• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Urban Terror and popularity Rate Topic: -----

#64 User is offline   ringel Icon

• Account: ringel
  • Main tag: =SC=

Posted 16 July 2016 - 01:59 PM

I think TDM isnt in a bad spot at the moment and doesnt have to be changed. Reasons:
- Spawnkilling isnt a problem since urt has no things like air strikes or mines or stuff where you can really use the positional advantage.
- Tdm is designed to be fun to play without using your brain too much (if you dont want to)
- "random" spawn positions will not change that the gamemode is relying on a "agreement" of both parties to fight (which is the only reason you go on a tdm server in the first place)
- many maps already have multiple spawn exits (which are still relatively close but ban the exessive use of granades to spawnkill) and it doesnt change anything in the game - this could be a way to go, but having different spawning locations on very different positions on the map will change everything

In my opinion the strength of TS and CTF is that this game modes are symmetrical. It allows the players and teams to play in their own style and doesnt rely on map design. I always feel forced to use the map like the designer wants me to do in very asymmetrical and objective centric games / game modes (like CS bomb).

Addressing the question: Why is there any problem with the current implementation of CTF? In my feeling 70% of the time if both teams have the flags of the opponent at the same time, none is able to retake the flag (on full public servers and in competitive matches between equally skilled teams). This leads to a tdm situation with one less player per team which isnt good game design. The most important seconds are the first few (will the carrier be able to escape) and the last (how is the team positioning itself).

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#66 User is offline   hydr0 Icon

• Account: hydr0

Posted 16 July 2016 - 11:13 PM

View Postringel, on 16 July 2016 - 08:06 AM, said:

I think the word skill celling is misleading. Yes with the addition of goin damage it is more likely that a noob will win a 1v1 against a "pro". But a low skill celling would imply that it is very easy to become a "pro". Dont think thats the case. It is just not as rewarding to be the pro :) That beeing said, there is a other problem with higher damage per second: Camping. Because it is more important who shoots first, it is more rewarding to camp and play passive. I dont think thats what urt stands for and that this is a direction in which it should evolve.

You contradicted yourself quite a lot here.
If a noob has a much higher chance of killing a pro in a 1v1 scenario due to the higher damage values then the skill ceiling is by default lower. In which case it makes even the process of being considered a "pro" tier player easier/lower standard. If it's "not as rewarding to be a pro" then there is simply a less room to be a better player aka lower skill ceiling. You are playing the semantics game hard here LOL we technically agreed on everything else.

Higher damage values are just simply detrimental to everyone involved.

Don't think so at all. Maybe if you talk about tdm this is true, but in CTF and TS it is all about map awareness, coordination and knowledge of timings. If you are better in that regard, you will almost ever outnumber the opponent in any encounter or have the first shot. UrT is a team game (at least in my eyes). If you talk about full publics with more than 20 players and no coordination you are right - but I think that's something good. This way new players can have a chance to get a few kills even against way better opponents.

I won the world title in non-wave (where team coordination and team work is essential)CTF in the last real Ftwgl, obviously I know what I'm talking about than your average player. You simply don't get a jump on players by having some insane real time strategy tactics, the game is heavily relied on reaction time, aim and team coordination.

We essentially agreed on everything other then the semantics.

#67 User is offline   Ikslorin Icon

•   verified user   
  • Account: ikslorin

Posted 17 July 2016 - 10:30 AM

There's also another problem with our current setup which we haven't yet spoken about. Now, this is technically not the fault of FS, and can even be changed today by the league admins, but it's still worth taking up here.

Currently in TS and CTF we use a 20 minute timer. This timer forces the loosing team towards engaging the other team, similar to an objective, but it also has some very problematic consequences from a viewer's perspective. Now this problem is also something that is present in things like football/soccer and other sports, which seems to do rather well - so it might be negligible.

But never the less, due to the timer every single match has somewhere between 0 to 7 minutes of gameplay (in average 4 minutes) that has no worth and no stakes involved. In TS, since a round of aggressive play starting with a rush takes about 30-40 seconds, you can calculate when it's impossible to tie the score. One of the biggest sins of shoutcasting is calling a GG before the game has ended, but currently it is impossible to work on the "comeback" story when it's literally impossible to make a comeback. Same also goes for CTF. While a flagcapture only takes 6 seconds to do, no team in the lead is just going to stop playing and let them take all the flags that are needed. You can pretty much extrapolate the time at which it's impossible to get back without a miraculous opening - which is the only possible storyline to cling onto for those minutes.

Most matches always end with some minutes of just filling air time by doing analysis of how one team beat the other together with working on the teams storyline throughout the tournament. That shouldn't be done during the game, but in the postgame analysis. Question is especially, if it's even possible to fix for something like CTF. I don't see any way to do that, but on the other hand, the problem is not as apparent in CTF as it is in TS.

View PostZenity, on 16 July 2016 - 10:16 AM, said:

Hot Potato
The basic concept of this is similar to bomb mode, with the most significant difference that the bomb will only explode at the end of the round. It is not possible to win a round early without eliminating the other team. Maps can have a larger number of "hot spots" and they don't have to be closer to the defenders. They can be spread around the map. Also the position of the bomb would be broadcasted to both teams on the radar.

This basically creates a situation where you want to stay away from the bomb for most of the game, but it still provides tactical opportunities (e.g. to use it as a ruse). Only towards the end of the round is when control of the bomb becomes crucial. If the timer runs out with the bomb on top of a hotspot (whether dropped or in possession of a player), the attacking team wins. If it explodes anywhere else, the defending team wins. Picking up or dropping the bomb (perhaps even throwing it) would be instantaneous, so it would allow for a lot of dynamic last moment actions.If all the above would come to pass, the list of game modes would essentially be four modes designed for competition (two respawn based, two round based), plus two modes designed for pubs only and a number of fun/special modes.

Very interesting idea, that very much builds on your ideas you expressed a few months ago. One question though: the bomb would still spawn with the attackers? How are we then not going to run into something similar to bomb on Kingdom, where a bombsite is reached by the attackers sooner than the defenders, thereby circumventing the taking of the bombsite and directly going to the second half of the round with the retake? I suppose that is unimportant, since players still engage, but that could lead to a 10:0 if the map favors the players on the site.

YouTube: youtube.com/ikslorin -|- Tweet, tweet: @ikslorin
Email: ikslorin[at]gmail[dot]com -|- Twitch: twitch.tv/ikslorin

#69 User is offline   Magister Icon

• Account: magister

Posted 18 July 2016 - 09:58 AM

Related to the topic of UrT and popularity, does FS know that a Steam Community has been created for Urban Terror? Is this the official Frozen Sand presence on Steam? Anyway, it provides links to the old forum address, so that should be updated at least. Also, the icon for the group is ugly and pixelated. Not sure if that can be fixed because it does not look nice. http://steamcommunit...ps/Urban_Terror 501 members it says.

• (10 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942