast and high res quake3 for 140-200 american. I'd steer clear of an ati 9800 unless you got a good deal for it.

#32 User is offline   Mr. Rifleman (old) Icon

• LocationMonroeville, PA

Posted 19 May 2004 - 03:56 PM

threads like this are pointless. you'll have the ati fans say one thing, the nvidia boys will say the other. the simple fact is this. if you're playing UrT, any newer graphics card will do just fine. i run a gf4 ti4200 on a barton2800+ system and everything is more than peachy. sure, the nvidia card might be scoring a bit higher on q3 benchmarks, but you WILL NOT notice a diffrence between 175 and 200 fps. you just won't. it's nice to see that big number on your FPS counter, but in real world, doesn't matter. look into things such as power requirements and price. better yet, hold of another month or two, cuz the prices of these current generation cards will be going down with the release of ati and nvidias new toys.

#33 User is offline   Goofus Maximus (old) Icon

• LocationSt. Louis area

Posted 19 May 2004 - 04:39 PM

Yes! Stay AWAY from the 5600 or the (even worse) 5200.

The lowest ATI card to get is the 9600, and the lowest nvidia card to be considered is the 5700 Ultra, and it's not worth the price, when you can get a 5900XT card for just a few dollars more.

Drivers aren't much of an issue any more. ATI has improved their drivers no end, and nvidia drivers have taken a nosedive, quality-wise, since they started putting in that crazy compiling driver tech in them.

I'm aware that there are better cards than I have, but I'm happy with my 5900XT card, since I got it with the CoD bundle, which meant I got a card that performs on better (speed-wise) than the 9600, for the equivalent of 140 US dollars.

Nonetheless, ATI is on top with image quality, this round.

#34 User is offline   rashly (old) Icon

• Locationlong island

Posted 19 May 2004 - 07:54 PM

[quote name='"Mr. Rifleman"]threads like this are pointless. you'll have the ati fans say one thing' date=' the nvidia boys will say the other. the simple fact is this. if you're playing UrT, any newer graphics card will do just fine. i run a gf4 ti4200 on a barton2800+ system and everything is more than peachy. sure, the nvidia card might be scoring a bit higher on q3 benchmarks, but you WILL NOT notice a diffrence between 175 and 200 fps. you just won't. it's nice to see that big number on your FPS counter, but in real world, doesn't matter. look into things such as power requirements and price. better yet, hold of another month or two, cuz the prices of these current generation cards will be going down with the release of ati and nvidias new toys.[/quote']
what about the people who dont show fanboyism towards one or the other? yes, who cares about q3 indeed. but, the persons money would be better spent on a card that can play q3 with the best visuals and be able to run the new games best.
[quote]The lowest ATI card to get is the 9600, and the lowest nvidia card to be considered is the 5700 Ultra, and it's not worth the price, when you can get a 5900XT card for just a few dollars more. [/quote]
the 9500pro > 9600xt. change that to 9500pro (stay away from non pro) and up.

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942