Posted 09 January 2009 - 11:45 AM

i love this map!
+1 for ctf, bomb and ts
+1 for respawns
+1 for minimap
+1 for graphics
+1 for fast gameplay
+1 for the brightness
-1 for.. its not an official map, so im hoping it will be an official one in 4.2

#42 User is offline   PapyRuny Icon

•   former FS member   
    Mapper
  • Account: papyruny

Posted 11 January 2009 - 02:42 PM

ty for your comments  :wink:
hope to see more servers with Kingpin in mapcycles  :evil:

Jungleboy, Kingpin life of crime is great, with dirt talk i remember
RyuuJiN, nice that Kingpin is good for these 3 gametypes ctf+ts+bomb !

#43 User is offline   Dragonne Icon

•   former FS member   
    Mapper
  • Account: dragonne

Posted 11 January 2009 - 03:10 PM

It is a very cool and fun map... but I'm not sure why it would become an official map now that it's been released as a community map this close to 4.2 release (read: within 6 months). Unless there are some significant updates, there is no difference.

Making a map official only means it's in the game pk3 files, and reached a certain level of quality or popularity. Kingpin definitely hits that level of quality, and you have it NOW. You don't have to wait for 4.2 to play it. So again, what's the difference?

A few of the maps I just released were in the running for 4.2, but I decided to release them as community maps so they could be played now, and to hush up the dozens of people on my case to release them. This neither makes them any better or worse than if they had waited for 4.2. So you have to download them separately from the game. Big deal. They're everywhere!! :lol:

Runy, fantastic work. Many kudos sir. :-D

#44 User is offline   Princebuster Icon

Posted 11 January 2009 - 09:35 PM

I think if it was official we would find it included in many more servers.

#45 User is offline   trip Icon

• Account: trip

Posted 11 January 2009 - 11:38 PM

Obviously it would get lots more play if it was included in the official release, sure there is autodownload but many servers only have the standard maps on. There is still only a small group of maps that are played a lot, I think Kingpin is good enough to become one of these but it would have to be an official map.
Also it is good for new players if there is more variety in the standard mapcycle and would help the game be more popular.

Anyway wasn't Kingdom a 3rd party release quite soon before 4.1 which was then included because it was good? What is there to lose by including a really good map like Kingpin in 4.2?

It is a very cool and fun map... but I'm not sure why it would become an official map now that it's been released as a community map this close to 4.2 release (read: within 6 months). Unless there are some significant updates, there is no difference.

Making a map official only means it's in the game pk3 files, and reached a certain level of quality or popularity. Kingpin definitely hits that level of quality, and you have it NOW. You don't have to wait for 4.2 to play it. So again, what's the difference?

A few of the maps I just released were in the running for 4.2, but I decided to release them as community maps so they could be played now, and to hush up the dozens of people on my case to release them. This neither makes them any better or worse than if they had waited for 4.2. So you have to download them separately from the game. Big deal. They're everywhere!! :lol:

Runy, fantastic work. Many kudos sir. :-D

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#46 User is offline   Dragonne Icon

•   former FS member   
    Mapper
  • Account: dragonne

Posted 12 January 2009 - 12:09 AM

Redundancy. It does cause problems, trust me.

#47 User is offline   PapyRuny Icon

•   former FS member   
    Mapper
  • Account: papyruny

Posted 12 January 2009 - 08:45 PM

Well for my own opinion, i would like and be glad if Kingpin will be included in the official release 4.2 for these reasons:

1 : if Kingpin is included in 4.2, Urban Terror can offers more variety maps for new players

2 : the admins use usually the default mapcycle provided in the Urt, except some and i thx to them (like Alpha clan, SG clan, and sorry for whom i forget)

3 : since the 4.0 is released, there are many new players, they discover Urban Terror and the maps included in the pack first, not the customs maps.

4 : all the news players dont know customs maps, where to download, even how to use customs maps, they can be impatient to wait the autodownload and type escape, they can use autodownload but have slow internet connection.

5 : after 3 weeks that Kingpin is released, i can see the map is appreciated for its gameplay and design too by the players (thx to them for keeping the map alive), is there really a problem to add 16/17 Mo (size of Kingpin ) more to the 4.2 release ?

There is not problem of redundancy because if the map is included in 4.2 , the players will install the game in the new folder , not in the same folder than 4.1. I dont see problem that "redundancy" does cause because in the past, kingdom has many beta version and when 4.1 was released, so the official version of kingdom becomes the only version used by servers.

6 : i use the time between now and the date of 4.2 release to build/fix the map in gametype ffa/tdm/bomb and ctf perhaps . TS is good now, not need modif but ffa/tdm/bomb need some little extra ways. i will give roof access for the main central building for ffa/tdm/bomb because these gametype need more area.

#48 User is offline   lee (old) Icon

Posted 12 January 2009 - 09:00 PM

i agree with all of that. anything more than 10m and people often dont want to download it. which is funny because they downloaded the game  :wink:

btw runy, i installed my ATI drivers that came on the CD with my video card, and now the 'wall art' does not distort  :roll: the new catalyst all-in-one drivers have a lot of problems.

#49 User is offline   Nitro (old) Icon

Posted 13 January 2009 - 01:07 AM

I purchased cod4 online and had to download 6+ Gb for that  so  even if Urt  was twice the size ~ 1.5GB  i wouldn't care  either :)

look at all the people that play America's Army  and thats quite a big download..  but the good thing is  you only need to download it once.. then save it to a cd/usb pen/HDD/DVD etc

it also does mean we can have even more maps to choose in our map cycle without worrying about players disconnecting because they have to download maps or because they use Q3A and dont have autodownload support.

also a person with a slow internet connection is more like to download Urt.exe or .zip with everything and just wait for it than  wait 20 mins at a loading screen for just one map when they can just go play on another non-custom server :)

just my thoughts on the matter

#50 User is offline   HotShott (old) Icon

Posted 13 January 2009 - 05:36 PM

Love this map. We loaded it up here at work yesterday and had a blast on it. One of the guys here was getting some invisible walls though.

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942