Urban Terror Forums: Two little things I'm missing (radio and crosshair) - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
  • (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Two little things I'm missing (radio and crosshair)

#21 User is offline   Spacebar (old) Icon

Posted 18 June 2007 - 07:19 PM

Years ago when Quake2 went GPL, i was making(one other person on this team) a standalone multi player game, in our game we programmed the crosshairs so with a cvar could enable 'color inversion' (im not sure the technical term or the openGL blend mode, since im only a mapper/skinner/2/3d artist).

Basically this would allow you to use ANY crosshair, but it would automatically separately shift each pixel of the crosshairs color (greyscale) to the OPPOSITE color you put it on.

The reason for this was our game had a lot of real contrasty lighting, thus making it so your crosshair could go from a real dark area, to a REAL bright highlight coming from a light fixtures corona. Therefor when you looked at SOLID white it became black, but if you looked at black it became white. This system worked 100% perfect, because for it to fail you would need PERFECT RGB values of 128 128 128 (absolutely middle grey) wich rarely happens in any game.

This also allowed you to use large, small, or odd shaped crosshairs as they would always be visible regardless of resolution and hardware. So we used this setting as the default for all, but could be turned off in the options, or console.

IMO also, a HEXAGONAL crosshair would also be a great addition due to the way the brain naturally centers geometric shapes.
Read here:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HexSite
:-D

#22 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

• Account: mitsubishi

Posted 18 June 2007 - 07:21 PM

how is that better than a circle.

#23 User is offline   PatientZero (old) Icon

Posted 18 June 2007 - 07:24 PM

A color-inverted crosshair would be awesome. There are still a few maps that I play with NVG simply to make the crosshair always-visible. I've tried many colors and crosshairs, and while the + one is most visible, it also obscures the target too much at a distance. Thus, I've settled on the circle with a dot in the center. The problem is that to make it small enough to be useful, the line is too thin (1 pixel) and disappears on a lot of maps due to my stellar vision.

#24 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

Posted 18 June 2007 - 07:51 PM

i use a dot, a few pixels, yellow or something. it's hard to find a color, no, there's no color that won't be found on a map so i think that other idea about dual colors or dynamic colors is quite good.

#25 User is offline   Spacebar (old) Icon

Posted 18 June 2007 - 07:53 PM

Angular shapes like the hexagon are much more easy for the brain to center QUICKLY due to it being made of two triangles.

At first i too thought, "thats retarded why not just use a normal circular ghost aperature?"
(this being on a real life firearm).
The concept should be the same for URT, im gonna make my own .pk3 and test it out on a non pure server.
My idea is that you could have a hexagonal outer with NO dot in the center, thus making long range shots more visible and precise than just an empty circle.

Yea the inverted crosshair colors is almost fool proof, 99.9999% of the time you wont see a perfect grey blob of color, mabey in smoke, but then you are not supposed to see in smoke any ways.

F1!! for inverted crosshair colors!!!
:-D

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#26 User is offline   MerkyMerc Icon

•   verified donor   
  • Account: merkymerc

Posted 18 June 2007 - 08:11 PM

F1! I use the pixel dot, red. I hate it when it looks even smaller than it already is when pointing at certain textures. I know  :roll: , I could pay more attention by allowing the gun itself to help guide me, but this idea of inverting crosshair colors would be GREAT. I could then turn the gun off to open my FOV some more.

EDIT:
oh yeah, I was going to make my own crosshair before. I got lost quickly by trying to analyze the default crosshairs in UrTs main pk3 file. It's much different from when I've made crosshairs for baseQ3. Have you had any success with making your own for UrT 4.0, Spacebar? If so, would you mind helpin a bruthah out?  :-D

#27 User is offline   PatientZero (old) Icon

Posted 18 June 2007 - 11:51 PM

I tried removing the gun for a while myself, partly for more viewable area but honestly to remove the muzzleflash from my view. Wow, what a difference that made. I couldn't hit anything at first. I never realized how much I ignore the crosshair and use just the gun to sight targets! I ended up leaving it visible as the muzzleflash hurts less than not having the gun . . . and I use the silencer when not using NVG anyway.

#28 User is offline   dborg (old) Icon

• LocationGermany

Posted 19 June 2007 - 12:52 AM

Yeah, but you'll become better once you learn actually using your crosshair. :) It also means being forced to pick a good one of course... For a while I had the philosophy that it's fine to let my weapon guide my aiming on close range, when my crosshair would be better for long range duels in turn. But that's not really true.

The inverted crosshair didn't work too well for me in the past IIRC (can't remember which game had it implemented). My ideal crosshair would still be a simple coloured dot with a black outline.

#29 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

Posted 19 June 2007 - 11:46 AM

i never used the gun in urt unless for a month or so.

#30 User is offline   Tidus Icon

•   verified user   
  • Account: tidus

Posted 29 June 2007 - 02:38 PM

Wouldn't mind seeing some crosshairs with black outline for 4.1, they are much better than "normal" crosshairs. I really like the ones of cpma for instance.

i.e

Posted Image

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942