Urban Terror Forums: Are 3rd party mappers going to be relied on more bc of no more releases past 4.1 - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
  • (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Are 3rd party mappers going to be relied on more bc of no more releases past 4.1

#11 User is offline   dborg (old) Icon

• LocationGermany

Posted 13 June 2007 - 08:06 PM

Just make sure the gameplay kicks arse and it runs on Linux. ;)

As for Urban Terror, I'm not worried. The greatest custom maps have all become more or less popular in the past, so it's not as bad as some are saying. I'm sure the community will be able to help itself for some more years. I don't see it dying anytime soon, until there is something that is really worthy of being its successor.

#12 User is offline   jolivierld (old) Icon

Posted 17 June 2007 - 06:22 PM

Whatever happens, I will continue to frag ass if there are players and low pings.

I mean. UrT is the greatest q3a mod (if not the greatest mod of all times) and has survived for all these years. The art, the maps, everything is TOP NOTCH. The outcome is a well-balanced, fun, challenging game. All of that for free.

ROCK ON, FS.

#13 User is offline   Vaughan (old) Icon

• LocationPacific Northwest

Posted 18 June 2007 - 12:08 AM

If Frozen Sand comes out with a game in the same style I'd be happy. Fast, skill-biased, FPS. I never became a top player but had a lot of fun even losing. Hrm, I wonder if you can snipe with bastard swords...... :evil:

#14 User is offline   Oswald (old) Icon

• LocationWishin' I was in SoCal

Posted 18 June 2007 - 04:49 AM

yup, well it would be nice to actually put together a true retail project. Will it happen? Eh, maybe. Many things need to fall into place for that to happen, this project, as long as it has been sustained has been interesting, but a retail project would require much more

#15 User is offline   Shminkyboy Icon

•   former FS member   
    Mapper
  • Account: shminkyboy

Posted 12 July 2007 - 05:20 AM

I want a scope on my crossbow.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#16 User is offline   Nexu Icon

•   clan leader   
  • Account: nexu
  • Main tag: |it|

Posted 12 July 2007 - 08:12 AM

I want a crossbow on my scope

#17 User is offline   Shminkyboy Icon

•   former FS member   
    Mapper

Posted 12 July 2007 - 10:18 AM

FWIW we just released 4.0 April 1st. Do you honestly think we would turn around and declare the game "dead"?

From my point of view, I read the comment 'no more releases past 4.1' to mean "we don't feel that there will be things that require fixing after 4.1".. like BK said, if something comes up it comes up.. but everyone feels the games solid now.. so it's not like in 2.x where there were games of musical coder to contend with (2.x saw the arrival and departure of at least 3 coders that I know of)... but it's been essentially the same coders since 3.x. They know their sh!t and work well together and keep the vision of how they want the game to play in sight and that's why 4.x plays super nice =)

And if you want my serious answer to this thread's question, it's actually a question:

Isn't it a wise choice to throw your support behind the third party guys for new maps for every new release of any game you think is good?

The game lasts longer because people don't get sick of the same old maps in rotation, and the 3rd party mapper sees their map on a a server with people in it that he didn't ask to go there to playtest. You don't realise how much of a rush it is to see people playing something you made as a community mapper, unless you are or have been a community mapper. So if you throw your support behind them, they'll have a reason to want to open the editor and make a map and give it to you, instead of everyone relying "on the next game patch" for a new map, and ignoring the 3rd party scene (which happened in 2.x). It's that simple.

Think about it:

There's actually quite a few new faces posting in the Level Design section of late, and also, A Wily Duck recently released a mapping installer package that makes setting up for mapping in Urban Terror 4.0 super easy... So an influx of interest in making a new Urban Terror map is certainly possible.. And that's not even counting the third party guys that have been around and still are around..

So if you give the third party guys a reason to want to continue  by visiting the level design forums and checking out whats there, and giving comments/feedback to them so they know what you want... and know that there's interest, and then actually asking the server admin of your favorite server to stock whatever map youre interested in that ends up getting released.. Then you've just broken the viscious circle of the "I'm sick of the same old maps!" syndrome now, haven't you?

I wouldn't worry about it. I don't =)

#18 User is offline   D33P_FRI3D|poop (old) Icon

• Locationeither at my pc or my gravitational device o(^_^)o

Posted 12 July 2007 - 07:44 PM

well if u dev team noobs :-D just kidding lmao if u very talented ppl make a new game can u make sure u can wall jump and circle jump thx :mrgreen: :evil: :evil: :oops: :-P :-P :x :lol: :? :-) :-D

#19 User is offline   Nexu Icon

•   clan leader   
  • Account: nexu
  • Main tag: |it|

Posted 12 July 2007 - 10:35 PM

Well i'm definitely wanting to make a map for 4.x with the intention for competition play  :lol:

#20 User is offline   Shminkyboy Icon

•   former FS member   
    Mapper

Posted 13 July 2007 - 12:34 AM

Here's a link to A Wily Duck's mapping kit: http://www.forums.ur...pic,8244.0.html

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942