• +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Extending radio menu Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   noskill (old) Icon

• LocationHungary

Posted 15 March 2008 - 10:48 PM

Hi,

I would like to make some additional sounds in the radio menu on my server.
Is it possible?
I looked inside zpak000.pk3 and zpak000_assets.pk3 but did not find the menu definitions of the radio menu.
Where is it located?
Is there any way to extend it?
Or is there any other possibilities to make any other menu system for additional radio sounds?

#2 User is offline   Nexu Icon

•   clan leader   
  • Account: nexu
  • Main tag: |it|

Posted 16 March 2008 - 05:08 PM

That would be "modding" UrbanTerror. Which from what i gather, is not appreciated by the devs.

#3 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

• Account: mitsubishi

Posted 16 March 2008 - 05:10 PM

Is it possible?

No, it needs modifications also on clients.

#4 User is offline   noskill (old) Icon

• LocationHungary

Posted 16 March 2008 - 09:57 PM

That would be "modding" UrbanTerror. Which from what i gather, is not appreciated by the devs.

#1. No, it is only customizing a menu... the general gameplay or any rules won't be affected. So why it could be called a modding???
#2. Why would not been appreciated by the devs? Don't really got it man, sry.

No, it needs modifications also on clients.

yep I imagine a custom additional pk3 what could be downloaded from our server, and as a pure server it would be a must for connecting to us.
In this pk3 would be some menudefs and menuscripts for the radio thingy.
But only if it is scriptable, I do not want to reprogramming the radio zhings without programming skills :D

#5 User is offline   Oswald (old) Icon

• LocationWishin' I was in SoCal

Posted 18 March 2008 - 03:59 AM

We don't like our work modded. Those who work on the game have put in many long hours and effort and don't want others to modify or overwrite our work. Adding modified pak files that would overwrite our work would not be tolerated.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   Nexu Icon

•   clan leader   

Posted 18 March 2008 - 08:12 AM

#1. No, it is only customizing a menu... the general gameplay or any rules won't be affected. So why it could be called a modding???

Because you are modifying files that comes with the game. This is considered "modding" (since you modified something).

#7 User is offline   noskill (old) Icon

• LocationHungary

Posted 18 March 2008 - 08:18 AM

We don't like our work modded. Those who work on the game have put in many long hours and effort and don't want others to modify or overwrite our work. Adding modified pak files that would overwrite our work would not be tolerated.

:? :? :? :?
Sorry Oswald I feel your post very offensive but for sure I do not really understand the reason of it. It was only a question. I did not make any modification yet and I never told I will modify your work. I think my english could be a reason, maybe I did not express myself in that manner I wanted to.

Ok, make it clear.

1. If I buy a car and put some logo and sticker on it I think I could not say I modified it. So please define what do you mean exactly about modifying UrT. If I provide an additional pk3 on my server to have it more customized that did not mean I modified your work because it is only a simple extension of design and look&feel (like the car sticker), like the custom maps... Mappers also do not modify your original work they only make additional map so I do not really understand what is the problem with some additional sound to let the players to express themselves with more sounds for fun.
2. I find the licence in the FAQ, it says "Urban Terror can be freely distributed over the internet, unmodified, without charging for the product". So, I do not want to modify the files in any of the original zpaks, I would like to make an additional pk3, and do not wan to charge it ever. (I will check the licence in the installer also, but it is not available for me atm)
3. I respect all your work and wish, and do not want to make any of the devs angry so feel free that I won't do anything without your agreement and step ahead if I make something first I will post to you to check if it won't against to your sense and won't hurt anybody or break any rules. If you will say so, I won't release it.

Regards

EDIT:
Ok I downloaded the installer here also and I found the following about the licensing

Use of any file contained within the mod is illegal without permission.
Anyone wishing to re-use any of the media contained within the official
release of Urban Terror should first contact Frozen Sand at
http://www.frozensand.com or http://www.urbanterror.net

iourt is GPL-ed and nothing in Q3 SDK licence about the mod files, so only the aboves. correct me if I am not right I am not so familiar with legal texts in english.
So I am asking for an agree to extend the radio menu, but before release I will show it to the dev team for agreement. If they will say no, it won't be released. To achive this I still need the information about how the rediomenu is defined ;)
I you deny at start, I will not extend the radio menu, my respect is yours Devs.

#8 User is offline   noskill (old) Icon

• LocationHungary

Posted 18 March 2008 - 08:29 AM

Because you are modifying files that comes with the game. This is considered "modding" (since you modified something).

oh come on, don't be rude and too strict... you know what I am talking about...
I won't earn money with it, and won't have any other benefit, it is only an extension for fun, nothing special. :-P
If you say so, you can also ban b3 from urt servers because it makes an extension to the administration of them.  :-o
Seriuosly I really do not understand who will be hurt if I make such an extension...  :|

#9 User is offline   Nexu Icon

•   clan leader   

Posted 18 March 2008 - 09:59 AM

oh come on, don't be rude and too strict... you know what I am talking about...

I was just answering your question on why it is considered modding.

I won't earn money with it, and won't have any other benefit, it is only an extension for fun, nothing special. :-P
If you say so, you can also ban b3 from urt servers because it makes an extension to the administration of them.  :-o
Seriuosly I really do not understand who will be hurt if I make such an extension...  :|

The difference between what you are trying to do and what B3 does is that you are changing (overwriting or appending) existing data (either it's text or graphics or audio) to add new content, in contrary to B3 that doesn't touch anything at all in the pk3 files and add (administrative) features without touching or overwriting any of the existing data (not including cvars, as they are ment to be changed).

Back to your example of the car. Adding stickers would be comparable to adding new maps to a game server. But what you are doing now is more or less trying to replace your muffler on your car.

Just my 2ct.

PS = if you just really wants to have some new radio calls you should perhaps rather suggest them as new features to the devs :)

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored link
https://www.frozensand.com/

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942