• You cannot reply to this topic

Is Map Making Craft dying? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   MajkiFajki Icon

•   former FS member   
    Mapper
  • Account: majkifajki

Posted 13 January 2012 - 12:45 PM

This topic was inspired by one of the comments on this board:

I don't know why, maybe because of the thought that even if I do get it to a completed stage, it will just be ignored and not used on any servers.

This is topic specially for old school players, because you play this game for years.

WTF?

I noticed, there are tons of map making related topics on this forums, but mostly in the archived part of forums. Recently map making has slowed down as hell. Used to be a millions of maps before, recently very little releases. Why is that happening?

Is Urban Terror truly all about this:

Posted Image

?

Map Making is one of the greatest benefits from open sourced Quake3 - free tools, tons of documentation, millions of free textures - we should have servers filled with extra levels.

This post has been edited by MajkiFajki: 13 January 2012 - 12:46 PM

#2 User is offline   Nexu Icon

•   clan leader   
  • Account: nexu
  • Main tag: |it|

Posted 13 January 2012 - 03:09 PM

Problem is that making a map is the easy part. But designing a map with proper game-play is harder.

There are a few custom maps which has a good game-play for them. Think of Tohunga and Orbital.

But it seems like generally people spend lots of time and effort in making the map looks good. While putting relatively few effort into the game-play aspect. Like having too much, too narrow choke points that doesn't a fit a public games nor competitive games.

Than there are maps with good game-play, but only for public servers; With 20 or more players running around them. Rather than being specifically designed for 5v5 or 6v6.
But the other side is also true. Where maps being designed for 5v5/6v6 but unsuitable for any larger number of players. Hence never becoming popular for the general UrT population that roams between the larger and populated servers.

#3 User is offline   Driller Icon

•   community admin   
  • Account: driller
  • Main tag: uJ|

Posted 13 January 2012 - 03:21 PM

Few thoughts to throw in, im no mapper or old school!

Probably a lot are active on cmm website.
Jumpers are mostly active on urtjumpers.
Both sites were not active during the old school days.
Maybe mappers dont need to share all maps on this site, many community sites, and actually a lot of maps are released each week
Maybe mappers wanna wait for urthd with new fragmodes, and others assume that max players is and will be 24, there you have your: another turnpike please, because i wanna make another boardwalk but NOT for 24 players max.

And there are maybe less players then 3 years ago, not sure.
But sure there are much more servers now, making the average playernumber on server lower, likely you think that less players play your map.

And i think if you are old school, you must have seen most variations by now.
After playing 1000's of maps, its more about redesigning old sctructures and pimpimg them up. And they stick to what they know already, why make new maps if they are nothing new to the 2000 maps already, besides some fancy upgrading.

Or, when 4.0 was released everybody HAD to make new maps, or update the old ones. And there werent that many maps at that time, i assume, so map community HAD to make new maps, now you need more than a year to see all 4.x maps once.......
Maybe now mappers think: i make 1 map, and in my maprepository i have more than 2000 4.x maps. Is it worthwhile to put a lot of energy in making a new one?

#4 User is offline   ValkoVer Icon

•   mapper   
  • Account: valkover

Posted 13 January 2012 - 04:32 PM

...said nub that don't want to play my sexy maps :sad:

#5 User is offline   MajkiFajki Icon

•   former FS member   
    Mapper
  • Account: majkifajki

Posted 13 January 2012 - 04:36 PM

...said nub that don't want to play my sexy maps

Too bad this website is not for adults only.

