• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Urban Terror and popularity Rate Topic: -----

#41 User is offline   karnute Icon

•   community dev   
  • Account: karnute

Posted 08 July 2016 - 01:01 AM

View PostBladeKiller, on 07 July 2016 - 11:27 PM, said:

They would have to be the same as torso/vest if people want it to be like in 4.1. (which I think is reasonable)

Maybe, groin/butt could get fixed damage same as kevlar hits independently of wearing a vest or not. That way, there is not advantage to aim lower, but they get more damage than legs, and it makes a little difference with torso without vest.

#43 User is offline   dynomite33 Icon

• Account: dynomite33
  • Main tag: [SQD]

Posted 08 July 2016 - 05:27 PM

HD isn't just a fresh start in terms of graphics or engine features, it is also a fresh start in terms of game design

Except for the fact that people are going to expect it to play and behave a certain way because it is a "sequel" to the original
IGN : Ernst

Wo ist Schmidt?

#45 User is offline   Delerius Icon

• Account: delerius

Posted 12 July 2016 - 09:03 PM

Hi,

I used to play this game religiously dating back from beta 1 all the way to beta 2.4, and I would have to say that was the prime era of this games popularity. I believe the game lost sight of what it once was and I believe some changes over the years has only led to the degradation of the game as a whole. I strongly consider 2.3 to be the most absolute fun era of the game mainly because of the damage values and the game not being too fast( please hear me out ). The game used to be a bit more tactful and the maps were actually built for the games speed... I've posted it numerous times over the years but the helmet is grossly overpowered.

I came back during beta 4.1 circa 2007-2009 to play with /VeX/ for FTWGL for a couple years and played numerous pickup games and befriended alot of euro players namely alot of them from 7 golden vampires mauri, d0min0, loki, joram and they are all fantastic players, a couple other euros really emphasized the importance of movement to me (Mr. Banana and Joram especially and I think Ryujinn was another player who blew me away with his skill).

I realize some people thoroughly enjoy the movement aspect of the game, but at times I thought it was completely ridiculous especially with powersliding which was a feature I got used to, but absolutely hated due to their being no sound whatsoever of the slide... but it wasn't too much of an issue if you knew how people moved across maps and the timings. I will say my former experience with 2.0-2.4 was way more enjoyable because while it was still fast (nowhere near as fast as 4.0-1)... it still felt better and the damage values led to just absolute domination in terms of taking people down faster.

While good aim is rewarded alot of the time, and you hear people constantly whine about "hits" (which was never really never a term) during the beta 2.0-2.4 days and you'd maybe hear this server sux ass or something occasionally, but I think people were more inclined to scream it when they THINK their mouse was on a target going extremely fast with a powerslide. It just seems so gimmicky nowadays with the speed that's established and the helmet being as strong as it is 51% really...?

I'm not trying to hate I'm just saying you take the popularity of previous generations of the game and you compare them to the numbers now... While that's not completely fair as urt is an old game nowadays... but circa 2000-2003 alot of fps players knew what it was... nowadays people look at you as you are some joker. I remember playing Dirty Bomb and did very well and another former Urt Player Sonbang who played for ZFZ (Legendary Tribes team and have some history in Urt as well) was one of the best in the world (former Urt Player... who was imho the absolute best 2.0-2.4 urt player undisputed) who was arguably the best Fragger player in the game... but people would ask wtf urt was and that's a crying shame :/.

I also miss PIT BBQ and his lil winamp shoutcast radio sessions... oswald was cancer. I haven't played the game for quite some time but whenever I get messages from old vets we always talk about the old times and think about how great the game used to be. I'd hate to say it but when sweetnutz left the game just went int a constant gradual decline.

This post has been edited by Delerius: 12 July 2016 - 09:11 PM

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#46 User is offline   hydr0 Icon

• Account: hydr0

Posted 13 July 2016 - 04:16 PM

View PostDelerius, on 12 July 2016 - 09:03 PM, said:

Hi,

I used to play this game religiously dating back from beta 1 all the way to beta 2.4, and I would have to say that was the prime era of this games popularity. I believe the game lost sight of what it once was and I believe some changes over the years has only led to the degradation of the game as a whole. I strongly consider 2.3 to be the most absolute fun era of the game mainly because of the damage values and the game not being too fast( please hear me out ). The game used to be a bit more tactful and the maps were actually built for the games speed... I've posted it numerous times over the years but the helmet is grossly overpowered.

I came back during beta 4.1 circa 2007-2009 to play with /VeX/ for FTWGL for a couple years and played numerous pickup games and befriended alot of euro players namely alot of them from 7 golden vampires mauri, d0min0, loki, joram and they are all fantastic players, a couple other euros really emphasized the importance of movement to me (Mr. Banana and Joram especially and I think Ryujinn was another player who blew me away with his skill).

I realize some people thoroughly enjoy the movement aspect of the game, but at times I thought it was completely ridiculous especially with powersliding which was a feature I got used to, but absolutely hated due to their being no sound whatsoever of the slide... but it wasn't too much of an issue if you knew how people moved across maps and the timings. I will say my former experience with 2.0-2.4 was way more enjoyable because while it was still fast (nowhere near as fast as 4.0-1)... it still felt better and the damage values led to just absolute domination in terms of taking people down faster.

