• +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Urban Terror deemed dangerous!?! Rate Topic: ***** 8 Votes

#181 User is offline   Respekt Icon

• Account: respekt

Posted 04 June 2010 - 05:08 PM

In the german forum a guy asked about the result and he got the answer that the action is suspended.

http://www.iourbante...-auf-dem-index/
I really like UrT :o

#182 User is offline   klabauterman Icon

• Account: klabauterman
  • Main tag: aI|

Posted 05 June 2010 - 02:16 PM

No, nothing was suspended. The KJM withdrew their proposal.

I think because they realized quickly that
- a game for free distributed over the Internet cannot be banned and
- a ban on advertisement cannot be enforced.

#183 User is offline   Honey406 Icon

• Account: honey406
  • Main tag: [LCDLC]

Posted 17 June 2010 - 06:53 AM

Thought you might find this interesting. It's an article about how the Karmapa, one of the major Tibetan Buddhist spiritual leaders, feels about playing "violent" video games. I played UrT against a Buddhist monk recently and he kicked my butt! :biggrin:

The Times India-
Trinley Dorje is a pretty hip guy. Like many 24-year-olds, he's into popular music and video games. He's also the Karmapa Lama - the only senior Buddhist leader recognized by the governments of China, India and Tibet.
Giving an interview to The Times of India, Dorje doesn't find his interest in violent video games to be inconsistent with his philosophy or his stature within Buddhism.

"I view video games as something of an emotional therapy, a mundane level of emotional therapy for me. We all have emotions whether we're Buddhist practitioners or not, all of us have emotions, happy emotions, sad emotions, displeased emotions and we need to figure out a way to deal with them when they arise.
So, for me sometimes it can be a relief, a kind of decompression to just play some video games. If I'm having some negative thoughts or negative feelings, video games are one way in which I can release that energy in the context of the illusion of the game. I feel better afterwards.
The aggression that comes out in the video game satiates whatever desire I might have to express that feeling. For me, that's very skilful because when I do that I don't have to go and hit anyone over the head."

The interviewer asks if his mediation should be taking care of such urges and he politely brushes her off. "No, video games are just a skillful method," he says.

"You know, I have felt oddly ... serene ... after playing Left 4 Dead."

Link to full article:
http://kotaku.com/53...-for-aggression

This post has been edited by Honey406: 17 June 2010 - 06:58 AM

#184 User is offline   toxicsnip3r Icon

Posted 19 June 2010 - 09:47 PM

View PostDecoy, on 14 April 2010 - 06:10 PM, said:

Urban Terror under investigation by German government authorities

The German government is making laws to protect the German youth from violent video games.
Their belief is that violent video games influence teenagers to think that killing people in real life is okay.

In a few weeks time, the German government will decide whether Urban Terror should be classified as a dangerous game!

The German commission may well decide that Urban Terror is too violent and should therefore be put on a list of "Dangerous Video Games for adolescents". Our website and game will then be blocked from schools and other institutions.

Obviously this will only apply to Germany.

Read the full article here

#185 User is offline   toxicsnip3r Icon

Posted 19 June 2010 - 09:59 PM

Look.. I think that the German government is just being over-protective. My thoughts on this whole situation is that, yes, the game is bloody, but who cares???? I personaly know 10 & 11 year olds who play the game and their parents don't give a flip about it....and they don't think that It's fine to kill people in real life. As a mateeer of fact I just turned 11 and yet every day I think about all the people who were killed or murdered or slaghtered and say to myself "that just isn't right!"

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#186 User is offline   Txc Icon

• Account: txc
  • Main tag: [Sk&Bh]

Posted 21 June 2010 - 07:13 AM

View PostHoney406, on 17 June 2010 - 06:53 AM, said:

Thought you might find this interesting. It's an article about how the Karmapa, one of the major Tibetan Buddhist spiritual leaders, feels about playing "violent" video games. I played UrT against a Buddhist monk recently and he kicked my butt! :biggrin:

The Times India-
Trinley Dorje is a pretty hip guy. Like many 24-year-olds, he's into popular music and video games. He's also the Karmapa Lama - the only senior Buddhist leader recognized by the governments of China, India and Tibet.
Giving an interview to The Times of India, Dorje doesn't find his interest in violent video games to be inconsistent with his philosophy or his stature within Buddhism.

"I view video games as something of an emotional therapy, a mundane level of emotional therapy for me. We all have emotions whether we're Buddhist practitioners or not, all of us have emotions, happy emotions, sad emotions, displeased emotions and we need to figure out a way to deal with them when they arise.
So, for me sometimes it can be a relief, a kind of decompression to just play some video games. If I'm having some negative thoughts or negative feelings, video games are one way in which I can release that energy in the context of the illusion of the game. I feel better afterwards.
The aggression that comes out in the video game satiates whatever desire I might have to express that feeling. For me, that's very skilful because when I do that I don't have to go and hit anyone over the head."

The interviewer asks if his mediation should be taking care of such urges and he politely brushes her off. "No, video games are just a skillful method," he says.

"You know, I have felt oddly ... serene ... after playing Left 4 Dead."

Link to full article:
http://kotaku.com/53...-for-aggression

True ,
the virtual violence is the violence of one peacefull world .

#188 User is offline   TakedaIesyu Icon

• Account: takedaiesyu

Posted 22 June 2010 - 05:50 PM

I think that the German government is trying to prevent a "No Russian" (see Modern Warfare 2) with this sort of thing, and I don't blame them! However, they should allow children to play games with sanctions with their parent's explicit authorization.

#189 User is offline   Critofur Icon

• Account: critofur

Posted 13 July 2010 - 09:25 PM

View PostRav3n, on 14 April 2010 - 06:56 PM, said:

I think UrT's main argument is the possibility to turn blood off, thus reducing the level of gore to minimum.

IMO this would make it WORSE, it would make the violence seem more "OK". Violence should be portrayed as painful and the consequences evident, it should not be candy-coated, unless done as a joke, to make a game humorous?

EDIT: Oh, and I don't think children should play FPS games, they should play outside, and play with other kids (and I don't mean virutally with other kids).

This post has been edited by Critofur: 13 July 2010 - 09:27 PM

#190 User is offline   Zamy Icon

• Account: zamy

Posted 21 July 2010 - 10:19 AM

I agree with Critofur....

• (20 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942