Urban Terror Forums: I don't "get" a lot of the optional gear - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
  • (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

I don't "get" a lot of the optional gear Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   KlaymenDK (old) Icon

Post icon  Posted 10 February 2010 - 12:03 AM

Please, could you explain to me the usefulness of some of these items? To me it seems like they're mostly for show, things that don't really work (as in: help you) in-game. But of course I'm wrong, or they would've been dropped long ago.

Tac goggles
At first this seemed utterly useless because it's damned difficult to tell who's who and where they're going ... then I played on a map where folk were overly fond of smoke grenades, and racked up a good number of sniper kills of enemies stumbling through the smoke. But that targeting box is really weird (the targeting box itself is fine, but the swift "new target acquired" effect is quite distracting). Further, the scope is somehow able to identify both persons and grenades (but, curiously, not other brass), and just cannot be based on any real device's capabilities.
I am just wondering if the current implementation is achieving the intended goal, or if it's still a work in progress.

Laser sight
Is this also bling, or what possible advantage do you get from having a red dot in front of you? When you're banging into a wall the dot is coin-sized but far off it's a teeny tiny pixel, so I really don't see this helping one's aim in any way. What it does do is let the other player know that you're just about to come 'round that corner... Please explain.

Silencer
Yeah I get that it dampens the sound, but because most (all?) shots still produce that "tracer" trail, it really doesn't do much to hide your position ... or have I misunderstood?

Also, who the devil goes to war with just two additional clips for his boom stick? From the tv I've seen, those swat team dudes are practically wrapped in clips. But fear not -- I know better than to stand here and suggest changes to the game!

I'm just ASKING, don't flame me please. I'm still trying to figure out the strengths and do's-and-don't's of this game.

This post has been edited by KlaymenDK: 10 February 2010 - 12:06 AM

KlaymenDK
-- 010\001\111 --

#2 User is offline   kbar Icon

• Account: kbar
  • Main tag: no|

Posted 10 February 2010 - 12:41 AM

tac goggles are for pro's or major noobs.

lasers tame your spread

silencers also cut down on the spray I believe, but the main point is silencing, and no muzzle flash.

Lastly, that's what makes UrT unique, and so that you wouldn't wanna spray all over and waste your ammo.

#3 User is offline   Engine Icon

• Account: engine

Posted 10 February 2010 - 12:46 AM

View PostKlaymenDK, on 10 February 2010 - 12:03 AM, said:

Please, could you explain to me the usefulness of some of these items? To me it seems like they're mostly for show, things that don't really work (as in: help you) in-game. But of course I'm wrong, or they would've been dropped long ago.

Tac goggles
At first this seemed utterly useless because it's damned difficult to tell who's who and where they're going ... then I played on a map where folk were overly fond of smoke grenades, and racked up a good number of sniper kills of enemies stumbling through the smoke. But that targeting box is really weird (the targeting box itself is fine, but the swift "new target acquired" effect is quite distracting). Further, the scope is somehow able to identify both persons and grenades (but, curiously, not other brass), and just cannot be based on any real device's capabilities.
I am just wondering if the current implementation is achieving the intended goal, or if it's still a work in progress.

Laser sight
Is this also bling, or what possible advantage do you get from having a red dot in front of you? When you're banging into a wall the dot is coin-sized but far off it's a teeny tiny pixel, so I really don't see this helping one's aim in any way. What it does do is let the other player know that you're just about to come 'round that corner... Please explain.

Silencer
Yeah I get that it dampens the sound, but because most (all?) shots still produce that "tracer" trail, it really doesn't do much to hide your position ... or have I misunderstood?

Also, who the devil goes to war with just two additional clips for his boom stick? From the tv I've seen, those swat team dudes are practically wrapped in clips. But fear not -- I know better than to stand here and suggest changes to the game!

I'm just ASKING, don't flame me please. I'm still trying to figure out the strengths and do's-and-don't's of this game.

First, go to http://dailynade.com and read some of the articles. (Self Promotion: OFF)

Second:

Tac Goggles are hardly used in competitive play mostly because in most maps are useless if not dangerous and also because you must have very good reflexes to distinguish quickly friends from foes. I saw them used in Team Survivor on Orbital to see enemies trough plants but I've never seen them used in other maps. If you're new forget them.

The Laser is not just a shiny dot. It will lower the spread of your weapon significantly, making you more precise. However it remains useless if you don't know how to shoot properly (I suggest you to read don's guide on DailyNade). It is often used with the M4, LR-300 and AK.

The Silencer will not affect spread or recoil, it will just suppress the sound. It can come in handy in very large maps like Ryadh where you don't want to give away your position when shooting.

