Urban Terror Forums: Some maps have FPS issues, don't worry... - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
  • (23 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Some maps have FPS issues, don't worry...

#1 User is offline   L3mMinG (old) Icon

Posted 04 April 2007 - 10:31 AM

Ok, after a lot of crap, I dug a little deeper and found why my FPS went from super to crap with no apparent reason. Here is an example of a spot in 4.0 that litterally cut my fps in half. Top screenshot is from UT 3.7, the lower from 4.0, notice the fps drop from 222 to 117 on an empty map.

Posted Image

Posted Image

It's not like the extra few little details on the 4.0 version could cause a massive fps drop like that on an empty map even if the shots are made using a geforce3 on an athlon 2500+ with only 512 MB of memory.

So what to do... use developper mode intended for debugging maybe ? If you run a map in devmap you can use a cvar r_showtris to show the complete wireframe of what your 3D card or the quake3 engine is actually rendering. I don't know the technicalities exactly, but this seems the only explenation for the massive FPS drop. Top screen shows the wireframe of what the 3.7 version is rendering and hang on to your seat for the 4.0 version....

Posted Image

Posted Image

I don't know why the difference since the architecture looks the same, I don't know how to fix it, I just know this is why FPS are complete crap and get exponentially worse when the hidden view also contains particles, models, bullets etc.

I really hope it can be fixed before the cup, cause when comparing uptown in both versions, the 4.0 version seems to constantly draw the whole map if the wireframe is anything to go by while the 3.7 gradually exposes parts of the map you can nearly see. Got a low FPS map in 4.0 ? start it with devmap, turn on r_showtris 1 and see if large parts of the map you couldn't ever see from where you are standing get drawn in the wireframe. If this is the case, stop tweaking your gfx drivers as it will not help...

Greets

PS some maps get a lot better fps with picmip 1 (or 2 for video cards with less then 128 meg, noticable on ut4_tombs) or r_ext_compressed_textures 1 (very noticable for me on ut4_elgin). Note that those settings probably only help on maps that don't have the vis problem (so not turnpike or uptown) and they fix low fps in general and not so much drops when a lot is going on.

#2 User is offline   Avocadoo (old) Icon

• LocationHungary

Posted 04 April 2007 - 10:37 AM

I dont understand why show for us the outsinde only on second pic? Pls send again the second pic witout outside. It isn't fair fisrt and second pics but i think why posted second pic with outside, because nothing different betwen first and second pics, but nice try... (other: if the second pic is more complex, why dont looks better?)

#3 User is offline   L3mMinG (old) Icon

Posted 04 April 2007 - 10:44 AM

no it's not fair to my 3D card either :)

#4 User is offline   dborg (old) Icon

• LocationGermany

Posted 04 April 2007 - 10:45 AM

When I have FPS drops, I noticed they drop whenever I look roughly towards the center of the map (basically all the time), even if my extended area is completely quite. So I also expected some vis problems already, maybe there really is something wrong with the compiles?

#5 User is offline   Avocadoo (old) Icon

• LocationHungary

Posted 04 April 2007 - 10:46 AM

no it's not fair to my 3D card either :)

Show for us the second pic without outside lines! Can u do this?  :x :?

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   L3mMinG (old) Icon

Posted 04 April 2007 - 10:49 AM

Avocadoo, no I can't, that's the whole point lol

#7 User is offline   Woekele Icon

•   former FS member   
    Public Relations
  • Account: woekele

Posted 04 April 2007 - 10:52 AM

Avocadoo, the first 2 pics are the same as the 2nd 2 pics, except wit the lines (showtris) added.

#8 User is offline   Avocadoo (old) Icon

• LocationHungary

Posted 04 April 2007 - 10:55 AM

Your first post with 2nd pic isnt fair... But u try... Thx...  :-P

#9 User is offline   Woekele Icon

•   former FS member   
    Public Relations
  • Account: woekele

Posted 04 April 2007 - 10:57 AM

Dude, you just don't get it. It's perfectly fair. Same spot. One in 4.0, one in 3.7 and both with showtris.

#10 User is offline   s.e.t.i. Icon

•   former FS member   
    Engine Developer
  • Account: seti

Posted 04 April 2007 - 11:02 AM

ok woekele, so by this lemming is stating (and backing up with his showtris pics) that 4.0 is rendering areas of the map that are not in the current view?

• (23 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942