Urban Terror Forums: Interview with Wolfseye, owner of Urbanbase.net - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Interview with Wolfseye, owner of Urbanbase.net Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   LegoManser (old) Icon

• Lurking bastard
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 22 May 2004 - 06:57 PM

Starting to be friends with Wolfseye. This guy has a lot of goodwill and he helps people in the community with his website, http://www.urbanbase.net so I decided that I wanted to interview him. :)
Here's the result.

The unavoidable introduction please. Who are you and where are you from?
Hi ...
I am [TLW] Wolfs Eye and Admin of URBANBASE.NET and my Team Site is at TEAMTLW.NET. Gerhard is my real name and I am 31 years old. I am from Cologne / Germany.

What can I expect, as an Urbanterror player, when I surf over to www.urbanbase.net?
At first all the necessary Stuff you need to play, MAPS for example. URBANBASE has almost any map, except for any old alpha Version or any Beta, but most of them you will find on URBANBASE. Approx. 297 3rd Party Maps. Also the Game Files of URBAN TERROR itself, beginning from BETA 1 until the actual latest ones. Kind of URBAN TERROR Museum. :) Also Videos from URBAN TERROR. We give the possibility to host videos on URBANBASE. If there is someone intersted in hosting his own made Videos on the Net, even its quite big, you can ask me anytime.

We also do Testin for Mappers, if they need help. We did almost a great part of beta testing YAMAGATA´s really great Map: TX ANTREA Beta 1 & 2 so far. Any peope interested in help like this can always call me too. We do offer Webspace, if a Mapper maybe wants to make up a nice small Site to present his Map progress on the Web. Also FTP Upload for Maps & Videos from people who like us to host their stuff. Many things are possible, just ask ppl :)

When and how did you find out, that you wanted to create a page like www.urbanbase.net?
Hmm, after a short time of playing URBAN TERROR i realized, those wonderful custom Maps are not accepted and not much played, I decided to make something about it. At first, after I founded our ---> Team [TLW] <--- and had my first own Game Server, I started to make something unique for these Maps. I decided to a weekly changing Mapcycle, so all these Maps had a chance to be played. This was at this time unique. No other Server did it this way before. Later there were some other Clans that did it a similiar way.

Since then I tried to give links on our Teampage for all the Maps we have in the Mapcycles, but realized very fast, so many downloads on a Clan or Team Page were not so good. The lots of download would take over most of the site and many people are not interested to visit Clan Sites for downloads. So, after i had my first big Webspace, I started URBANBASE.DE !!! At first i did also bring in downloads of many other games, Quake 3 Engine based or not. But also after a while i realized the amount of Files needed to upadate all the necessary Game Files daily were way to much. At this Time, URBANBASE.DE contained 24 GB of Downloads ! ;)

But with this Webspace came some limitations. Without a real Root Server, i could not work this out the way I wanted it. So I changed from this Webspace to my own Root Server with a real fast Internet Connection and changed the domain to URBANBASE.NET !! That, I thought would be better for site to become visited since .de Domain Sites mostly were visited from inside Germany. I also cut out most of the other games, and specialized the site more for that, for what it originally was planed, for URBAN TERROR & Quake 3. Only a few things from ENEMY TERRITORY i had left from the old site.

What are your goals with urbanbase?
Now URBANBASE contains again more than 14 GB of Downloads and I really am surprised so many people come daily on this Site and look around and download. The actual Stats from today said that now the daily hits are at approx. 36529 !!! Wow, I don´t know what to say. I am impressed. Thx to you all who like my site and still come along for a visit.

At the moment URBANBASE has a TDM Custom Maps Cup running, containing 16 Teams a 4 Players. We are almost in the middle of this CUP so far and many ppl seems to have find their fun in TDM again. A goal I always wanna to reach too. I love TDM and even if most the players just like CTF / BOMB or TS because they say, TDM is without any sense, I don´t agree with that. Most of the Custom Maps are best played in TDM !!! And those maps are fun and also TDM is fun. So, when you look tactical on TDM, it may be not interesting, but when you just see it this way, its not for fun you play.

What do you want to accomplish for the future?
After this CUP the next thing planed is the start of a:

TDM Custom Maps League

This project is already in work but will take some time, approx. untill the end of June. And it maybe did not look so professional in the beginning, because for that a more complex League Script will be necessary, but I will start easy. Simple but effective. Also I know that this will not be so much of interest as a CTF / BOMB or TS League, which is already active on many places, but it will be unique too. And its only about Fun, not about who is the best in CLANBASE Land ;) or somewhere like this, its about where can I do such a thing thats really not common. The Main Thought about this League is also to get those 3rd Party Maps more accepted by the community and the mappers can see their maps actualy more played. Thats the biggest compliment for a mapper, when he sees his Map actually is played.

CASA / ABBEY / DOCKS maybe are some of the most competition maps, but they are not the end. Most people sadly just see it that way.

When its possible, to make the community more interested for 3rd Party Maps, so I reached my main goal. Also I try with the new URBANBASE Forum (http://www.urbanbase.net/forums/) to bring different Communitys more together. So far SPAIN / ITALY / FRANCE !!! I try to give them a place to write their stuff not just in their local area sites, but also give them the possibility to feel a bit more like "home" there with making these Sections in the language of their Countrys. I hope to establish a more closer working community about our all most loved Game URBAN TERROR. At least for me its still that way. More response for this and for this project i really would appreciate.

Anything else you want to say? Shoutouts?
Hmm, what can I say else. I really would like to see some interested ppl who wanna help URBANBASE in its ways. If its newsposting, Forum Moderation or anything else. Any help is appreciated also. I wanna thank you all to make URBANBASE.NET become what it has become. A more visited site than I ever imagined. This is the greatest Wish I ever had and you made it possible. If there is anything, I can help in the Community, just let me know.

Thanks Wolfseye.

www.Urbanbase.net

#2 User is offline   Aarsbuds0r (old) Icon

• LocationNetherlands, The

Posted 22 May 2004 - 07:37 PM

COol, I realy like wolfseye and his site too.

I am trying to get a second Urt server running @ my univsersity where 3rd party maps and other less played maps will be played at.

#4 User is offline   Roadkill (old) Icon

• Locationroyal.stockholm.se

Posted 22 May 2004 - 08:32 PM

Nice interview and nice work Wolfseye. Impressive. :D

#5 User is offline   Chris Icon

• Account: chris
  • Main tag: [US]

Posted 22 May 2004 - 10:55 PM

:)

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   Blade (old) Icon

• LocationThe Netherlands.

Posted 23 May 2004 - 01:12 AM

yeye, know wolfseye for quite some time now, and he's really a great addition to the community, so again, I like what you did to the site wolf ;)

And nice idea of you Lego to make such an interview :)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942