• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Stronger Than All League: New Season Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   dborg (old) Icon

• LocationGermany

Posted 26 May 2007 - 02:03 PM

Mandatory demo recording and reviewing on request?

That has always been more effective than Punkbuster ever was anyway. PB/BE is needed for public play, but not so much for competition (aside from GUIDs). A "serious" cheater is likely to own a private cheat anyway, which is often impossible to detect by anticheating tools.

#12 User is offline   FragginNewby (old) Icon

• LocationKilladelphia, PA

Posted 26 May 2007 - 02:23 PM

Mandatory demo recording and reviewing on request?

STA already has that in the league rules, even while PB was in use.  Cheaters will get a foot placed so far up their ass that they taste shoe leather for a lifetime... which means they cannot sit down to play in the league and are PERMA-BANNED from Competition.

I've never understood cheating in a video game anyway... how lame and insecure can you get, anyway??

#13 User is offline   Phantomas71 Icon

• Account: phantomas71

Posted 26 May 2007 - 02:28 PM

...and if you have read what i've read on a so called website, you will be more pissed off...  :x

#14 User is offline   FragginNewby (old) Icon

Posted 26 May 2007 - 02:31 PM

...and if you have read what i've read on a so called website, you will be more pissed off...  :x

hrm, I doubt it... I know their are already cheats out there, just something that leagues are stuck with addressing.  would be nice to see an anti-cheat from FS or BE actually updated to be functional, but we know there's nothing that can be done about that here. :roll:

#15 User is offline   Phantomas71 Icon

Posted 26 May 2007 - 02:33 PM

yep,
i was referring to some replies i've read in that so called website forum.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#16 User is offline   Woekele Icon

•   former FS member   
    Public Relations
  • Account: woekele

Posted 26 May 2007 - 03:57 PM

hrm, I doubt it... I know their are already cheats out there, just something that leagues are stuck with addressing.  would be nice to see an anti-cheat from FS or BE actually updated to be functional, but we know there's nothing that can be done about that here. :roll:

Something can be done if someone would put in a big bag of money, I'm sure :)

#17 User is offline   FragginNewby (old) Icon

Posted 26 May 2007 - 04:46 PM

Something can be done if someone would put in a big bag of money, I'm sure :)

You mean a different bag of money than the one that FS used to have 4.0 made?  That *is* how 4.0 was made and released right?  LOL... plz.  Weak argument.

I just think it irresponsible to say "Here's the game, cheaters are your problem."  At least STA is making the move to the Standalone version, but since the game has been out less than 2 months and the cheats are already filtering through the community, it's a task for anyone to monitor these things... and do you realize that the STA Admins don't get paid, either?  Or is it just like the cheating and you really don't give a sh!t how others deal with it because it isn't your problem? 

I think I should put you on ignore in the forums.

#18 User is offline   Woekele Icon

•   former FS member   
    Public Relations
  • Account: woekele

Posted 27 May 2007 - 03:57 PM

Irresponsible to not provide a full anti-cheat...

My god... seriously.

You mean a different bag of money than the one that FS used to have 4.0 made?  That *is* how 4.0 was made and released right?  LOL... plz.  Weak argument.

I just think it irresponsible to say "Here's the game, cheaters are your problem."

The point you are trying to make in the first sentence (comparing creation of anti-cheat to creation of UrT 4.0) doesn't make sense. Let me tell you why...

4.0 was made by the last few people that were still motivated enough and at least somewhat enthousiastic about trying to create a cool free game. On their own time, for free. These great people all did their part (coding/mapping/animating/modelling/skinning...) to create the game, Urban Terror.

It was decided to make it possible (yes possible, NOT forced) to play without Quake3, which would also mean no anti-cheat, unless somebody(s) was gonna make it. However, being able to get more new players in seemed worth that 'sacrifice' and people who thought it wasn't worth that, could stick with Q3.

Making an anti-cheat is not something easy that anyone can do. Only a very experienced coder could and even for such a person, it takes a LOT of work. Not just a little LOT of work, but a LOT LOT of work. Something we could not expect or demand TwentySeven to do, not even close.

Anti-cheat is an ongoing thing, something that needs support and updates regularly, again something you cannot expect from 27. I don't know if you have noticed, but every game out there with anti-cheat has an external anti-cheat system that is created and maintained by paid employees. For example: Evenbalance (punkbuster) has many paid employees to create it, same goes for VAC.

FS makes a game, not an anti-cheat.

About it being irresponsible:

If you you are too scared about cheats, use quake3 (and PB) to play UrT on. Nobody took away that option. We just provided the OPTION to play without Q3. Of course, many people don't have q3 and it's almost impossible to buy in many parts of the world, so you won't have many people to play with, but yah, there won't be cheats! (or actually there will, cause even PB isn't perfect)

There used to be many leagues/cups/ladders before PB even excisted and it worked fine. Even when cheats already excisted. But ye, how irresponsible!

Anyway, I also thought that having an anti-cheat would be cool, so I have actively searched for making anti-cheat for ioUrT possible and found the great guy from BattlEye willing to do it. But of course, instead of being thankful about it to him, people get impatient and demand stuff to happen faster. Yeah...

To summarize why I think your comment doesn't make ANY sense:
-Just because UrT 4.0 was made for free, doesn't mean anti-cheat can also be made for free easily.
-However, we did try to make it happen through BattlEye, which is still being developed.
-It has been proven in the past that leagues/ladders/cups are perfectly possible without anti-cheat.
-But if you want, you can stick with Quake3 and PB...

At least STA is making the move to the Standalone version, but since the game has been out less than 2 months and the cheats are already filtering through the community, it's a task for anyone to monitor these things... and do you realize that the STA Admins don't get paid, either?  Or is it just like the cheating and you really don't give a sh!t how others deal with it because it isn't your problem?

Yeah, STA ftw, great move. Great respect for the guys/girls for not being scared away by cheats. Yeah, I realise they don't get paid either, which is why I hope the community will be responsible enough and that they will get enough help to make sure they won't get swamped in having to review 10 demo's for every match. It has been done in the past, it can be done again, if just everyone does their part.

I think I should put you on ignore in the forums.

You won't have to. I'll be gone soon.

#19 User is offline   Phantomas71 Icon

Posted 27 May 2007 - 05:07 PM

FS specified clearly many weeks before the release that somebody else
had to develop an anticheat for ioUrT.
After the 4.0 releases, time expectation to find somebody was
reduced drastically by the coming of Battleye staff...that was a great and nice surprise.

For now and for few, ioUrT is 'naked', but STA stuff got enough experience to manage a season.

Cheaters of course will never understand that they are the biggest losers ever in multiplay games.

#20 User is offline   s.e.t.i. Icon

•   former FS member   
    Engine Developer
  • Account: seti

Posted 27 May 2007 - 09:46 PM

OMG... Fraggin' Newby ... maybe you should think before you go posting while you're drunk. :x :x :x :? :-o

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored link
https://www.frozensand.com/

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942