• +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Happy Birthday UrT! Rate Topic: -----

#2 User is offline   Bavon Icon

•   verified user   
  • Account: bavon

Posted 13 August 2015 - 02:38 AM

I was up playing until 3-4am....... every night (During School) :D I do not regret my decision
I make songs about Urban Terror..... Bavons Youtube
https://bavon.org

#3 User is offline   Reea Icon

• Account: reea
  • Main tag: BST|

Posted 13 August 2015 - 10:35 AM

First start in 2009, i was playing for about 6 month, between 8 and 10 hours daily,pc war, fun wars, was very active im FMD clan and uptown server, beautifull days lots of memories and happy moments. :laugh:

#4 User is offline   tintir Icon

• Account: tintir
  • Main tag: MsT*|

Posted 13 August 2015 - 10:49 AM

That only day, where I pwned everyone and got a score of 22-4 on KzH Zombie server in 4.1 as zombie. Idk if they all were bad, but I was better than my friend, who're very good at this game (or rather was. He sadly left us...).

#5 User is offline   ObScUrE Icon

•   head moderator   
    Co-Chief Community Moderator
  • Account: obscure

Posted 13 August 2015 - 03:24 PM

Happy Birthday UrT! :D

2.x

3.x

BenQ-XL2420T|Filco-Ninja-TKL-MXRed|Logitech-G403|AKG-K70201000010 01101100 01110101 01110100 01010010 01100001 01110101 00100100 01100011 01101000~The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear.~

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   Imbar Icon

• Account: imbar

Posted 14 August 2015 - 09:41 AM

Happy Birthday Urban Terror! :)
[*]Sar@h[P-FAC] - Principles for a Cause

Around since Urban Terror 1.27b

#7 User is online   JRandomNoob Icon

Community Moderator

Posted 15 August 2015 - 07:40 AM

omg omg omg I forgot entirely! Happy belated birthday, Urban Terror, may you last another fifteen (hundred) years!
dswp.de
Beginner’s Guide to Urban Terror (woefully out of date)
Daily Deadnade (Last updated September 9, 2016)

#8 User is offline   rfx Icon

• Account: rfx

Posted 15 August 2015 - 09:56 PM

Happy Birthday! So this is rather long ... sorry for that, just skip it if it annoys you :)

My oh my there are so many things going through my head when trying to remember all UrT related stuff. I consider myself an average/casual player, still got some fond memories.

Hard to tell the details but I remember discovering the game around 2000/2001 if that's possible.

My most beloved map was swim; not sure why. But dat sliding on the roof was just the absolute kicker for me. But oh the other maps ... casa ... ricochet,anyone? ...

Some many years later I enjoyed playing ut4_superman and ut4_terrorism6.
It was sad to say e.g. Wily Duck departing the community a few years ago. I guess it's almost 4 years ago to this month.
Oh, and ut4_eagle. Interesting fact: I opened the PAK and read the readme and it mentioned it was inspired by a movie .. Where Eagles Dare (get that name ...? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065207/ ). I actually bought the DVD and it was amazing! A Richard Burton and a young(er) Clint Eastwood ... anyway, I digress.

Unfortunately my memories are already blurred, because I played UrT at a time where walljumping wasn't possible and then made a few years pause and was absolutely surprised by this feature, not sure when it came.

My most intense playtime where when in-between relationships, otherwise life is too occupying. Now that I'm married.. go figure :| ... ;-)

In one of the period I was so commited I ran a few servers prefixed "MFN" or something. They weren't particular popular and mostly only featured maps I enjoyed playing tho for some time I also had a "freshmeat" instance for new maps the community released. But security problems and some kind of bandwidth-eating attacks forced me to stop them :-/ But it was fun, installed some admin management software, created my own monitoring diagrams about the player population and such with munin ... I think I used B3 or so.

Another thing I remember, seeing only in recent years, was mappers becoming more open about sharing their work/maps, i.e. map sources. Previously due all the copyright stuff and "don't change a map and re-release it without consent", some mappers stood up and explicitly made maps to be re-used all/any parts by anyone who wanted. Being a fan of open source (code-wise, at least), this was a nice fresh touch which I'd have loved to see much sooner happen. I also worked on a map on my own but never finished anything usable despite putting hours into it :D

Oh, and I also started working on improving GtkRadiant. Worked a bit on the codebase and made in my own fork, started out fixing bugs and also worked on some features. Mappers know there are two majorly different versions out there in terms of handling, 1.4 vs 1.5 (or was it 1.5 vs. 1.6?).

Never really figured out how they became so different code-wise (c vs. c++ afaik?), but I enjoyed hacking on the "older" version and integrated features from the "supposedly more recent" version or so. But due time constraints besides some small improvements this really led nowhere unfortunately. In retrospect I think I should have gone with the newer version, but since developing under Windows was always painful for me (I'm more a Linux guy) I eventually let it go.

Another thing I remember, more on the "not so cool" side was, when the website switched to a new forum software (was it around 2009 or so?). From one day to the other, all links to the old forum stopped working, they made no redirects which was really really bad because so much vital information was found there; not so much because of google (it would reindex anyway), but so many external websites deep linked into the forums; all stopped working :-(

Also due being only a season-player, I never made permanent "virtual friends/contacts" with the community though I appreciated those times when playing on the same server, seeing the same other players, feeling a kind of bond with them.

I think that game will be one of them I'll still remember when I'm in retirement :-D

I'll leave it at that now. UrT brought me great enjoyment, thanks to the devs and the community!

This post has been edited by rfx: 15 August 2015 - 09:56 PM

#9 User is offline   Biddle Icon

• Account: biddle
  • Main tag: fr.

Posted 17 August 2015 - 07:18 AM

Late happy bUrThday !
Can't wait for the bUrT-HDay 1 :-)

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942