Urban Terror Forums: Something about the SR8 is bothering me - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
  • (15 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Something about the SR8 is bothering me

#101 User is offline   dborg (old) Icon

• LocationGermany

Posted 24 July 2007 - 10:24 AM

If they aren't missing, then they are really good players, and should not be penalized for being good at a game.

That's misguided. From a certain level on, hitting on the first shot is not particularly difficult anymore. What you are saying comes down to "it's fine if all good players use SR8", but clearly there is something wrong with this thinking. It's just the same with balancing the railgun in other games. Just because not everyone can get a 80% hit quota, it doesn't mean that the weapon can be considerably more powerful than other weapons when used most effectively.

However, I also think that very few (if any) players are able to use the automatics to their maximum effect. Especially the LR300/M4 I do not consider inferior, merely more difficult to master (despite being easier to learn). Compared to other games the sniper rifle in URT is almost ridiculously powerful and TS is a gametype that magnifies even the tiniest balance issue.

URT has always been a very sniper heavy game, so I'm wondering what those are thinking who believe that NOW - right before the intended final release - would be a good time for a massive shift in weapon balance. It certainly is annoying, but it doesn't break the game. And when playing slighly more sophisticated gametypes, it even works pretty well.

#102 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

• Account: mitsubishi

Posted 24 July 2007 - 12:29 PM

the sniper rifle in URT is almost ridiculously powerful and TS is a gametype that magnifies even the tiniest balance issue.

this is incorrect when comparing the sr8 in ts with the sr8 in ctf.

ts does not magnify any imbalance, ts DOES NOT HAVE A FLAG TO GET.

that means, you can't have an sr8 (or many sr8s) waiting in casa's narrow, you have to go through the narrow, jump down the tunnel go around get the flag, jump in the tunnel start running like a rabbit, get through the corner where some auto bunnyhoppers will try to get you etc.

it simply does not require the players to go around get flags or return flags.

#103 User is offline   Bumper (old) Icon

Posted 24 July 2007 - 06:58 PM

dborg I'm not advocating huge weapons changes [across the board changes] two things need to be looked at the SR8 and the Spas.
The spas is being looked at because the new changes made it overpowering relative to the other secondaries.
The SR8 needs to be looked at because the new changes [lower mp] made it is over powering relative to the other primaries as well as  other sniper rifles [compare the SR8 vs PSG1].

Another thing just occured to me:
Autos are perfectly balanced vs each other so why are the sniper rifles so off from each other?

Autos vs PSG1.
Is a great match up.
Autos vs SR8 is not.

SR8 vs PSG1 who wins?
Exactly

If the PSG1 had 1 shot bleed out on non kevlar then having the sr8 restrict the player to no vest should even it out.

#104 User is offline   357SIG (old) Icon

• LocationMiddle of Nowhere Iowa

Posted 25 July 2007 - 08:45 AM

dborg I'm not advocating huge weapons changes [across the board changes] two things need to be looked at the SR8 and the Spas.
The spas is being looked at because the new changes made it overpowering relative to the other secondaries.
The SR8 needs to be looked at because the new changes [lower mp] made it is over powering relative to the other primaries as well as  other sniper rifles [compare the SR8 vs PSG1].

Another thing just occured to me:
Autos are perfectly balanced vs each other so why are the sniper rifles so off from each other?

Autos vs PSG1.
Is a great match up.
Autos vs SR8 is not.

SR8 vs PSG1 who wins?
Exactly

If the PSG1 had 1 shot bleed out on non kevlar then having the sr8 restrict the player to no vest should even it out.

Agreed

EDIT: Whilst in a heated match of TS, an idea that might have come up before pinged off my skull in the shape of a .338 lapua magnum round (for those who understand that, good for you fellow gun nut)

has anyone ever suggested a cvar that limits the amount of SR-8 or sniper type weapons on any given team?

#105 User is offline   dborg (old) Icon

• LocationGermany

Posted 25 July 2007 - 05:55 PM

this is incorrect when comparing the sr8 in ts with the sr8 in ctf.

ts does not magnify any imbalance, ts DOES NOT HAVE A FLAG TO GET.

Yes, you are right. The SR8 has various properties which make it less useful in situations that just don't occur in TS. It's a pity really. An SR8 that is "just right" for CTF will most likely be overpowered in TS. And an SR8 that is "just right" for TS will most likely be worthless in CTF (or play too much like the autos). This is actually just another case of "options are bad" and "less is (sometimes) more". ;) Too bad we got this huge split between the US and Europe, so URT could never really unify. But that's an old hat...

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#106 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

Posted 25 July 2007 - 06:32 PM

Yes, you are right. The SR8 has various properties which make it less useful in situations that just don't occur in TS. It's a pity really. An SR8 that is "just right" for CTF will most likely be overpowered in TS. And an SR8 that is "just right" for TS will most likely be worthless in CTF (or play too much like the autos). This is actually just another case of "options are bad" and "less is (sometimes) more". ;) Too bad we got this huge split between the US and Europe, so URT could never really unify. But that's an old hat...

I wonder if it'd be too confusing having different properties in each game type:p

#107 User is offline   StonedLemming (old) Icon

• LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 27 July 2007 - 02:56 AM

Im a sr-8 monkey but in my opinion a good player with an lr will own a equally good player using a sr-8, the sr-8 is the hardest weapon too use in the game, and 1 miss usually means you get pumped full of LR/M4 rounds,especially if the other team happens too have a few good auto spraying players, i say its balanced enough as is, its not "ridiculously" powerfull, its powerfull enough. :P

And i think i read up somewhere that the psg-1 chest insta bleedout will be back, it was supposed too be in for 4.0 anyways, but thats just what i heard.

If there is one overpowered weapon in the game now, it has too be the spas, when you crouch with that thing, even in midair you can do insane dmg over quite long distances, plus making it almost impossible too aim for the person on the receiving end of the steak peppering.

#108 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

Posted 27 July 2007 - 04:30 PM

I find the negev with a silencer overpowered when used for ctf defence in a big team. Its rounds never end. Though specialized (it wouldn't do much in ts or ctf offence and more active defence), I think it could use not being allowed the silencer or getting a bit more inaccurate.

The spas too and it shows when getting fragged with 3 shots from 5 miles away.

#109 User is offline   BladeUrbanTerrorist (old) Icon

• LocationBrighton, UK

Posted 27 July 2007 - 10:00 PM

My two pennies worth on this subject is:

The SR8, the SPAS, they are all available for everyone to use so whats the REAL issue? i.e. there is no advantage given to anyone other than to those who have practiced and even perfected the SR8, which in my belief is just fair.
An un-scoped SR8 (close range, quickly switched) has no x-hair (unless ya draw a cross on ya screen of coursse  :-P), if you have time, and the finesse to scope it and get a hit - fair play, I hope to have taken my opponent out by that time (it doesnt always happen mind).
Me personally, I prefer an auto (an do alright with it thank you!  :-D )
If I was that bothered by the SR8 'alledged advantage', I would practise more with it.

There has been a plethora of tweaks in the balancing of weapons in UrT since 1.27, often not to my liking, but it has always been my choice what to carry taking into mind its idiosyncracies. The SR8 has always been a mean bit of kit too.

#110 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

Posted 28 July 2007 - 02:55 PM

The SR8, the SPAS, they are all available for everyone to use so whats the REAL issue?

This is a weak argument - without going into whether the particular ones are unbalanced or not - since you don't take into account that if an item is better than another at any situation then the 'other' becomes useless and the game gets dull. Or, an opponent is forced to use the overpowered item.

• (15 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942