ut4_paris_beta_2 Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Clatoo Icon

•   mapper   
    Mapper
  • Account: clatoo
  • Main tag: ~SG~

Posted 19 March 2009 - 11:14 AM

Hi all,

With my second map "Maximus", I realized that it was very difficult to please everybody (a lot of criticism or thoughts, but very little help... In fact, I hoped, perhaps wrongly, that some good players can test the map and give me some concrete and specific advice on adjustments to make a good map... damage...).
I repeat one last attempt... I realize as a map not to fill my hard drive data (: but for the pleasure of designing and play with you... that's... That said...

Now I can present you my third map: PARIS beta 2.
As its name indicates the action takes place in the city of Paris.
Why Paris: first to complete the list of cities/countries that already exist for UT (Algier, Prague, Austria, Tunis, Riyadh, Casa, ...), then realize my first Urban atmosphere and then simply because it is the city where I live everyday (:
All textures have been created or modified to create the desired ambiance.
I thank LT1 and Black Rayne Studios for making available their "models": br_garbagecans.
Thanks also to: DrFolAmour and his team SG, P4mp, Try0, ...

It is compatible with these different modes:
- Capture The Flag (CTF).
- Team Survivor (TS), in my opinion interesting map in this mode.
- Free For All (FFA).
- Team Deathmatch (TDM).
- Bomb.

Instead of a long speech, I leave you to discover all its secrets...

Clatoo,

Download (15 Mo): http://rapidshare.co...aris_beta_2.pk3

Screens:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 User is offline   SubJunk Icon

• Account: subjunk

Posted 19 March 2009 - 11:43 AM

Looks like there are some cool jumps to be found on that map, thanks for making it! I'll check it out :D

#3 User is offline   codey (old) Icon

• Locationrepublic.stockholm.se

Posted 19 March 2009 - 11:53 AM

Very impressive screenshots capturing a Paris mood. I'll check it out asap.

#5 User is offline   GanjaGuy (old) Icon

Posted 19 March 2009 - 12:35 PM

hey dude very nice..  i couldnt get bomb mode to work but yea i dig that map hope to see around...  if you are interested i can talk to someone about getting it up on our 3rd party maps server..  (im with |ALPHA| clan)  the only thing that might become annoying is snipers on the roof but i still like this map...  ive been actually throwing aroud an idea of making venice but havent made a decision...  but u may have inspired me a bit so ty and ty for adding another cool map to the community

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#7 User is offline   NulL Icon

•   former FS member   
    Level Designer
  • Account: null

Posted 19 March 2009 - 03:21 PM

This map has a lot of potential, great work.

However there some major flaws, mainly in construction. I was almost horrified when I discovered that you placed the map in a giant encompassing box. What was the reason for this? Does it not compile without it? You should remove it before you get to a final release, just have the sky, buildings and ground as the hull of your map.

If you check the map with r_speeds 1 you will see that the surface count (second number from the left) can reach over 5000 in some areas, this is way above what i would recommend as a maximum surface count of 2000-2500. You can improve this with hints, and removing the box around the map should improve things too.

The roofs are far too easy to gain access to in game modes where you clipped the ladders out (CTF BOMB etc) by climbing up the sides of the buildings. You should completely clip off the roofs in these gametypes, a blanket clip that covers the entire top portion of the map would too the trick. I agree with allowing roof access in FFA and TDM, however in TDM i recommend that you distribute the spawns over a larger area or they will become spawn camped from the rooftops; there really isnt any reason to spawn teams together in TDM.

In CTF the flags are in a narrow alleyway, I think it would be better to have the flags in the more open area  with the grass and the benches, where the spawn are now. And move the spawn over to the narrow alley area, maybe with some spawn rooms inside the buildings that open into the street.

Most surfaces use the default surface sound, I'm sure you'll remember to complete this before you hit final.

A minor thing, any decal that is on the ground, such as the chalked outline and the man hole covers should have surfaceparm nomarks, or you'll end up with a double shadow effect when someone walks over it.

NulL

#8 User is offline   sway Icon

• Account: sway

Posted 19 March 2009 - 03:26 PM

Wow, the map looks pretty nice from those screenshots . 8-)

I'm downloading it now to check it out.

#9 User is offline   Muffie Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: muffie

Posted 19 March 2009 - 03:51 PM

excellent map, i will play this later.

it looks a little clean imo lol

#10 User is offline   Clatoo Icon

•   mapper   
    Mapper
  • Account: clatoo
  • Main tag: ~SG~

Posted 19 March 2009 - 06:15 PM

$NulL

Reassure me, you're always so nice with the new mapper ?  :wink:
You dissect everything like that? I am sure that you cut like frogs in biology classes, to see what was inside... :lol:

Be lenient with me, it's not my job mapping, I was not the intention that it will become and it's only 2 and a half months that I started, so I still have much to learn... :-D

For the box that encloses the map, I found it easier to build and test and I had also planned to start a skybox, but now I can actually remove the lower...
In fact, for the moment I rely on FPS to judge the optimization. With an average computer setup, I'm up on the map (91/92 fps)... Moreover I do not know the "r_speeds"...

For CTF mode change flags and repawns is already planned for the beta 3 version following the test last night by the team SG: In fact the reverse flags and respawn.

For decals on the ground, thank you for the info...  8-)

Clatoo

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942