While good aim is rewarded alot of the time, and you hear people constantly whine about "hits" (which was never really never a term) during the beta 2.0-2.4 days and you'd maybe hear this server sux ass or something occasionally, but I think people were more inclined to scream it when they THINK their mouse was on a target going extremely fast with a powerslide. It just seems so gimmicky nowadays with the speed that's established and the helmet being as strong as it is 51% really...?

I'm not trying to hate I'm just saying you take the popularity of previous generations of the game and you compare them to the numbers now... While that's not completely fair as urt is an old game nowadays... but circa 2000-2003 alot of fps players knew what it was... nowadays people look at you as you are some joker. I remember playing Dirty Bomb and did very well and another former Urt Player Sonbang who played for ZFZ (Legendary Tribes team and have some history in Urt as well) was one of the best in the world (former Urt Player... who was imho the absolute best 2.0-2.4 urt player undisputed) who was arguably the best Fragger player in the game... but people would ask wtf urt was and that's a crying shame :/.

I also miss PIT BBQ and his lil winamp shoutcast radio sessions... oswald was cancer. I haven't played the game for quite some time but whenever I get messages from old vets we always talk about the old times and think about how great the game used to be. I'd hate to say it but when sweetnutz left the game just went int a constant gradual decline.

Delerius the last thing this game needs now is slower gameplay with higher damage values, let's just remind ourselves of how campy TS favored competition even at the highest level with the current game speed.

Frankly this isn't like the old days now with some people playing on crappy PC and the pros played on high-end setups, even your daily pub noobs gets 125 fps now. Higher damage values just credits some average Joe instant killing you because he happened to see you first.

Even now in 4.2 with silly high damage values at the groin and butt the skill ceiling has lowered as a whole in the entire gameplay.

#47 User is offline   ringel Icon

• Account: ringel
  • Main tag: =SC=

Posted 13 July 2016 - 07:48 PM

View PostDelerius, on 12 July 2016 - 09:03 PM, said:

I used to play this game religiously dating back from beta 1 all the way to beta 2.4, and I would have to say that was the prime era of this games popularity.

Any numbers to support your claim? I wasn't around back than, so I have no idea if this is true or just the feeling of a player who liked the game design of 1-2.4 the most.

#48 User is offline   Delerius Icon

• Account: delerius

Posted 14 July 2016 - 03:10 AM

No real idea how I can pull numbers up... but it wasn't uncommon to log onto ASE ( All Seeing Eye ) and constantly see 1200+ and 2300+ any prime time hours players at any given time. Hydr0 I agree on your point to an extent,but even during the 2.0 era the game was still fast if you knew how to move properly. I dunno one thing that always irked me was the helmet when I came back... and how it was always in every single loadout. I just wandered why it just wasn't combined into kevlar+helmet in one item slot, but it was still a enjoyable game just wasn't quite the same.

I dunno maybe I'm just getting old :/, but it's nice to know URT is still around and I believe I still saw BladeKillers name floating around ;) **Waves** to the talented lady. I thought i'd throw my opinion in the mix, and only wish the team well! I'll def check the game out again when it gets ported for sure!

This post has been edited by Delerius: 14 July 2016 - 03:12 AM

#49 User is offline   hydr0 Icon

• Account: hydr0

Posted 14 July 2016 - 04:08 AM

View PostDelerius, on 14 July 2016 - 03:10 AM, said:

No real idea how I can pull numbers up... but it wasn't uncommon to log onto ASE ( All Seeing Eye ) and constantly see 1200+ and 2300+ any prime time hours players at any given time. Hydr0 I agree on your point to an extent,but even during the 2.0 era the game was still fast if you knew how to move properly. I dunno one thing that always irked me was the helmet when I came back... and how it was always in every single loadout. I just wandered why it just wasn't combined into kevlar+helmet in one item slot, but it was still a enjoyable game just wasn't quite the same.

I dunno maybe I'm just getting old :/, but it's nice to know URT is still around and I believe I still saw BladeKillers name floating around ;) **Waves** to the talented lady. I thought i'd throw my opinion in the mix, and only wish the team well! I'll def check the game out again when it gets ported for sure!

Delerius I don't know why you are so caught up on the usage of helmet and this support for bringing high damage values back.

Higher the damage values = lower the skill ceiling. (Just like the current state of 4.2 compared to 4.1)

Higher damages literally allows any player to kill you simply by spotting you first with no chance of you shooting back at them. There is no more 180 degree turn bam I shot you dead although you started to shoot at me first type action. (Which I'm sure you did plenty of times in 4.1)

I wasn't around during the 2.0 era but I've seen match play footage on youtube and everyone played like pub noobs of today lol (Probably due to majority of players playing on 40 fps)

I have a feeling you are currently under the influence of UrT nostalgia since I'm pretty sure you want higher skill ceiling in the game, not lower.

• (10 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942