• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Shader Questions - A query of sorts Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   žalost (old) Icon

• vivisectionist
  • Locationseahorse seahell

Posted 09 August 2009 - 06:14 AM

make your alpha, move it to a new doc and delete that layer from your decal. Flatten your decal document, the right click on the newly flattened layer and hit "add layer mask"

go over to the document containing your alpha channel, ctrl+a to select all, ctrl+c to copy it. Paste it in to your decal document. you should see a difference, and then save it as a 32 bit tga.

textures that use 128 grey and blend on top of a surface do not require an alpha channel.

edit: gimp can be a little gimpy when editing alpha channels. You may have go play around with it.

edit again: on photoshop you can simply paste in the alpha under the channels tab. (this was added for the sake of being linked in the sticky, i am not implying you should get photoshop)

#22 User is offline   FaNtM (old) Icon

• Locationask your mom

Posted 09 August 2009 - 06:22 AM

KERES I LOVE YOU SO MUCH!!! I GOT A DECAL TO WORK!!!! WOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

#23 User is offline   žalost (old) Icon

• vivisectionist

Posted 09 August 2009 - 06:29 AM

you flatten your decal document, right click on the 'background' layer, add layer mask, paste in the alpha. You'll know when you got it.

Once again, just using a 128 grey trans is sooo much easier for overlays. It's really simple. the image should look like this:
http://j.photos.cx/k...decal17-0df.jpg (it is your decal floating over a 128 128 128 grey canvas)

#24 User is offline   žalost (old) Icon

• vivisectionist

Posted 09 August 2009 - 06:32 AM

if you are applying a decal shader to an existing decal, just figure out which of the 2 shaders works best on it. There are more technical ways to determine that, but without any photoshop or gimp experience, the easiest way is to compile it with 2 shaders to find out.

edit: feel free to try out the overlay shader (the first one) on that decal i posted, and see how it blends. (that decal is part of my texture pack i am uploading right now)

#25 User is offline   FaNtM (old) Icon

• Locationask your mom

Posted 09 August 2009 - 06:36 AM

*puts a respect token in keres jar*

keres, you have found a solution to a problem that i've been working on for weeks. there isnt enough that i can do to thank you. the only thing that i can say is: thank you keres, for all that you've done.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#26 User is offline   žalost (old) Icon

• vivisectionist

Posted 09 August 2009 - 06:38 AM

*puts a respect token in keres jar*

keres, you have found a solution to a problem that i've been working on for weeks. there isnt enough that i can do to thank you. the only thing that i can say is: thank you keres, for all that you've done.

ah no problem dude :) all is good.

edit: hah, i didn't see you had already replied saying you got one to work. gj.

#27 User is offline   FaNtM (old) Icon

• Locationask your mom

Posted 10 August 2009 - 08:08 PM

i have antoher problem: my decal works just fine. but, whenever i add somethinhg to my shader, and i flush&reload shaders, and then when i recompile, the decal goes away. any ideas?

#28 User is offline   NulL Icon

•   former FS member   
    Level Designer
  • Account: null

Posted 10 August 2009 - 08:57 PM

Look for it with r_showtris 1, are the triangles there? if so it looks like a shader rendering problem. If there are no triangles then it wont have been compiled into the map properly.

#29 User is offline   FaNtM (old) Icon

• Locationask your mom

Posted 10 August 2009 - 09:39 PM

there are not any triangles where the decal should be. how do i fix this?

#30 User is offline   FaNtM (old) Icon

• Locationask your mom

Posted 11 August 2009 - 10:08 PM

its wierd! it completely goes away on r_showtris!

• (7 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942