Urban Terror Forums: Urban Terror maps on Wolfenstein Enemy Territory - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Urban Terror maps on Wolfenstein Enemy Territory Rate Topic: -----

Unbelievable Urban Terror maps on Wolfenstein Enemy Territory

#11 User is offline   PureFilth Icon

• Account: purefilth
  • Main tag: [#!]

Posted 14 September 2011 - 05:00 PM

Indeed it is an issue taking something and of course people are accountable online, not just this kind of thing but even social networking can get you arrested and jail/prison time, but what about just taking it personally just to try stuff out? I don't care so much, I haven't been visited by upholders of the law in years It'd be nice to see how those lovely people are doing :wink:

Would you say that is as bad as say taking something and sharing it with people?
I could understand if people completely pulled out a map from the game with the intent of playing multiplayer on another Q game with it, that people of the team would react at that, but a single person just having a little personal fun checking stuff out? I wouldnt say that is morally wrong.
From what I understand that is what the guy OP has referenced has done, since literally nobody would or want to play any URT map on W:ET because there is nothing to do on URT maps.

Also I'm not sure about WOP licence on its stuff, but last time I looked there was 4+ servers running WOP_ maps and I assume they are direct rips, I didn't care to find out since there was only a couple playing. You may want to look into those servers.

#12 User is offline   RobDistorted Icon

•   former FS member   
    Animator
  • Account: robdistorted

Posted 14 September 2011 - 05:56 PM

View PostPureFilth, on 14 September 2011 - 05:00 PM, said:

Indeed it is an issue taking something and of course people are accountable online, not just this kind of thing but even social networking can get you arrested and jail/prison time, but what about just taking it personally just to try stuff out? I don't care so much, I haven't been visited by upholders of the law in years It'd be nice to see how those lovely people are doing :wink:

Would you say that is as bad as say taking something and sharing it with people?
I could understand if people completely pulled out a map from the game with the intent of playing multiplayer on another Q game with it, that people of the team would react at that, but a single person just having a little personal fun checking stuff out? I wouldnt say that is morally wrong.
From what I understand that is what the guy OP has referenced has done, since literally nobody would or want to play any URT map on W:ET because there is nothing to do on URT maps.

Also I'm not sure about WOP licence on its stuff, but last time I looked there was 4+ servers running WOP_ maps and I assume they are direct rips, I didn't care to find out since there was only a couple playing. You may want to look into those servers.

Well, to be honest, if one person uses something for their own education then most don't take issue, its when things are taken and released elsewhere that people get annoyed, because that is their work, being redistributed without their consent.

Gaining an education using assets and taking those assets and redistributing them without consent is two different things. Sometimes people want to show off what they did[with someone else' work] but fail to ask if its ok to show the public something that isn't theirs.

Although some companies seem to be ok with these things, many others are not. When buying a dvd, you have the right to watch the movie, but no right to redistribute it, it isn't your work to redistribute. Perhaps if the map had been worked on from scratch, was of a higher detail/quality and was shown off in a better light, as if to pay homage to the original then it may be a different story, but to take what is someone elses, and just half-heartedly throw it into an old engine, and not make it look good[due to the engine] insults the original.

Maybe if people simply asked to do these things, said "look at what i did, can i show it off a bit" then things could be more open, but as it is now in the gaming world people are happy to take take take. You/We can all gain so very much by being honest and good people, there is nothing wrong with respecting a person who has lovingly created something by simply asking them if you can show off what you have learnt.

Showing off what you have learnt is cool, asking the person who has put in the work of creating that asset if its OK to show it off is even better.

So yeah, i personally have no issue with people learning, but i take issue with people taking and redistributing without the consent of the assets creator.

#13 User is offline   theRipper Icon

• Account: theripper
  • Main tag: CMM|

Posted 14 September 2011 - 06:35 PM

btw theres hundreds of maps that use urt asset textures/shaders. is this ok?
A.K.A. [idgaf.]Face(Clan Leader)

#14 User is offline   RobDistorted Icon

•   former FS member   
    Animator
  • Account: robdistorted

Posted 14 September 2011 - 06:44 PM

View PosttheRipper, on 14 September 2011 - 06:35 PM, said:

btw theres hundreds of maps that use urt asset textures/shaders. is this ok?

I guess it would depend if FS had exclusive rights to use those assets or created them.

and would depend on whether the textures used were free-to-use textures that others had distributed for free.

and would depend on whether the assets they created were released under a a licence that permits the use of said assets. But i aren't the person to really answer this, Bladekiller could give you a better answer.

#15 User is offline   theRipper Icon

• Account: theripper
  • Main tag: CMM|

Posted 14 September 2011 - 06:55 PM

about half of the 3rd party maps include these textures in them :/

kinda late now. but id like to know
A.K.A. [idgaf.]Face(Clan Leader)

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#18 User is offline   Txc Icon

• Account: txc
  • Main tag: [Sk&Bh]

Posted 15 September 2011 - 01:52 AM

''Right of Might or Might of Right'' , it was said that phrase is a moral dilemma , but it is not true , only the 1 is true ( guess which 1 ) , it is not dilemma at all .
To say that act of copy-pasting is wrong or not cannot change it .

''Every action has a reaction''

If there is a real license it should work , the real license is not just something written on paper , it must have ''weight'' .

#19 User is offline   thewonderboy Icon

• Account: thewonderboy

Posted 19 September 2011 - 10:32 AM

IMO, sometimes its just good to screw copyrights :biggrin:

But in this case... Lousy, ugly port with no effort to make it fit into the game with totaly different textures stolen from other map is realy... Sad, as said: if a fan wants to show love againts the game and he wants to bring that concent over to other game its just healthy, especialy if its being done in most respectfull manner. Take the MW2 gun mod for DOOM as example, it has quite some ripping (such as gun sounds) but the modder saw some real effort to represent models and animations in very simple DOOM format (which doesnt even use 3D models)

Thats respectfull and very neat work. However this (URT maps in WET) is an instance where the person went with quanity over quality and took an easy rout.

Hell, even if ripping URT maps and retexturing them with quality, homemade textures and adding more detail models or even altering the gameplay so it would fit WETs action while clearly stating in the readme "ima non leggit biach. Here you have an awsume mappacj full of nice maps not desinged by me" would be all okay for me.

Ofcourse this is just my POV :mellow:

See the lovely Mrs. Search Function?
She wants to make out with you.
~OOM91

Jelly? Yes very jelly... in fact, I am * jam. No amount of sandwich spread can express my emotions.
~IIL_NODERUS

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942