Urban Terror Forums: To whoever will make maps on UrT HD... - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

To whoever will make maps on UrT HD...

#1 User is offline   Lecter2142 Icon

Posted 05 July 2014 - 04:15 AM

First before I go on I just have a question: are we going to be able to use the current maps on UrT HD? All these pk3 custom maps... Could we use them on the next version? I hope so otherwise you're giving up too much content away and it will be like starting from scratch which is not cool.

So now my thread's point: please do not repeat the same mistakes on UrT HD.

You're a mapper: you create half of the game's environment and your map will define the way people will play this game. So be careful about what you're going to do because here are the mistakes they have done and these mistakes are partly responsible for the standing of this game and the standing of the players' play today...

• Please, make sure your map's elements have a decent size. Make huge doors, don't overload them with details that will just stop us from moving ourselves when we play. The amount of blocks we get on Turnpike with the doors is just insane. the hallways in sanctuary are damn too small as well. Okay maybe the hallways can be small. But make sure we don't block ourselves in the entrances. It's just so frustrating to get blocked because a space of my screen as large as my hair doesn't get into it.
  • Don't make frozen-constipated-style maps. Team Survivor is ruined nowadays because everyone camps. Why? Because the maps allow people to do so. Please don't abuse with all the corners and little tricky useless spots.
  • A map used in leagues is meant to be played, not to be watched. Some maps played in leagues are just over abusing the CPU resources of computers such as mine because there's too much emphasis put on graphics and details. Sure you can make nice maps and extend your creativity but think about those who will play it. A good example is Casa. The music is useless, too many graphic details that make people lag and stop them from being able to move or play decently. Red room on orbital made people lag back in its beginning because of the red light or something. Tohunga is actually the best example I can give. Too many details that consume the computer's CPU and stop people from playing. It's stupid but it plays a big role there. Please make sure you optimize your maps for leagues.

It's all I have to say for now. Some maps make TS mode unplayable because people either camp way too much or just play poorly. Make a fast, playable, and dynamic map for leagues.

Cheers.

#4 User is offline   Kolossus Icon

• Account: kolossus

Posted 05 July 2014 - 09:26 AM

View PostLecter2142, on 05 July 2014 - 04:15 AM, said:

[list]
Please, make sure your map's elements have a decent size. Make huge doors, don't overload them with details that will just stop us from moving ourselves when we play. The amount of blocks we get on Turnpike with the doors is just insane. the hallways in sanctuary are damn too small as well. Okay maybe the hallways can be small. But make sure we don't block ourselves in the entrances. It's just so frustrating to get blocked because a space of my screen as large as my hair doesn't get into it.

I usually get stuck in TP's doors because too many players rush at once, but the problem might be the doors themselves and not the door frame.

Don't make frozen-constipated-style maps. Team Survivor is ruined nowadays because everyone camps. Why? Because the maps allow people to do so. Please don't abuse with all the corners and little tricky useless spots.

The problem/cause of campers is not the corners in a map, it's the campers. There are many corners but I know many players, me included, that don't camp, even with 1 health. So make sure the server has present admins at most times and you won't have campers. Sorry but I disagree that the problem is the maps, it's the behavior.

A good example is Casa. The music is useless

I agree that too much detail on a map is not needed (unfortunately we cannot add too much), but the music in Casa is iconic for me. I mean, it's one of the few things I still remember from my first games on UrT, the music in Casa. And also the "Blue/Red team wins!" voice. :P

This post has been edited by Kolossus: 05 July 2014 - 09:26 AM

#5 User is offline   Pez Icon

• Account: pez
  • Main tag: strayA#

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:50 AM

Campers

Make maps for bomb mode, having an objective will stop people from sitting back and baiting the other team. The maps need open bombsites so those that are defending cannot hide in corners and 'camp'.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   rastablaster Icon

• Account: rastablaster

Posted 14 July 2014 - 07:05 AM

Defending in BM is about smart "camping". Get over it.

#7 User is offline   Pez Icon

• Account: pez
  • Main tag: strayA#

Posted 15 July 2014 - 03:14 PM

View Postrastablaster, on 14 July 2014 - 07:05 AM, said:

Defending in BM is about smart "camping". Get over it.

I wasn't complaining about camping in Bomb mode, i am more than aware that it is part of defending. Merely providing a solution to the OP's problem of campers in TS. A Round objective will force the teams to actually play.

#8 User is offline   N.t.H. Icon

• Account: nth

Posted 02 August 2014 - 12:31 AM

As I recall the map design in UE in general is about assets being placed on the map, am I right? Back in UrT the maps consisted of only a few meshes.

(I'm asking because I started to do a redesign of Algiers for a potential UrT Hd once... but never finished it because I modelled it in Blender and had problems porting it into the radiant. With UE it's much easier :) )

Also, what level of detail are you aiming at, model- and texture-wise?

#10 User is offline   N.t.H. Icon

• Account: nth

Posted 11 August 2014 - 06:29 PM

Thanks for the answers! Just recently discovered that you've got a youtube channel, too, where you give some insight into your developement :)

As for the custom maps: Are there any problems with 3rd party mappers restoring/recreating older UrT maps? I believe I remember that there was at least one problem (copyright?) which (for example) hindered you from copying Turnpike 1:1. Instead you've made Nevada using the Turnpike layout.
Would be good to know before mappers start getting serious with facelifting old UrT-maps :D

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored link
https://www.frozensand.com/

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942