#4 User is offline   Green Viking Icon

• Account: greenviking

Posted 10 February 2010 - 12:52 AM

View PostEngine, on 10 February 2010 - 12:46 AM, said:

The Silencer will not affect spread or recoil, it will just suppress the sound.

dosnt it say ingame that it does?

#5 User is offline   Engine Icon

• Account: engine

Posted 10 February 2010 - 01:04 AM

Yes but it doesn't.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   Nexu Icon

•   clan leader   
  • Account: nexu
  • Main tag: |it|

Posted 10 February 2010 - 01:20 AM

Funny, woekele told me it does, but by a very small margin, upon querying him on that before 4.1 release.

#7 User is offline   BludShoT Icon

• Account: bludshot
  • Main tag: [T]

Posted 10 February 2010 - 02:16 AM

The laser actually programatically reduces the spread on the gun, so it makes the gun more accurate (just like how in real life a laser would supposedly make you more accurate).

The silencer makes you silent, which can make it take longers for enemies to acquire your position. Also it suppresses the flash of the gun (so if you are in a window shooting it, that window/room doesn't light up, which can also result in it taking longer for enemies to acquire you. Also some find it easier to aim with because since it silences the noise and muzzle flash, you aren't as distracted by those things when firing it.

Plus, some say that it programmatically reduces spread, but others disagree and I don't think there's ever been an official answer on that (because they prefer to let the game do the talking).

Tac Goggles have their uses, as you even pointed out in your original post...

The amount of clips you carry in urt is not related to what real-life SWAT teams would carry. It has to do with weapon balance and gameplay considerations. IE: If everyone carried a ton of ammo the game would be less interesting.

#8 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

• Account: mitsubishi

Posted 10 February 2010 - 02:22 AM

the dev team clearly said it reduced spread or recoil very very slightly 'because people always mistakenly thought it did but it never did so they did it to be true'.

then some people came and made some statistical tests and said it didn't do anything.

it either
a) wasn't included by mistake
b) it was a lie
c) it is included but the statistical tests are wrong
d) it is included but some internal rounding up makes it 0 (which is a bug)
e) ????
f) profit
g) wrong meme

my bet is it does increase accuracy but so little, so extremely little, even a statistical test won't get it unless it runs for 2 hours.

This post has been edited by mitsubishi: 10 February 2010 - 02:23 AM

#9 User is offline   profspaz (old) Icon

Posted 10 February 2010 - 02:46 AM

Has anyone else noticed how the silencer slows a bullet down? I remember reading somewhere that it does, and I notice that this happens. Am I crazy? Yes! Is this a possibility? Yes!

SPaz
|-|3'/ |\|00B5 7|-|15 15 7|-|3 5P4Z. 7|-|3 b3$7 pR09R4/\/\/\/\3R 4|\|D 94/\/\/\/\3R 4R0U|\|D!
48 65 79 20 6e 30 30 62 73 20 69 74 27 73 20 50 72 6f 66 20 53 70 61 7a 2e 20 54 68 65 20 62 65 73 74 20 70 72 6f 67 72 61 6d 6d 65 72 2f 64 65 73 69 67 6e 65 72 2f 67 61 6d 65 72 2f 77 72 69 74 65 72 20 6f 6e 20 74 68 65 20 77 65 62 2e 20 54 68 65 20 66 61 63 74 20 74 68 61 74 20 79 6f 75 20 64 65 63 6f 64 65 64 20 74 68 69 73 20 6d 65 61 6e 73 20 79 6f 75 20 68 61 76 65 20 6e 6f 20 6c 69 66 65 21 20 53 65 6e 64 20 6d 65 20 74 68 65 6d 20 6d 65 73 73 61 67 65 20 2a 4c 49 46 45 2a 20 74 6f 20 67 65 74 20 61 20 66 72 65 65 20 73 6f 6d 65 74 68 69 6e 67 20 3b 29 (HINT: Coded in Hexadecimal ;) )

#10 User is offline   Majorheretic Icon

Posted 10 February 2010 - 04:42 AM

A silencer diffuses the expanding gas that a cartridge creates

Less gas Power = Slower Bullet
More Gas Power = Faster Bullet
URBAN TERROR IS NOT COD6
AKGRIZZLY: UrT devs slaved over boiling PCs in a crawl space full of rabid monkeys with no food, for no pay all so we could rawk peeps with l337 remington skills
M0usep0d: I got stuck with the slow, heavy, weak, balding model.
ObScUrE: We should start now all to play COD and suggest Sr8, curbstomps, walljumps, jumpmaps...

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942