• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Urban Terror 4.1.1 update Rate Topic: ****- 6 Votes

#41 User is offline   Rambetter Icon

•   community dev   
  • Account: rambetter

Posted 20 January 2011 - 09:43 PM

It seems that Frozen Sand has made substantial errors when releasing this 4.1.1 patch.

Before I get into that, if you want to try 4.1.1, here are the steps involved, regardless of whether you're the client or the server:

1. Download the file UrbanTerror411_update.zip.

2. The ZIP archive you just downloaded contains 2 files inside it:
- ut4_commune.pk3, which is just a plain old 3rd party map just like any other (you can use it in either 4.1 or in 4.1.1)
- zpak001_assets.pk3

3. Place zpak001_assets.pk3 into the same directory where your zpak000_assets.pk3 resides.

Now here are the problems.

First, note that there are many permutations of possiblilities. I see that there are 4 variables in determining the outcome:

1. Which client version you have (plain vanilla, mitsubishi client, or ioquake3 vanilla [rare])

2. Which server version you have. The choices here are plain vanilla unpatched server binary, Rambetter's ioUrT-server-4.1 branch (behavior will be identical to plain vanilla unpatched binary), Rambetter's ioquake3-UrT-server-4.1 branch, and variations thereof (using different patches).

3. Whether or not client has the 4.1.1 zpak.

4. Whether or not server has the 4.1.1 zpak.

Now from my experiments using different permutations, it seems that in almost all cases (in all of the common cases), a client that is running the 4.1.1 zpak _will_ be able to connect to a server running just 4.1 with no problems.

So upgrading your client to 4.1.1 will not hurt your ability to connect to old 4.1 servers.

Now, one of the mistakes that Frozen Sand made is that they named a heavily modified map with the same name. For example, they've included ut4_tombs in 4.1.1, which is drastically different from the original 4.1 ut4_tombs (and they have the same BSP name).

With Tombs map, if you're a 4.1.1 client connecting to a 4.1 server, you will have no problem. The client will load the old version of the map and all will be well.

However, if you're a 4.1 client connecting to a 4.1.1 server, really bad things will happen (I say "bad" because the behavior is very unexpected with no clear error message). you will actually be able to connect, but when you enter in-game, you won't be able to walk normally. There will appear to be invisible walls blocking you and you won't be able to walk down a simple hallway. This is because the server has the new Tombs loaded, but your client shows you the old Tombs. Frozen Sand should have named the revised maps to different names so that errors when connecting would be more predictable.

I think a better move altogether would have been to release these new maps as independent PK3 files.

Anyhow, the News on the UrT website states:

"WARNING: This update will break compatibility with most 4.1 servers. Request the admins to update their servers."

This is misleading. Like I said, it seems that updating your client to 4.1.1 will not put you in any danger of not being able to connect to an old 4.1 server.

Now I actually went ahead and created a 4.1.1 server. I have all the revised maps on this server's mapcycle:

ut4_casa
ut4_company
ut4_docks
ut4_harbortown
ut4_herring
ut4_horror
ut4_ramelle
ut4_ricochet
ut4_subway
ut4_swim
ut4_thingley
ut4_tombs
ut4_uptown

(If you want to test, it's /connect porky.clanwtf.net:27966 .)

What's happening on this server is as follows. The map is Tombs. Clients are connecting, and they are trying to walk into walls. They don't know what is going on, and assume that the server is totally busted. They leave. I don't expect this server to retain its popularity for very long (it was top 40 for past month).

I've just described some of the problems with 4.1.1, there are actaully a few others too.

This post has been edited by Rambetter: 20 January 2011 - 10:07 PM

#42 User is offline   Seven of Nine Icon

•   former FS member   
  • Account: sevenofnine
  • Main tag: |it|

Posted 20 January 2011 - 11:28 PM

I've included a mirror on Urban-Zone, you can find it here. I've also made screenshots of the maps. I hope it's useful for some people :)

ut4_ricochet
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

ut4_docks

ut4_commune

ut4_horror

ut4_company

ut4_herring

ut4_uptown

ut4_ramelle

ut4_swim

ut4_tombs

ut4_casa

ut4_harbortown

This post has been edited by Seven of Nine: 20 January 2011 - 11:28 PM

#43 User is offline   OHMEGA Icon

• Account: ohmega
  • Main tag: |ALPHA|

Posted 20 January 2011 - 11:54 PM

The screenshot of uptown is from HD. You can tell from the box planter on red spawn side.

This post has been edited by OHMEGA: 20 January 2011 - 11:57 PM

#44 User is offline   wraith Icon

• Account: wraith

Posted 21 January 2011 - 12:43 AM

View PostOHMEGA, on 20 January 2011 - 11:54 PM, said:

You can tell from the box planter on red spawn side.

or the skybox..

:biggrin:

#45 User is offline   n1n Icon

•   verified user   
  • Account: n1n

Posted 21 January 2011 - 01:10 AM

that was a really bad idea.

because:
a) that should be made so its both ways compatibile Patched/unpached <-> client/server
b) why now? november, december... okay, i get it, but were closer to HD so why should we bother with that 4.1 thing we'd like to throw away and forget ;)
c) think of how many people you just have made confused... players, newbie players, admins, leagues, clans... err are we now 4.1 or 4.1.1, or not? should we? uhm dunno!???
d) should be 4.1a, not 4.1.1 ;)
e) new maps... arent that new at all, people do not care, they saw those ut42_ maps, now maps from HD alpha. new skins, yah, well, who cares ;)

could we please just drop that, and forget it ever happened?
or change the idea of 4.1.1 into something less violent and more compatible ;)
<sXe>

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#46 User is offline   Anomaly Icon

• Account: anomaly
  • Main tag: 6th|

Posted 21 January 2011 - 03:25 AM

no, both the planter and skybox are in the 4.1.1 version of uptown
[img]http://i209.photobuc...c/AnomalyFN.jpg[/img][18:24:31] <RayLewis> 1st annual UrTHD TS TOURNAMENT OF RAGE
[18:24:37] <RayLewis> first clan to get all 5 to show up on a server

#47 User is offline   wraith Icon

• Account: wraith

Posted 21 January 2011 - 05:54 AM

heh yeah.. i just assumed OHMEGA was merely pointing out how one can tell that it's the same map like in HD.. :p

#49 User is offline   Glennz Icon

• Account: glennz

Posted 21 January 2011 - 08:18 AM

View PostBladeKiller, on 21 January 2011 - 08:07 AM, said:

We are a long way from having HD finished and these maps will not be in HD. We released them for 4.1 so the leagues can use them. Some are old favourites people have requested (ut42_ are leaks) and others are updates with fixes like Uptown which has a big hole in it in 4.1.

Wait... uptown, tombs and ramelle will not be in HD....
and EAGLE IS?!?!?!?!

This post has been edited by Glennz: 21 January 2011 - 08:21 AM

• (15 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942