Advertisement
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Brush Holes? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   xlr8r Icon

• Account: xlr8r

Posted 28 May 2011 - 05:04 PM

You all know those orifices or holes, you see when you go past a window inside a building ( take turnpike for example ) I´m talking about how a brush is pushed inside/cut out, so that you can fit a window in there.

The alternative that ive been using is just making 4 brushes ( one on top, below, right and left ) so that a square in between the wall forms.

Of course this
takes more time than actually using the right way

However i do not know how its done. I look at the windows inside Turnpike´s main buildings for example, and see no marks around them, indicating that theres only one brush as a wall, and somehow he clipped an area inside it to form a square.

Where he put a window texture on another smaller brush.

How does he do this? I know the clipping tool well, but i cant figure out how to achieve the same result.

The same exact thing happens when i want to create a staircase leading down into a brush, but i want to maintain the inner walls of course. I cant make a brush and just cut a rectangle inside it :/

How do they do it?

#2 User is offline   NulL Icon

•   former FS member   
    Level Designer
  • Account: null

Posted 28 May 2011 - 05:08 PM

View Postxlr8r, on 28 May 2011 - 05:04 PM, said:

The alternative that ive been using is just making 4 brushes ( one on top, below, right and left ) so that a square in between the wall forms.

This is correct. Brushes MUST be convex, which means they cannot have holes in or be L-shaped.

#3 User is offline   PureFilth Icon

• Account: purefilth
  • Main tag: [#!]

Posted 28 May 2011 - 05:08 PM

Not really sure what you mean but if you want to cut a shape into a wall you can just place the block shape in the wall and use the subtract(?) tool? (ctrl+U - ?? Cant remember)
This will usually split the wall into 3 bits but it is all seem-less leaving the exact size block cut out of your solid surface.

#4 User is offline   xlr8r Icon

• Account: xlr8r

Posted 28 May 2011 - 05:14 PM

View PostNulL, on 28 May 2011 - 05:08 PM, said:

This is correct. Brushes MUST be convex, which means they cannot have holes in or be L-shaped.

How should i do it then? Im making 3 main office buildings, and several windows on each side. Making 4 brushes on each sides of each buildings takes forever xD

Is there any other way?

#5 User is offline   NulL Icon

•   former FS member   
    Level Designer
  • Account: null

Posted 28 May 2011 - 05:17 PM

If you are making rows of windows then you probably only need one brush above and one below all the window, then make the brushes to the sides individually.

Mapping does take forever; get used to it. :)

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#7 User is offline   ValkoVer Icon

•   mapper   
  • Account: valkover

Posted 29 May 2011 - 09:51 PM

I've recompiled ut4_uptown (4.1 version), and brushwork is there very "dirty" too :P

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942