• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

unreliable upstream, no tarballs Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   SilverFoxZ Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: silverfoxz

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:18 PM

View Postjerrybeansman, on 04 April 2013 - 08:55 PM, said:

Where did these comments come from? These are real issues. I don't see any flaming or personal attacks occuring. This is really valuable feedback for Frozen Sand, at least I certainly hope it is perceived that way. Please don't confuse constructive criticism with baseless trolling.

Im just saying that you should re-read what you post after you wrote it and make sure it doesnt sounds so impolite. Not saying that there should be no criticism, just dont do it like "its all your fault and you are stupid because you dont do this" because thats what it sounded like. Anyways i dont wanna derail the topic anymore than neccercary.
I raise komodo dragons in my spare time

#12 User is offline   JerryBeansMan Icon

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:14 AM

Thanks for explaining, Silver Fox. That is indeed good advice for anyone posting on the internet, in general.
Sometimes it happens that something not intended to be rude, comes off that way. It is therefore important to be specific when you take offense at something, as the poster might not know why you are taking offense.
I am a proponent of explicit communication. It's not enough to say "don't be rude or you get banned" as that only covers posters that are actually trying to be rude, rather than inadvertantly. :smile:

I don't mean to make such a big deal of this but these forums have a reputation for being very hostile to any criticism. I'm not saying it's true or not but it is something the mods and regular members can work to improve.

This post has been edited by jerrybeansman: 05 April 2013 - 12:16 AM

Jerry, a bean soldier, believes he is the strongest warrior in the world, but his true abilities are still untested.

#13 User is offline   havok Icon

•   former FS member   
    Releases Manager
  • Account: havok
  • Main tag: |HSO|

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:15 PM

Just got back to this after a few days, there is a lot that has gone on in the thread, so I will try to cover most things.

I don't mean to make such a big deal of this but these forums have a reputation for being very hostile to any criticism. I'm not saying it's true or not but it is something the mods and regular members can work to improve.

Not the case with me at least and I am sure that this also stands for all other FS members who actually get constructive criticism, I am passionate about getting things working and supporting the community, I do this for my job at a large mobile games company.
I understand that language is sometimes a barrier, which is why I always read a post at least twice to make sure that I have not interpreted it incorrectly. Looking at this for the 20'th time maybe and the original post was not 'constructive' in any possible way and I thank SilverFoxZ for explaining this. The post was trolling but had truth behind it which I wanted to uncover.

Back to the actual issues....

For the updater - it is in development so I am unable to comment on it's future features at this time (anyone who flames me for this, or the fact that we are actively developing WILL get a warning as it is not constructive criticism to question us spending time on something you do not understand)

I did see the full install zip.
I imagine that contains the necessary files for packaging - Is that correct, hasufell, all?

Yes, that is correct I would have thought. The .zip file should be enough in order for packages to be created.

Also I have to remind you, that your updater is and will never be compatible with linux package managers. Are you aware of that? Are you aware that this is the same reason why steam is incompatible with package managers?

This is something that I would love to get resolved. There is a reason that Steam does things that way, which is the system behind the platform, steam works off user authentication which is essential in today's gaming environment as it means they can sync settings, account details, etc, etc. Something that could be quite interesting though is a hybrid solution that utilises the package managers AND the updater.

havok, on 04 April 2013 - 02:04 AM, said:
Using a closed source updater gives a lot of advantages, but we are aware of a number of issues which is why a full .zip file of the game content is provided as well.

How about trust?

I do not see what this has to do with trust, trust is only relevant if we 100% trust everyone who plays urban terror. Based on the number of people that hack in 4.1 how could we even think to trust them with the source code to the updater? That is the reason that it is closed source will remain that way.

So you are wasting time on the updater again instead of working on the game?

No, the slowdown of the updater was not due to what is inside it. You also have to remember that although there is a large active linux community within urban terror, they are still a minority. The updater is very useful for windows and mac users. This is something that you need to take into account with every response, the fact that when the updater is working efficiently then it will work for everyone on every platform.

I think that covers everything that was mentioned.

