• You cannot reply to this topic

[4.2] The Auth System Rate Topic: -----

#71 User is offline   s.e.t.i. Icon

•   former FS member   
    Engine Developer
  • Account: seti

Posted 02 August 2012 - 02:51 PM

View Postelfix, on 02 August 2012 - 01:22 PM, said:

As I asked somewhere in these forums, and as I still didn't get an answer: how is the authentication system designed? Will our passwords in plain text pass through UrT servers? Is it sent directly to FS' auth server?

No, the auth key is NOT sent in plaintext and it is not passed through the game servers.
Cheers... s.e.t.i.
[img]http://www.urbanterr...ers/13.0.80.png[/img]

#72 User is offline   BorderFox Icon

• Account: borderfox

Posted 02 August 2012 - 03:59 PM

View PostGarreth, on 02 August 2012 - 12:39 AM, said:

Lol, you still don't get the idea of the new system, do you? Bans are local, not global. You CAN take shared banlists from any server you like, but you DON'T HAVE to do it.

But I'm thinking along the same lines as THARGOR as well and he makes a valid point.

A players notoriety also needs protection and the playing field should be the same across the board. Surely what garreth said can't be true, that you can share any banlist you like? Any incidents relating to a player should be reported straight back to the auth system... no?

Depending on the players region, the choice of playing on servers with a good ping may be limited, so without any fixed rules etc, a player can be quickly become blacklisted from a number servers.

So would it be possible for FS to ...

define some set rules on banning, tempbanning?

to provide a platform for discussing weird kicks and bans?

There are too many discrepancies these days imo and now would be a nice time to set the global playing field. Some might argue that this is not competition etc but every game has it's basic rules, if someone wants to 'twist/bend' them, then imo they should not be allowed to 'auth' their servers. What use is the 'auth' to a player who doesn't cheat, but gets booted from servers anyway because the admins don't like them.

Your thoughts please :)

Border

This post has been edited by BorderFox: 02 August 2012 - 04:07 PM

BorderFox

#74 User is offline   BorderFox Icon

• Account: borderfox

Posted 02 August 2012 - 04:46 PM

@Frankie V

Sure, I get the main function and yes I agree . I'm just trying to suggest that like the rules of football, they are the same no matter where you play. Why can't that be the same for UrT. I'm only suggesting that all server admins would agree to a few set rules i.e. permbans only apply to cheaters and nothing else (with demos). Tempbans for other misdemeanors would all carry the same punishment. Just a few fundamentals. If you are not allowed to swear on a server etc (worried about age groups etc) friendly fire on/off - well... leave those to the server admins (house rules).

You say "We can't set rules as they won't follow them" - maybe that would be something for ye guys to consider for step2 and if this could be implemented then the server would be FS certified lol.

Thanks for your response,

Border

This post has been edited by BorderFox: 02 August 2012 - 04:50 PM

BorderFox

#75 User is offline   Divinity Icon

• Account: divinity
  • Main tag: /eVo/

Posted 02 August 2012 - 05:26 PM

Some cheaters are blatantly obvious. But there's many times they are not. Aimbots snapping all over the place are at one end of the spectrum of clearly a cheat and then the further away from that extreme of obviousness you get, the harder it is to ban with confidence.

Given that difficulty, there's little chance you could reach consensus on what people would consider universally bannable. Even experienced players sometimes have disagreements on a demo.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#76 User is offline   Kuspix Icon

• Account: kuspix

Posted 02 August 2012 - 05:50 PM

The most important thing is not done yet , thats the anticheat , and i think it will never be done, releasing this version and not to include an AC its pointless. since u released a date on the upcoming 4.2 the "cheaters" have indeed increased among servers . BTW release time acurate to the 4.2 ?

#77 User is offline   elfix Icon

• Account: elfix

Posted 02 August 2012 - 05:51 PM

View Posts.e.t.i., on 02 August 2012 - 02:51 PM, said:

No, the auth key is NOT sent in plaintext and it is not passed through the game servers.

Thanks. Had to have a confirmation :)

#79 User is offline   Divinity Icon

• Account: divinity
  • Main tag: /eVo/

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:51 PM

View PostBlapecool, on 02 August 2012 - 06:14 PM, said:

They cant do an AC on 4.2 since the engine for 4.X is open source

That's not the reason they stated in their press release and I recall much discussion about closing the source to protect the AC wouldn't actually keep it secure from hackers breaking it. Pretty sure this reality is one reason for auto-updating -- so they can roll out tweaks to keep hackers guessing.

Security through obscurity is insecurity. This has always been true and always will be.

#80 User is offline   Kuspix Icon

• Account: kuspix

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:11 PM

im not saying its pointless to have auth , im saying we need an AC i know auth is very important for an AC , having auth is not going to pointout ho are playing against , and im more interested in CW games than public servers, in small comunity like urt having ur auth name pinpointed when u go in a server will lead to many well known players to use one acc to pub servers and one to CW, since knowing ho they are leads to other unconfortable stuff going on in servers, u got to agree with me that many of current players are just stupid kids, will also lead for sure to bans in banlists missgiven by server admins wannabes, ofc when FS starts to build a ban list with links to demos and other stuff thats gonna be ok i guess , until then im also just guessing how is gonna be, i think time will tell and i also think some tweaks are gonna be made.

• (10 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942