• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

call votes and kicking

#1 User is offline   salees frawg (old) Icon

Posted 02 June 2007 - 03:15 AM

Hiya, great work with Urban Terror!

Some may remember me as cisum or [TLB]cisum from back in the day. Yes, I was here when we were all running 'round MBase and Hotel with with UMPs back in 1.27. I cut out around 3.something I think, when things became very hard to hit, too much sniper wars, bored, needed a change.

I re-found this game with the release of 4.0 after years of dropping off the map. I've been playing an hour or two a day and I have to say it's pretty rocking right now. The guns and hit-zones are pretty much on the money (though I would still say snipers shouldn't have scopes while jumping, running). Feels like an early 2.# version to me, though you might argue :)

...to get to my point. There seems to be some things still going on which I found to be the bane of public servers back then too. The same deal for years. I'm not sure if it's because nothing can be done or nothing is chosen to be done. Perhaps server admins do not run correct configs.

* calling votes to kick a player...this is still out to lunch it seems. When you vote kick someone they come right back... I have to ask what is the point? Is this servers not set up right or is this how it works? And if this is how it works...why bother? It goes like this...asshat gets voted off, asshat rejoins...continue.

* auto-kick TK asshats...same as above. The half-wit is auto-kicked and rejoins. Kinda like bailing out a boat that keeps filling with the same water every time you toss it out. Makes people look for a better boat.

This game seems to attract a high percentage of dim bulbs in the pubs. It makes it a mess. I know of clan servers and such, but those are inside affairs. Perhaps something can be done to keep fuctards voted off from rejoining pubs?

One thing that might help is for servers to auto kick (for real and good) any one who has a negative score.
I'd also like to see dill-slappers with negative score not be allowed to start votes. They are clearly fuct if they are in the negatives and voting just to kick other players. You've seen the twits I'm sure.

Some how I think this might all be in there and not set up correct on server configs. Can anything be done to help this?

Much love for your good work.

cisum/salees frawg
(i do not map anymore. no updates coming.)

#2 User is offline   AKGRIZZLY (old) Icon

• LocationAlaska

Posted 02 June 2007 - 06:56 AM

Well I think part of the problem is that if a successful kickvote resulted in a ban, it would get abused by the same fuctards.  While it doesn't, we have the problems you described above, but I think it is better like it is rather than change it.  Part of the deal comes down to server admins who can't always be there like a fkn crossing guard to keep the little $h1theels in line.  So they get extra people they can trust to help out but a lot of times the secondary admins don't necessarily have the same approach to policing the game as the main dude.  That just frustrates regular players who want consistency for whatever reason.  Another thing is that a pub can be locked down pretty tight by a dilligent server admin.  Short of policing the game 24/7 there isn't much for it.  Some places kick people for chat spamming, but they don't enable the floodprotection, lol wtf?

The bottom line is that the only way for you to ensure the environment is run how you feel it ought to be run is to become a server admin and do it.  In this manner you get a little taste of the flip-side, try keeping people happy for few weeks, it isn't easy.  Look around at some threads around here, make the right little vandal mad and he'll just start bombing your connection with data or worse even.  These problems are waaay bigger than urban terror, it's the human race that has allowed modern medical science to thwart natural selection, thereby allowing people who are too stupid to live, to actually go as far as to pro-create where the system would normally see to it they met a nice, fitting, and early end.

Look it's not just urban terror that has this problem, I've seen on basically every online multiplayer game I've ever tried.  Even playing texas holdem online, you always find a fkn mouth who won't shut up and does stupid things in-game that make the whole round suck for everyone.  It's up to the people to generate a decent game environment and protect it from the fuctards that should have drowned to death in the toilet by accident somewhere mid-toddlerhood. 

The game is fine, don't fix it.

Oh yea, welcome back!11!onE!~~`~1!  We knew you'd be back.  :lol: :lol: :lol:

#3 User is offline   Woekele Icon

•   former FS member   
    Public Relations
  • Account: woekele

Posted 02 June 2007 - 10:50 AM

Ye, there is cvars called g_ClientReconnectMin and sv_reconnectlimit. We could try if these work and how exactly...

If they don't, it might be nice to by default let a kick be a 10 minutes ban or something, though I wonder how hard it is to code that in.

#4 User is offline   dborg (old) Icon

• LocationGermany

Posted 02 June 2007 - 01:32 PM

I disagree Grizzly, it's clearly not fine. :) I think autokicks and votekicks should result in a one or two minutes ban to give the offender time to ponder... And to make sure that kicking someone doesn't take longer than for him to reconnect, because that's silly. And maybe five minutes in case of a manual ban, but that might be annoying in case of mistakes.

I think pb kicks worked like this.

#5 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

• Account: mitsubishi

Posted 02 June 2007 - 08:18 PM

yeah,  but don't do it on 2 frag limit because I've seen in some 99 player servers to not be so serious getting a tk or two.

on 2 or 3 kick, on 4 ban(probably in a time limit of say 10 mins), I'd personally have it kick from 4 and more. most 'two's are accidental.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   AKGRIZZLY (old) Icon

• LocationAlaska

Posted 03 June 2007 - 08:00 AM

I disagree Grizzly, it's clearly not fine. :) I think autokicks and votekicks should result in a one or two minutes ban to give the offender time to ponder... And to make sure that kicking someone doesn't take longer than for him to reconnect, because that's silly. And maybe five minutes in case of a manual ban, but that might be annoying in case of mistakes.

I think pb kicks worked like this.

I could see a few minutes of "go to teh corner" time I guess.  I still say a determined fuctard will always find a way.

#7 User is offline   audioaxes (old) Icon

Posted 06 June 2007 - 01:26 AM

its fine how it is let admins be the one to temporarily or permanently ban players
90% of kick votings is for unjustified reasons from crying noobs

#8 User is offline   AKGRIZZLY (old) Icon

• LocationAlaska

Posted 06 June 2007 - 01:34 AM

its fine how it is let admins be the one to temporarily or permanently ban players
90% of kick votings is for unjustified reasons from crying noobs

At least 90%, the very least.  :roll:

#9 User is offline   Kendle Icon

•   verified user   
    www.urban-zone.org
  • Account: kendle

Posted 06 June 2007 - 08:23 AM

I was subject to a vote-kick the other day (apparently I must've been cheating as I was 14 kills for 1 death on a Bomb server). I was so proud! You know when you're finally starting to get decent at a game when people accuse you of cheating!!

Totally off-topic of course, but it made me feel all warm and fluffy inside, thought I'd share that with you :)

(tho of course on-topic if you made vote-kicks result in bans you'd have the problem mentioned above, asshats would use it to remove players better than themselves from servers)

#10 User is offline   wastedscal (old) Icon

Posted 06 June 2007 - 09:45 AM

Indeed, this is exactly what I've been thinking of when seeing the idea of a 10 or alike minutes ban after a callvote to kick a player. It happens (often?) that some people call votes kick for no obvious reason; just because they either get frustrated or think you are cheating in someway.
People would callvote a kick on someone who hasn't done shit and this kicked person, if most players on the server falls into the 'he hack', would then be banned for this amount of time? Ridiculous.
Now I do understand the 'problem' as for assholes being able to join back when it's only for ruining the game, but any feature can be turned against behaving people because of some player's mentality.

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942