What I personally would like to see, is the updater being the core of the game and different ways of distributing the data initially.
I am a windows user primarily, so I want to see everything moving away from the old fashioned 'download a zip, extract it to a folder, edit a load of config files, manually type in auth' only to find that you downloaded the old version of the game and need to repeat it all.

Hasufell - you obviously know a lot more than me about linux and how packages are managed. How about writing a post of exactly how to give you a file that can be used across all distributions of linux, what to include on it and how you think it can be integrated with the updater for us to add more features on top.

#14 User is offline   hasufell Icon

• Account: hasufell

Posted 05 April 2013 - 03:21 PM

View Posthavok, on 05 April 2013 - 01:15 PM, said:

The post was trolling but had truth behind it which I wanted to uncover.

The first post already covered the main problem very bluntly. So there was nothing to uncover. I don't want to start a politeness contest here, but I was not rude either.

For the updater - it is in development so I am unable to comment on it's future features at this time

Well, you did and it was vague and confusing.

This is something that I would love to get resolved. There is a reason that Steam does things that way, which is the system behind the platform, steam works off user authentication which is essential in today's gaming environment as it means they can sync settings, account details, etc, etc. Something that could be quite interesting though is a hybrid solution that utilises the package managers AND the updater.

No, that is not possible. At least not without completely breaking the purpose of package managers and how they handle, verify, install and set permissions on files.

I do not see what this has to do with trust, trust is only relevant if we 100% trust everyone who plays urban terror. Based on the number of people that hack in 4.1 how could we even think to trust them with the source code to the updater? That is the reason that it is closed source will remain that way.

Does not compute. When someone hacks opensource, then it's time to improve the source. Guess why the most important parts of server software (or rather all) is always opensource. And besides... closed source does not mean people will not hack it. Windows, any1? Nvidia driver hacks... and whatnot.
And even if I am wrong here (which is very well possible since I am not a game developer), we are still talking about an updater, not something like punkbuster.

No, the slowdown of the updater was not due to what is inside it. You also have to remember that although there is a large active linux community within urban terror, they are still a minority. The updater is very useful for windows and mac users. This is something that you need to take into account with every response, the fact that when the updater is working efficiently then it will work for everyone on every platform.

Given the case that people want to use it. It has a lot of disadvantages too, including precompiled binaries.

What I personally would like to see, is the updater being the core of the game and different ways of distributing the data initially.
I am a windows user primarily, so I want to see everything moving away from the old fashioned 'download a zip, extract it to a folder, edit a load of config files, manually type in auth' only to find that you downloaded the old version of the game and need to repeat it all.

Hasufell - you obviously know a lot more than me about linux and how packages are managed. How about writing a post of exactly how to give you a file that can be used across all distributions of linux, what to include on it and how you think it can be integrated with the updater for us to add more features on top.

That is simple: write a cmake based build system that compiles ioq3-for-UrbanTerror-4 and _optionally_ fetches the data files during BUILD, otherwise the user has to set a folder/zip file location where the data is assumed to be. Desurium does that for example.
That will work for windows, mac and all linux distros.

You have to understand that the updater will _never_ be compatible with package managers.
Binary package managers assume specially packaged tarballs (i.e. deb, rpm, pkg) that just contain files in a directory structure and additional meta information. These tarballs are created by the distributor, there is no to little gain for them with your updater. It rather makes the procedure for them more annoying.
Source package managers (e.g. portage or pacman) need the original upstream files present and available BEFORE it starts doing anything (like compiling). Those files have to be static and must not be fetched during build-time, because that breaks many features and usecases (including Manifests, offline installation and secure fetching) and is banned.
In both cases the installed files are static and are not allowed to change except by root/the package manager.

You cannot satisfy linux distros with your updater. Just let the distributors handle it. We know how to do that. Provide tarballs on time, non-broken and reliable and people will be happy to check on UT when they hear about a version bump.

#15 User is offline   hasufell Icon

Posted 05 April 2013 - 04:58 PM

You also have to remember that although there is a large active linux community within urban terror, they are still a minority.

How do you figure that out? Do you gather ingame statistics of the used platform?

Download statistics say nothing.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#17 User is offline   hasufell Icon

Posted 04 July 2013 - 10:57 PM

The situation has considerably improved.

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942