A short Question

#1 User is offline   Iye Icon

•   head moderator   
    Co-Chief Community Moderator
  • Account: iye

Post icon  Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:01 AM

Hey there (dev team),

i got a short question:
am i allowed to share modified main menus for UrT freely via the internet ?

It looks like this and there isn't anything else changed except the stuff you see and the server-list background. Actually it shows 8 levelshots in a loop.

Greetz and keep up the awesome work,
Iye
Sorry for my bad spelling - I am still asleep. :)

|=| Iye's UrT Addon |=| Firefox Personas |=| Maps |=|
http://www.mediafire...vk3a602hcfg.jpg

#2 User is offline   ObScUrE Icon

•   head moderator   
  • Account: obscure

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:33 AM

Source: Forum Guidelines

Modifications (Mods):
The development team asks you not to modify Urban Terror or its resources files in any way. Please respect their choice. Do not create threads about this.

BenQ-XL2420T|Filco-Ninja-TKL-MXRed|Logitech-G403|AKG-K70201000010 01101100 01110101 01110100 01010010 01100001 01110101 00100100 01100011 01101000~The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear.~

#3 User is offline   ZephyR Icon

• Account: zephyr

Posted 15 May 2013 - 03:25 AM

Honestly, I don't see why not.

I guess it would also depend on the version of UrT.
While 4.2 is closed sourced, mods for 4.1 have existed for quite some time that do much bigger changes to the game than a simple menu change.
In my opinion, a custom EXE is just another mod.

While I am by no means a member of Frozen Sand, it seems a little contradictory to say no here, but then allow other mods to be posted on the forum freely (hell I believe some of the are even stickied).

This post has been edited by ZephyR: 15 May 2013 - 03:26 AM

#4 User is offline   Iye Icon

•   head moderator   
  • Account: iye

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:20 AM

Please respect their choice. Do not create threads about this.

That's why i send an email first and got no answer so far. The contact page says forums is the main way of communication, so i thought i'd just post it here.

But according to Q SDK i may create mods for quake (which UrT is concerned as too) as long as i share everything freely.

The point is that is "mod" doesn't change anything to UrT's physics, gameplay and so on. it does not change any function, neither it does remove any.
It only moves the buttons in the main menu and changes the background.
It's not even an own executable, since those changes can be done in a single file in zpak_000.pk3 (i created a copy of it)
For gameplay (server) mods you are asked to add a [MOD] tag to the server name and are only allowed to use it if it doesn't require download of a additional .pk3.
For this one you would clearly need to download my .pk3.
That's why i am asking.
I do not want to change UrT or create a mod for it, and i do not want to reuse UrT sources/assets "without permission", since you can't do anything with my "mod" if you haven't got a version matching copy of UrT.

I just want to share some main menus for use by other players.

I guess it would also depend on the version of UrT.
While 4.2 is closed sourced,[...]

I could create such a mod for 4.2 too, because it's only the ioUrbanTerror binary and the Urbanterror.qvm that are closed source. That wasn't different in 4.1.

Would be great if i could share it. (it does not "harm" anybody)

Iye

This post has been edited by Iye: 15 May 2013 - 08:23 AM

Sorry for my bad spelling - I am still asleep. :)

|=| Iye's UrT Addon |=| Firefox Personas |=| Maps |=|
http://www.mediafire...vk3a602hcfg.jpg

#5 User is offline   H0i Icon

•   former FS member   
    Modeler
  • Account: h0i

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:44 PM

View PostIye, on 15 May 2013 - 08:20 AM, said:

I could create such a mod for 4.2 too, because it's only the ioUrbanTerror binary and the Urbanterror.qvm that are closed source. That wasn't different in 4.1.

Actually, the ioUrbanTerror binary is open source. The qvm is closed indeed, and so are the assets of urt - we wish people do not mod our qvm or assets, and as the menu is a part of those, modding the menu is in the category of things we don't want to see modded.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   Fenix Icon

•   former FS member   
  • Account: fenix

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:53 PM

Not to mention that if you edit menus, you will not be able to play on pure servers (sv_pure 1).

About this: But according to Q SDK i may create mods for quake (which UrT is concerned as too) as long as i share everything freely.

You can create mods of Quake 3, not mods of Urban Terror. All our assets belongs to Frozen Sand.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942