• +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Some help 'n suggestions Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   preat Icon

• Account: preat

Posted 07 November 2004 - 01:27 PM

Hey Macsters...

I really could use some help. As I mentioned in a earlier post im a complete n00b at mac/os x. And I will NOT choose wether it'll be mac or pc cause i can use 'em both. But i like mac and its "slickness" that u NEVER EVER can find in/on a pc. Now to some questions...

I have:

iMac, pixar studios mac;)
1,25 ghz
768 ddr ram
Nvidia fx 5200 64 mb
17' widescreen (?) flat/thin

1) Videomode in UrT, I choose 856*480 Widescreen, next time i launch UrT its back to 640*480 - Why?

2) When loading casa: failed at hunkaloc bla, bla.. I have set 256 hunkmengs in q3config - Whats the problem?

3) Does UrT use the q3config.cfg in Quake III Arenaq3ut3 folder?

4) The quality (sharpnes) in game sux, its very "dizzy"

5) Mouse accel in config is set to "0", still it acts wierd in game, even though i have set sensitivity to the lowest - still its very fast :(

6) Shortcut (alias) to q3ut?

7) Anyone have a q3config.cfg to share? :)

8) Gamebrowser to osx?

9) tile/console = us keyboard is the only solution?

Sorry for some n00bie questions but i had to ask.

#2 User is offline   trigga (old) Icon

Posted 07 November 2004 - 05:53 PM

1:I think this is how you do custom screen sizes
seta r_mode "-1"
seta r_customwidth "856"
seta r_customheight "480"
2: I would try lowering that, try 192
3:Config for quake and mods is at;
"/Users/<yourUserName>/Library/Application Support/Quake3/q3ut3" 
. this is also where you need to run your PunkBuster "pbweb.app" to update PB to wit;
"/Users/<yourUserName>/Library/Application Support/Quake3/pb/PBWeb.app" 

4:Think that is more to do with the TFT screen, they're not very good for fast movement, how are movies DVDs if you play them?
5: Ok the mouse that is some thing to do with some bug ID corrected in PR 1.32 change (seta in_disableOSMouseScaling "0") to (seta in_disableOSMouseScaling "1") but if you do that you have to reset the mouse speed in the system preferences after you quit the game (that's the bug)
6:there is this;
http://www.ns-co.net...opic.php?t=2649
its from the NAvy Seals covert ops mod site but it does UT aswell
or you can make an Apple Script like this;
copy and paste this into a new script in script editor
do shell script ("Applications/Quake3/Quake3.app/Contents/MacOS/Quake3 +set fs_game q3ut3") 

compile the script (press keypad enter, all the code should "sort its self" or your'e informed of any errors)
save as an Application, paste that new icon http://www.forums.ur...opic.php?t=3402
more here http://www.ns-co.net...e=quote&p=27953
7:erm…
8:OnlyMortal or GameRanger
9:F13 for console

#3 User is offline   preat Icon

Posted 07 November 2004 - 06:48 PM

First... Many thx for your answers m8 - appreciated alot :D

1)
So u mean that these settings will remain?

2)
Hehe... Thought that higher hunkmegs was better :roll:

3)
So that config is the one that I must change in? Not the one in Quake III Arenaq3ut3 mapp? And about pbweb, I put that appl into Users/<yourUserName>/Library/Application Support/Quake3/pb and then run it...

4)
Tested a dvd film, guess your right here :evil:

7) No config 4 Preat? :wink:

Once again - Thx m8

#4 User is offline   fragomatic Icon

• Account: fragomatic

Posted 07 November 2004 - 10:33 PM

All i can say is, bake your own config.

#5 User is offline   preat Icon

Posted 08 November 2004 - 11:09 AM

yeye... i'll do that - Im lazy, thats all :lol:

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   codey (old) Icon

• Locationrepublic.stockholm.se

Posted 08 November 2004 - 12:14 PM

To answer 1 and 4:

In both your home/Library/Application Support/Quake3/baseq3 and q3ut3 q3config.cfg files find and change these cvars

seta r_customaspect "1"
seta r_customheight "960"
seta r_customwidth "1280"
seta r_mode "-1"

To avoid some of the fuzziness try setting height and width to the screens native resolution (look in the System Preferences>Displays for what's your max) as settling lower resolutions make the screen interpolate new pixels on the fly. However you still have a problem with this;
TFTs have a refresh rate in the range of about 40 fps that the manufacturers hide by calling it 'response time' and define it in milliseconds. Divide 1 with that number and you get the fps. This means that in Q3 you'll often get two (or even three) frames displayed at once in top and bottom section of the screen on a TFT. For gaming and video CRTs are still much better unfortunatly, both regarding refresh rates and colour fidelity. (I work as a video editor and have banned TFTs for my work but they look nice at the reception desk)

2. The total sum of com_hunkmegs, com_soundmegs and com_zonemegs shouldn't go above 2/3 of available ram and hunkmegs not more than half ram. So 256 sound ok. All *megs values should be even divisions of 8. Mine are 256, 32 & 48.

5. I use USB Overdrive to get a good mouse response in Q3, with it you can tailor mouse response individually for every application you want and have a global setting for the rest.
http://www.usboverdrive.com/

8. http://homepage.mac.com/only_mortal

Finally a speed tip for mac OSX. As Q3 1.32 handles sound rather fast on the cpu try s_mixahead "0.1" for UrT (in vanilla Q3 I have 0.05) for some 5-10% better frame rate. Also s_chunksize "2048" or "4096" improve performance, the 1.32 default is 512, just respect the power of 2 sequence on the values. Myself I notice a delay in the sound at 4096 so I stay at 2048 but that's probably due to editing video for far too many years.

Also note that there is are two Q3 1.32 builds for mac, the one with G4 altivec optimizations is faster but alas id's mac guy left the company before fixing bugs in it both affecting stabilty and sound quality. I stick with the standard one.

"But i like mac and its "slickness" that u NEVER EVER can find in/on a pc"

You got that one right, baby! :D

Hope this helps
cheers

#7 User is offline   Roadkill (old) Icon

• Locationroyal.stockholm.se

Posted 09 November 2004 - 02:22 PM

About the TFT, you should run the game in the same res as in your system. TFT's have a recommended setting and if you go away from there it tend to get blurry.

#8 User is offline   preat Icon

Posted 10 November 2004 - 02:08 PM

Many thx all - appreciated :)

#9 User is offline   preat Icon

Posted 22 November 2004 - 02:29 PM

/Users/<yourUserName>/Library/Application Support/Quake3/q3ut3"
. this is also where you need to run your PunkBuster "pbweb.app" to update PB to wit;

So pbweb.app shall not be in Quake III Arena/PB <-- run it from there? Shall i put pbweb.app in my q3ut3 dir??

#10 User is offline   codey (old) Icon

• Locationrepublic.stockholm.se

Posted 22 November 2004 - 03:00 PM

/Users/<yourUserName>/Library/Application Support/Quake3/pb

If you don't have that folder create it and place PBWeb there and run it. It can be slow doing the job depending on Even Balance's serverload at any given moment.

In case you don't have PBWeb get it here
http://www.evenbalan...ge=updatepb.php

cheers

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored link
https://www.frozensand.com/

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942