#6 User is offline   slackin Icon

• Account: slackin
  • Main tag: GlaD-

Posted 13 January 2012 - 04:38 PM

Well, tbh, before del came along, the last person to make a stand to help new/upcoming mappers was wily duck. The rest of the 'pro' mappers have little time to help new beginers. There is a ton of p2p help and resources availible, but they aren't quite the same as talking to people with years experience. And tbh, mapping for q3/urt is pretty bad, I mean, yes you *can* use models for a maps terrian but its highly difficult and messes with collision detection and getting the clipping just right is a pain. Not to mention clipping and all the funky entities which are sparsely documented. The documentation is hard to find and some of it is .... dont want to say 'poorly worded' but ... not comprehensive enough for newer mappers. Places like CMM would be great if they were run by mature, respectable, upstanding members of the community, but from my understanding that is not the case. There also should be more interaction between the leagues and mappers, only a few mappers actually communicate with the leagues and league players. (maybe this is being a 'ego-tistical american' but it also seems than Urban-Zone is a bit flooded with teams and players, many many many being very noobish, not that thats a bad thing, but they dont really get the gameplay layout and balance of a urt map as well as the more experienced players, and most of the experienced players act to snotty to actually help the mappers with layout and design, instead they just sneer and make remarks about how bad the map is.
Personally I would love to see a mapping community that was overseen by FS directly, maybe not 'run' by FS but managed for quality by FS, using a sub-set of admins/mappers to build/run the community.

PS: I am not saying that anything I said is a FACT, it is all an opinion and there are exceptions to every generality. So don't think I'm talking about you.
[img]http://i188.photobuc...n35/urt/sig.jpg[/img]
/*----------------------------------------------------------------------
All normal mapped(bump mapped) and specular mapped .|^|.
Just a few of many, and more to come.
----------------------------------------------------------------------*/

#7 User is offline   xandaxs Icon

•   mapper   
  • Account: xandaxs
  • Main tag: CMM|

Posted 13 January 2012 - 05:21 PM

I rather aim at the quality of maps then the quantity...
You should too have that in your statistics..

Nowadays less maps are being released, perhaps maps with bigger potential quality are being released?

#8 User is offline   theRipper Icon

• Account: theripper
  • Main tag: CMM|

Posted 15 January 2012 - 01:18 AM

theres hundreds of maps ive never seen before and have yet to see. its not they arent being made. its that they arent being published properly. some arent even published. they just appear randomly on a server.

and alot of the maps lack quality. the few that are properly made and thought out fall to the wayside because of players thinking they know better. and that they could do better. so they dont play the map.

im not sure because i wasnt around but were default FS maps well-liked when they first came out? i think people have come to like these maps because they have been played so much over the years.

players take their first impression of a map and dont give it a chance. i myself am guilty of that.

my suggestion is force your map into a mapcycle until people get a real opinion of it.
A.K.A. [idgaf.]Face(Clan Leader)

#9 User is offline   Rayne Icon

• Account: rayne

Posted 15 January 2012 - 04:18 AM

Slackin backup those arguments against CMM with facts, otherwise you're just talking out of your ass. Like always.

hhah I'm guessing BludshoT must have been bitching to Slackin.
Birds of a feather i suppose lol.

This post has been edited by Rayne: 15 January 2012 - 04:21 AM

#10 User is offline   DagF Icon

• Account: dagf
  • Main tag: |TNC|

Posted 15 January 2012 - 08:28 AM

I got two things to say:

1. I'm doing my best to get some maps out there, and the reason i haven't done so yet is becouse i got a face-slap last time i released something of poor quality.
Since then i have learned a lot and I hope i know enough now to make a map I whon't get punished for releasing lol(not that bad at all but id like my name to be remembered along with a quality map i have spent much time on. And i got one thing that make my mapmaking take ages, i want to make everything myself).

2. I got an alpha of my map running on my self made server with ctf and 4 bots.
It have been running since late December and i have had 313 different players on my server til now. and a few staying for less then 3min so that they are not noted by gametracker. About 80% stays 5 min or more on my server.

So my map is played by 15 to 20 new ppl a day.

When i look at it. I dont know the number of active urt players but right now there are 600 players online. So when i look at it 300 players in the past 20 days isen't that bad.

My point being: New maps do get played if you get it out on a server!

//Sorry for bad grammar/language

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored link
https://www.frozensand.com/

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942