Urban Terror Forums: How many up for another community challenge? - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
  • (6 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How many up for another community challenge? Rate Topic: -----

Gauging interest for another mapping challenge

#31 User is offline   Sneaks Icon

•   verified donor   
  • Account: sneaks
  • Main tag: =-KMA-=

Posted 11 November 2010 - 01:13 PM

View Postmindriot, on 11 November 2010 - 10:00 AM, said:

That is a cool idea. Reminds me of ut4_burbs where some of us built houses for lots in the map. Unfortunately, I don't have time for a competition.

Maybe the template is a completed empty room, so then you could just submit little to no modifications and still take part.

#32 User is offline   Drewfin Icon

• Account: drewfin

Posted 11 November 2010 - 06:09 PM

View PostJohnnyenglish, on 11 November 2010 - 07:53 AM, said:

How about the mapping competition is based around a simple template - like this.
(...)
At the end of the competition we could join all the maps together at the portals, merge the shader/images and release a mega map.

Inside the template you can build whatever you like on the theme of the map.

That is a super cool idea, I like it. One suggestion I would make is to put the portals an L or Z-shaped hall so that there's some automatic vis blocking between each person's room when all the maps are joined (assuming an actual door/window and not an actual 'portal' type portal.

#35 User is offline   pss9 Icon

• Account: pss9

Posted 12 November 2010 - 01:50 PM

I don't know if I'm going to participate, but I like the idea.
I think that the challenge must help the creation of new maps or content that can be used in maps.

*cheese factory :blink:

I think that movie studio can be a good candidate. Is going to be dificult to make a consistent map using diferent maps. With a movie studio you can have some flexibility like having diferent scenes.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#36 User is offline   Drewfin Icon

• Account: drewfin

Posted 12 November 2010 - 03:48 PM

Looks right to me, or at least pretty much exactly what I was thinking as far as vis blocking.

#38 User is offline   jtn191 Icon

• Account: jtn191

Posted 13 November 2010 - 06:51 PM

+1, pss9 I like the idea of a movie studio/news studio. each set could be a different theme.

#39 User is offline   mindriot Icon

Posted 13 November 2010 - 09:10 PM

View PostJohnnyenglish, on 13 November 2010 - 07:26 AM, said:

I did have a thought, what if somebody builds a very tall map inside their "template", will it be easy to block this in another map?

Depends on what you mean. Tall inside the template for this map would not be an issue since the hallways will provide all the blocking you'll need. If a template is ported to another map, then that will depend on how it is used in another map.

You could get vertical with this by having two tiers of connecting sections, but that might complicate the process.

#40 User is offline   Sneaks Icon

•   verified donor   
  • Account: sneaks
  • Main tag: =-KMA-=

Posted 14 November 2010 - 01:35 AM

View PostJohnnyenglish, on 12 November 2010 - 01:19 PM, said:

I made a room version for sneaks - saves having to make the walls and floor and structural section.

I'm not suggesting we use these as they are, I'd prefer someone more skilled than I am check them, but it's a start?

Looks good. I like the room sections. I think its a must. Mappers who want more space can open the rooms to any size [vertical], players can submit multiple rooms.

Looks quick and easy for the mappers. What if we make the rooms very deep and create a jump map, with CAH flags to reward players moving quickly through all the map.

If you post the room map I can look over it and have it released next weekend. This will be a speed map comp 9 days.

Also, note; There will be a major 25/31 day map comp over December/January to celebrate mapping the new HD terror, with prize generously donated by Diggs.

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942